Holyrood Elections 2021 - Page 60 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Holyrood Elections 2021

3 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

That's quite a stretch. There's no way Alba voters either voted Green previously, or would consider it now. None IMO. To them, the Greens are the uber-woke enemies, even worse than the SNP.

Most Alba voters presumably were, or currently still are, also SNP supporters/voters. Why wouldn't they consider voting Green, where Green have more chance of getting an elected MSP, if indy is their priority?  

Absolutely fine if people dislike Green on non indy policies, and put those issues ahead of indy, but if your real priority is indy not party, it seems most obvious to vote Green if they have a better chance of getting a seat. If your priority is Scotland ahead of party, why invent a new party?

Edited by exile

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sorry but I do not buy that. People saw the names on the ballot pspers and if Salmond was such a loved demi-god as he is held up by some that would have carried him home alone. And he was canvassing so should have drilled home to the people unless you are admitting his message never got across or he did not appeal to them.

The message certainly did not get across,, 

8 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

For the same reason that the snp exists,, the reason that folk like yourself seem to be forgetting 

I'd rather vote for the greens who had a better chance of list seats for that reason.

Alba exist to feed one mans ego. Nothing else.

Just now, exile said:

Most Alba voters presumably were, or currently still are, also SNP supporters/voters. Why wouldn't they consider voting Green, where Green have more chance of getting an elected MSP, if indy is their priority?  

Fine if people dislike Green on non indy policies, but if your real priority is indy not party, it seems most obvious to vote Green if they have a better chance of getting a seat. If your priority is Scotland ahead of party, why invent a new party?

Because they're too woke. Haven't you heard? They want to make pedophilia legal, and turn your children into gender-queer-pansexuals, apparently.

5 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

The message certainly did not get across,, 

Ditto. Salmond is a busted flush and that showed up in this election to confirm what polls had already told us. Heck everytone on here was accepting he'd get a list seat in his neck of the woods but he failed miserably.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd rather vote for the greens who had a better chance of list seats for that reason.

Alba exist to feed one mans ego. Nothing else.

Lol tell me something if it was to feed his ego, why would he not just rejoin the snp? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about, in two years time we will revisit this conversation.. 

Edited by hampden_loon2878

Ditto. Salmond is a busted flush and that showed up in this election to confirm what polls had already told us. Heck everytone on here was accepting he'd get a list seat in his neck of the woods but he failed miserably.

Lets give this 2 years,, lets see where this takes us,, 4 weeks to get the message across is a massive ask, heck, 75% of the folk on here dont know how the list system works 

Edited by hampden_loon2878

Don't get me wrong - I like Alex Salmond and all he did for independence.
Was delighted when he was cleared in a court of law.

However : setting up his own party was always more about him than independence.
Times move on...  No point trying to pretend it is still 2014 (we sadly lost that anyway!).

Just now, hampden_loon2878 said:

Lets give this 2 years,, lets see where this takes us 

You need to wake up and smell the coffee as does Eck. His career as a serving politician is done. Multiple polss have told us this, history has told us this snd now the electorate has told us it. What more evidence do you need?

So the final result

SNP ~ 64 (+1)

Conservative ~ 31 (nc)

Labour ~ 22 (-2)

Green ~ 8 (+2)

Lib Dem ~ 4 (-1)

So the pro-indy parties went up, unionists went down. 

SNP increase is small but Greens only do one better.

(How can that many people vote Tory? 😬 )

Labour going backwards (as in every Holyrood election?)

LibDems did very poorly and have lost some parliamentary cash & privileges?

Alba, an experiment we can learn from.

Let's not forget the Reform MSP booted out, Galloway tanked, 'fascists' trounced.

Edited by exile

1 minute ago, Haggis_trap said:

Times move on...  No point trying to pretend it is still 2014 (we sadly lost that anyway!).

Alex Salmond has always been about Alex Salmond, it was true in 1979, 2014 and 2021 but to say the setting up of Alba was not about independence is just silly. I can say this is as someone who doesn't and never has liked him.

