Coronavirus - Page 40 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

7 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Worth pointing out that all the medics still estimate the death rate to be 1% or less. This is because loads of cases are going unreported. We'll see how accurate they are in the fullness of time i suppose.

Aye, trying to work out the fatality rate based on current deaths and current confirmed cases is a pretty meaningless exercise. 

The actual fatality rate will be very much dependent on how well health care systems can cope with the severely and critically ill. Might be best to get in early before all the beds are filled up.;)

7 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Worth pointing out that all the medics still estimate the death rate to be 1% or less. This is because loads of cases are going unreported. We'll see how accurate they are in the fullness of time i suppose.

thats not taking into account the ICU's operating way over capacity though. it's like 0.8 to 1% if you can get a bed a ventillator and a full medical care. That's not going to be the case in reality for a lot of cases when this "surge" hits.

Not having a go at any individual. I don't understand the obsession of people posting the doom and gloom of death rates, percentages of people who don't survive this etc. On a personal level I have an underlying health condition (CHD), i'm shitting myself (not literally), and the last thing I need on the TAMB is stats. on my chance of survival if I get this virus. I get the sharing of information can be a good thing. This is only my opinion.

17 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Not having a go at any individual. I don't understand the obsession of people posting the doom and gloom of death rates, percentages of people who don't survive this etc. On a personal level I have an underlying health condition (CHD), i'm shitting myself (not literally), and the last thing I need on the TAMB is stats. on my chance of survival if I get this virus. I get the sharing of information can be a good thing. This is only my opinion.

The problem is that far too many folk are ignoring the stats (governments are the main culprits) and are just thinking "ach it'll be awright". It won't be alright for many thousands of people. We have a chance to do something about it, if we would only try to learn from what is already happening in other countries.

Ignore the numbers if you want, that's up to you. 

56 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Sorry not trying to cause fear just putting out what i think is good information. My mum and gran are both high risk as is 3 of my aunts and uncles.

If it's causing you distress then perhaps best avoiding the information by putting folk on ignore or avoiding the thread about the subject that is causing you distress.

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

The problem is that far too many folk are ignoring the stats (governments are the main culprits) and are just thinking "ach it'll be awright". It won't be alright for many thousands of people. We have a chance to do something about it, if we would only try to learn from what is already happening in other countries.

Ignore the numbers if you want, that's up to you. 

Problem is folk are not doing enough. It's simple, stay home and stop putting yourself and others at risk. It's no easy to do I get it, but its the only way to stop it from spreading. If my wife goes anywhere, which is only if she has to, she wears a mask and latex gloves which I got her. No shame in it, has to be done. Just my opinion... Stay safe folks..

On 3/20/2020 at 7:06 AM, Ally Bongo said:

I just noticed the "Truth" about Coronavirus thread has been removed ...... 

And I was 'self-isolating' too. 

(Folk came to my thread. I was staying out of theirs.)

My last post (from memory) was...

I was off last week and stayed in the entire time.

I never went to the shops once (even when folk were panic buying).

When I went back to work on Monday, I was the only person wearing a respirator (which provides a seal around my mouth and nose).

Some made fun of me, but water off a duck's back.

As the week wore on and the news became increasingly worse, people were asking about my mask and where they might get one too.

I also wear latex gloves, use sanitizer, and practice social distancing.

Last Wednesday night was a sleepless one for me mainly due to flight times and concern.

My girlfriend, and her son and daughter were hoping to board a flight back to Canada after cutting their holiday short.

They ended up landing in Calgary at 2:00am and I was waiting for them in front of their house (from inside my work vehicle) when they arrived back in Toronto that afternoon.

I kept my distance as they started their 14 day quarantine, having stocked their fridge earlier, but it was good to see them and talk with them in person.

Canada's (at the time) 10th death occurred in my town.

For the record... I've only taken this seriously, and have done so earlier than most.

I haven't offered any advice contrary to anything official.

Do I think that there's more to this than meets the eye? Definitely

'Texas Pete' posted after me, then the thread was gone.

(No problem.)

Also FTR, there's been no contact from admin or mods.

On 3/20/2020 at 7:46 AM, bonzo said:

Maybe it just fell off the edge of the world. 

I understand that that's the image that globers have in their head, but simply imagine how water is contained in a puddle (for example) and you'll have a better idea of how the model works.

22 hours ago, exile said:

Was there any announcement about who did it and why? Very odd, surely? 

Aren't threads usually locked or a moderator will tell us what happened? 

My thread would probably have been deemed as insensitive during a time of fear and uncertainty. (I get that.)

My personal belief is that the pursuit of truth outweighs people's feelings (but, I would have worded things differently if I had the chance to do it again).

I understand that people are consumed with the news, but there's a bigger picture here.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."

"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood."

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act."

"In general, the greater the understanding, the greater the delusion; the more intelligent, the less sane."

"To see what is in front of one’s nose needs a constant struggle."

George Orwell

Edited by Scotty CTA

24 minutes ago, Farcity said:

Im high risk/vulnerable yet work in the jail where they have taken absolutely zero steps towards combatting this virus, no restrictions on visits, nothing. Once it arrives in there there will be carnage. 

Iran is going to pardon 10,00 prisoners.

