Holyrood Elections 2021 - Page 55 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Holyrood Elections 2021

I find the whole concept of tactical voting abhorrent.

If you’re a Labour guy, with Labour values, but you tote Tory, for nothing other than a wee Union Flag, then you’re probably a fucking moron, you’d rather live in a country with standards that you don’t agree with, for the sake of a flag. Shameful behaviour. Of course this works with Tories voting for Labour. 

I said on here that I didn’t like the idea of Albas concept of a super majority, as it wasn’t democratic, so I don’t think it’s a blinkered viewpoint. 

5 minutes ago, kumnio said:

I find the whole concept of tactical voting abhorrent.

If you’re a Labour guy, with Labour values, but you tote Tory, for nothing other than a wee Union Flag, then you’re probably a fucking moron, you’d rather live in a country with standards that you don’t agree with, for the sake of a flag. Shameful behaviour. Of course this works with Tories voting for Labour. 

I said on here that I didn’t like the idea of Albas concept of a super majority, as it wasn’t democratic, so I don’t think it’s a blinkered viewpoint. 

Labour people voting for a party that has overseen increases in food banks and opposes free school meals is beyond moronic 

Keir Hardie must be spinning in his grave

2 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Labour people voting for a party that has overseen increases in food banks and opposes free school meals is beyond moronic 

It tells you everything you need to know, the number one issue in Scotland is the constitutional issue and people are voting inline with that.

5 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Don't forget the years of Tory priministers ahead as decided by our English neighbours 

This must be the most boring election ever. Looks like being almost exactly the same result as last time. SNP on 60 to 63, Greens about 5 to 7 ish. The rest Unionists. YES/NO stuck at about 50%. Stalemate.

Another 20 years of Tory Westminster subjugation. 

57 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Hmm, cant say I am surprised at that from the sampling I did yesterday in the count in my constituency . I was hoping other areas might pull it up, there are places where the Greens are very popular. 

I think the Greens might do okay in Glasgow.  From what I've seen elsewhere though they've only had modest increases on the list; in some places that could still be enough to swing it though.

Edited by scotlad

50 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

It tells you everything you need to know, the number one issue in Scotland is the constitutional issue and people are voting inline with that.

The thing is it is about denying then Scottish people the choice not voting for independence. They are putting denying that choice over everything else.

25 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

This must be the most boring election ever. Looks like being almost exactly the same result as last time. SNP on 60 to 63, Greens about 5 to 7 ish. The rest Unionists. YES/NO stuck at about 50%. Stalemate.

Another 20 years of Tory Westminster subjugation. 

Yes I kind of see what you are saying. The one elephant in the room could be once the pandemic diminishes the effects of Brexit will become more apparent and re-ignite some fire in the independence fight.

2 minutes ago, Lamia said:

The thing is it is about denying then Scottish people the choice not voting for independence. They are putting denying that choice over everything else.

They're die hard unionists who don't want another referendum. The only purpose of Labour, Tories and Lib dems in Scotland is to keep Scotland in the union. It's up to us to give them a fight, our independence won't be handed to us so we need to make the case.

14 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I think the Greens might do okay in Glasgow.  From what I've seen elsewhere though they've only had modest increases on the list; in some places that could still be enough to swing it though.

Yes , Southside was mentioned as potentially strong for the Greens when I was talking with folk that know a lot more about it than me.

21 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Interesting last paragraph. I think the Greens will benefit here. 

Screenshot_20210508-131923.png

I was overlooking the opening of the list votes yesterday and there were a few random votes cast. Coincidentally the box for my own polling station was opened at my table and I spotted 2 votes to abolish the Scottish Parliament. So I will be out today with my gun to track down the perpetrators 😡 Might husband might be one of them just to get me off this board. 

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Perthshire South and Kinross SNP Hold was a Tory target seat.

With a slightly increased majority too. 👍

Very pleasing result, I was a bit worried about that seat.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Perthshire South and Kinross SNP Hold was a Tory target seat.

I see Jim Fairlie's son won it. Interesting given his dad's fallout and resignation from the party. 

3 hours ago, aaid said:

There's racists everywhere, some of the worst racist abuse I'd heard at football was directed towards Paul Ince and Sol Campbell and was at Hampden at the play-off game in 1999.   I've personally not been made to feel unwelcome anywhere in England but then I don't tend to act like a dick - not saying you are, BTW.

As I said before, there's a lot of stuff going in in that national psyche, I don't think its fair to fundamentally describe it as based in racism though.

sadly the worst racism I've personally witnessed was by Scots rugby fans directed at the Underwoods. My experience is that England is far less racist than it when I was growing up but there's a nasty seam of right wing extremism the has never gone away, sometimes it wraps itself in Union flag other times the flag of St George. Then there 's a more respectable Anglo-Saxon exceptionalism which sees the UK as better than everyone else, they tend to wrap themselves in a UnionFlag but really they believe the Celts need England to help them out as they're not up to the job.  

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I see Jim Fairlie's son won it. Interesting given his dad's fallout and resignation from the party. 

Won a seat at his first attempt. A wee bit better than his dad's record. I'm sure JF senior will be pleased for him though.

1 minute ago, Freeedom said:

Jim Fairlie senior is my Grandad and wee Jim is my uncle

I thought as much! You used a phrase recently i recalled from when Jim was posting on the Tamb - "creating nationalists". I've always remembered it as i like the imagery :lol:

Welcome back :ok: