Hope Over Fear - George Square Today - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hope Over Fear - George Square Today

Salmond and Sturgeon said it was a "once in a lifetime opportunity". If it had been 50.1% Yes then indy would have happened. Yes threw in multiple scare stories including trotting out the old NHS privatisation nonsense. It was a fair and democratic vote. If you can't accept democracy then you're going down the wrong path.

NHS Scotland is very much at risk, and if half the folk that attended this rally yesterday had attended the protest against TTIP on Saturday then we'd have a chance of making a difference.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better together remind me of an abusive spouse.

One minute they are stroking your hair and whispering sweet promises in your ear and then in an instant they have grabbed it and are smashing your face off the table while screaming threats and obscenities... and then it is back to the stroking...

They are mental cases.

It is like you applied for a job only to discover a good friend had also applied. So you both shake hands and agree may the best man win.

As events proceed however you see that your friend has lied, cheated, smeared you, cashed in favours and generally acted like the world biggest imaginable.

And then when you come out afterwards and he has the job he acts like nothing happened, like we are going for pints, like things are the same.

Now that is funny.

The problem is Alan the conduct of the No campaign means there is no moving on, no forgiving, no forgetting.

You poisoned the well, not us.

Which is why you are all on here bleating we 'move on'. Nothing you'd like more I expect.

It was all a bit pointless really, most people were just annoyed by the fact the streets were hard to negotiate due to the eejits milling around.

I could not agree more.

Here is a breakdown of how people voted. I fear the limited poll by Lord Ashcroft has skewed peoples opinions.

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/e1yphtuis8/Final_Prediction_140918_Final_Website.pdf

The Ashcroft poll interviewed 2047 people - hardly limited compared to pre-referendum opinion polls. The YouGov poll still shows it was the coffin-dodgers that sealed it for No though, does it not?

Salmond and Sturgeon said it was a "once in a lifetime opportunity". If it had been 50.1% Yes then indy would have happened. Yes threw in multiple scare stories including trotting out the old NHS privatisation nonsense. It was a fair and democratic vote. If you can't accept democracy then you're going down the wrong path.

You have seen Labour now saying NHS privatisation a real issue post indyref Alan?

So, a majority of the under 60s voted Yes? Sounds good to me.

well spotted. Confirming the Lord Ashcroft poll - it was the older generation who won it for No.

It's not a case of 'if', but 'when'

A majority of under 50's voted yes. They will decide when there's another referendum.

If Westminster delivers on their promise of more powers and Labour are able to deliver the social justice they said was more achievable with a no vote then independence might go away for a generation. If and when the above doesn't happen, people are going to ask why and vote accordingly.

For those who were there, how does your experience of the day tally with this writer? They don't think much of Tommy Sheridan...

http://athousandflowers.net/2014/10/12/despair-in-the-square-with-hopeoverfear/

Sheridan is a feckin' cretin. If in any doubt read the court transcripts of how he treated female witnesses during his trial.

Sheridan is a feckin' cretin. If in any doubt read the court transcripts of how he treated female witnesses during his trial.

Haud on a moment, a few weeks ago he was a pure dead brilliant nationalist, lauded by many on here as one of the good guys.

He was good on Andrew Neil but I did not like the George Square speech, far too shouty and far too much archaic rhetoric about Brothers & Sisters. I also started to get the feeling he was trying to effect a reverse takeover of the SNP to a certain extent positioning independence as an opportunity to enact his vision of Scotland's future. On balance I think he costs us as much as helped us. I think he used it to inject life back into his political career.

It really is critical that the movement for self governance detaches itself from any specific policy position on the right or left wing of the political spectrum. Guys like Tommy scare a lot of other voters away as would having some right-winger give a pro Yes speech.

It should be considered strategically bad form to push any particular policy under the Yes banner. It has been said many times before, this is not about policies it is about Power. To that end I would be tempted to let SNP MPs free vote, i.e. no whip.

Democracy doesn't mean shutting up. Do parties disband after they lose an Election?

No, you campaign for what you believe and try to persuade people that your POV is the correct course of action.

At the moment, the Yes side are basically saying, we are not going away and if you don't deliver on your promises of extra powers(remember the 'Vow' and Browns' almost Federalism/Home rule) then the question will come back about Independence.

Without the threat of Independence we wouldn't have the Scottish Parliament(it was going to kill 'Nationalism stone dead') and we would never had the offer of new powers. If we shut up then we'll get nothing from Westminister.

Without the threat of Independence we wouldn't have the Scottish Parliament(it was going to kill 'Nationalism stone dead') and we would never had the offer of new powers. If we shut up then we'll get nothing from Westminister.

Good point, but there are plenty of Unionists out there that hate the SNP so much, they would rather get rogered senseless for a month with a broom handle than acknowledge that the SNP are right in demanding that the Unionist parties honour their 'vow'.

Many Unionists equate the Scottish parliament with the SNP, and would rather have it abolished than give it an extra grain of power.

I suspect a couple post on this board.

Edited by Rossy

if half the folk that attended this rally yesterday had attended the protest against TTIP on Saturday then we'd have a chance of making a difference.

Jeezo, I wasn't exactly thrilled when I heard they were moving it from Balado either but organisng a protest is a bit much.

These gatherings. Same people doing same thing while the ordinary person shakes their head and gets on with life.

Only 38% of the available electorate voted Yes. Move on.

Yeah the ordinary people are getting on with the important things like shopping.

You don't really understand how democracy works do you.

It was all a bit pointless really, most people were just annoyed by the fact the streets were hard to negotiate due to the eejits milling around.

I could not agree more.

What a hardship. Whether you agree with it or not it wasn't doing you any harm so get over it

For those who were there, how does your experience of the day tally with this writer? They don't think much of Tommy Sheridan...

http://athousandflowers.net/2014/10/12/despair-in-the-square-with-hopeoverfear/

There is some truth in the account of the speakers but the stuff about the crowd is cr4p. They clearly just want to knock the whole day because Tommy was involved. It was a great get together and I bumped into so many people and had some great chats. It was nice to get together and show that we are not going anywhere and to see people I hadn't seen since the referendum.

Democracy. We have a campaign. We have a vote. It is fair and transparent. One side wins. The others respect the decision.

And we have. It was you "Move on" comment that displayed your lack of understanding.