4 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

That is how i see it. I am more bothered by his fanatical followers who cannot accept that too much has happened now to resurrect a meaningful career in politics.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You need to wake up and smell the coffee as does Eck. His career as a serving politician is done. Multiple polss have told us this, history has told us this snd now the electorate has told us it. What more evidence do you need?

Ok thats how you see it,, if there is no sign of a independence referendum in four years time, alba will gain more seats than the lib dems and greens combined,, if the sno dint push on with a referendum,, they will be toast

7 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Lets give this 2 years,, lets see where this takes us,, 4 weeks to get the message across is a massive ask, heck, 75% of the folk on here dont know how the list system works 

I like Salmond a hell of a lot, but he has to go, because the public dont. 

Alba is full of toxic lunatics, now I know that you think the SNP are the same, and some are, but it’s a tiny minority compared to a possible majority of Alba. 

It’s ridiculous what has happened to him, and we should be grateful to have had him, but it’s over. 

1 minute ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Ok thats how you see it,, if there is no sign of a independence referendum in four years time, alba will gain more seats than the lib dems and greens combined,, if the sno dint push on with a referendum,, they will be toast

Yes I will agree there but I cannot see that being the case given NS clear words today.

That is how i see it. I am more bothered by his fanatical followers who cannot accept that too much has happened now to resurrect a meaningful career in politics.

Alec was away to step away from the public view however he was approached to set up the alba party. He never went after this, the party would have never got the donations required to start up without him, so give it a rest that its all about him

1 minute ago, kumnio said:

I like Salmond a hell of a lot, but he has to go, because the public dont. 

Alba is full of toxic lunatics, now I know that you think the SNP are the same, and some are, but it’s a tiny minority compared to a possible majority of Alba. 

It’s ridiculous what has happened to him, and we should be grateful to have had him, but it’s over. 

The lunatics will be gone shortly, pitty they weren't chased out the snp eh? 

1 minute ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

The lunatics will be gone shortly, pitty they weren't chased out the snp eh? 

I’m disillusioned with the SNP at times, but Alba isn’t the alternative. I’m not happy with Sturgeons pace, but it’s better than going backwards, and that’s all that is available to us. 

Let’s fantasise, if Alba won 10 seats, what could they actually do, pretty much nothing. 

11 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Can’t see how that is nothing more then a resounding success for Sturgeon and a pro referendum vote. Well done to Nicola Sturgeon. She’s carried the party and herself through some tough challenges lately. 

100%

Now we need to focus on delivering the policies she's set out and not be drawn into constitutional wrangling with Westminster. That comes later. 

For the record you all know i hold alec and his achievements in high regard , however this is not blind faith that i am championing alba, it is for the security of the independence vote,, putting all your eggs in one basket is very dangerous and lets be honest the snp have took independence supporters votes for granted. Dont write alex off most of you should know this, whether he stands again? I dont think so,, whens the council elections 😂 

4 minutes ago, kumnio said:

I’m disillusioned with the SNP at times, but Alba isn’t the alternative. I’m not happy with Sturgeons pace, but it’s better than going backwards, and that’s all that is available to us. 

Let’s fantasise, if Alba won 10 seats, what could they actually do, pretty much nothing. 

More than what ten unionist msps could do

31 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

Right I've asked this before and no idea if I'm on the wrong lines.

The SNP won 64 seats 1 short of a majority.

In 2011 the SNP won 6 out of 8 constituencies. In the list they won 47.5% of the vote and got 3 list seats.

In 2016 the SNP won 6 out of 8 constituencies. In the list they won 39.7% of the vote and got 1 list seat.

in 2021 the SNP won 6 out of 8 constituencies. In the list they won 40.4% of the vote and got 1 list seats.

What more of a % would have taken a 2nd seat in 2021? It can't have been that much

Assume you are talking H&I ...

I can’t find the numbers breakdown yet. There would be some number crunching required but someone on Twitter said this... but can’t translate to %ages until you can see full figures.