22 hours ago, phart said:

This doesn't end till we get a vaccine which is where the 18 month timeline comes from.

These measures are too late but it;s only to buy time so they cant get an effective treatment, everytime we relax the quarantine it will come roaring back.

UK now has a steeper death curve than Italy and we're 13 days behind where they are.

Was off the board for a bit.

Love your new(?) signature!

On 3/20/2020 at 6:14 AM, thplinth said:

Some of the most offensive lyrics ever written.

The only 'saving grace' is that it potentially exposes the futility of humanism.

We can't do it ourselves.

“Seek the LORD while He may be found; call upon Him while He is near;" Isaiah 55:6

8 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Some of the grocery shops here are installing plexiglass barriers between the cashiers (God Bless them) and the customers.

Whatever happens at least you know you’ll be ok as Jesus will save you 👍🏼

1 hour ago, Scotty CTA said:

And I was 'self-isolating' too. 

(Folk came to my thread. I was staying out of theirs.)

My last post (from memory) was...

I was off last week and stayed in the entire time.

I never went to the shops once (even when folk were panic buying).

When I went back to work on Monday, I was the only person wearing a respirator (which provides a seal around my mouth and nose).

Some made fun of me, but water off a duck's back.

As the week wore on and the news became increasingly worse, people were asking about my mask and where they might get one too.

I also wear latex gloves, use sanitizer, and practice social distancing.

Last Wednesday night was a sleepless one for me mainly due to flight times and concern.

My girlfriend, and her son and daughter were hoping to board a flight back to Canada after cutting their holiday short.

They ended up landing in Calgary at 2:00am and I was waiting for them in front of their house (from inside my work vehicle) when they arrived back in Toronto that afternoon.

I kept my distance as they started their 14 day quarantine, having stocked their fridge earlier, but it was good to see them and talk with them in person.

Canada's (at the time) 10th death occurred in my town.

For the record... I've only taken this seriously, and have done so earlier than most.

I haven't offered any advice contrary to anything official.

Do I think that there's more to this than meets the eye? Definitely

'Texas Pete' posted after me, then the thread was gone.

(No problem.)

Also FTR, there's been no contact from admin or mods.

The removal of your ridiculous thread had nothing to do with me if you are suggesting I reported it. I’ve never reported anyone for anything on here. If you want to spout pish on the anything goes section that’s up to you. Just don’t be surprised when people laugh at you or call you on your nonsense. 

I (and I’m sure others) would appreciate it if you didn’t hijack this thread with your bullshit though. Maybe try creating a new thread? Or better still, go to a conspiracy theory website where you can discuss your ideas with likeminded people instead of trying to make others believe your shite? Just an idea. 

15 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The removal of your ridiculous thread had nothing to do with me if you are suggesting I reported it.

I'm not.

If you want to spout pish on the anything goes section that’s up to you.

Well, obviously that's provably not true.

Just don’t be surprised when people laugh at you or call you on your nonsense. 

You're fairly new here, aren't you?

I (and I’m sure others) would appreciate it if you didn’t hijack this thread with your bullshit though. 

Well, I tried keeping to myself, but that still didn't stop YOU from sticking your nose in when you really should just have had me on ignore.

Maybe try creating a new thread?  

...um... That's your advice? :lol:

Or better still, go to a conspiracy theory website where you can discuss your ideas with likeminded people instead of trying to make others believe your shite?  

Not trying to make anyone believe anything.

Just an idea. 

Not gonna happen. 

(Stay safe. 👍 )

Edited by Scotty CTA

6 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

I'm not.

Well, obviously that's provably not true.

You're fairly new here, aren't you?

Well, I tried keeping to myself, but that still didn't stop YOU from sticking your nose in when you really should just have had me on ignore.

...um... That's your advice? :lol:

Not trying to make anyone believe anything.

Not gonna happen. 

(Stay safe. 👍 )

Why mention me in your comment then?

I wouldn’t say I was particularly new on here. I’ve probably been on here longer than you. 

I wasn’t sticking my nose in. I was commenting on a public forum. 

Why do you continue to tell us your ridiculous ideas if you aren’t trying to make us believe them? 

Do what you like mate. I’m not your dad. 

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Why mention me in your comment then?

I was stating a fact.

i was relaying the history of the thread.

(I never saw your post. I just got a notification that you had posted.)

9 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I wouldn’t say I was particularly new on here. I’ve probably been on here longer than you. 

I've been on 'here' since before the beginning of the TAMB... when the hardcores at the time communicated by group e-mail.

12 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I wasn’t sticking my nose in. I was commenting on a public forum. 

No problem, but why tell me to stick to my own thread and at the same time wade in to complain about its content?

You can't have it both ways.

13 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Why do you continue to tell us your ridiculous ideas if you aren’t trying to make us believe them? 

To offer the mulling over of something from outside the box.

Do what you like mate. I’m not your dad. 

You've requested that I don't hijack the thread, yet you're taking this thread off in another direction by interacting with me.

It makes for poor reading.

Please put me on ignore. 👍

5 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

I was stating a fact.

i was relaying the history of the thread.

(I never saw your post. I just got a notification that you had posted.)

I've been on 'here' since before the beginning of the TAMB... when the hardcores at the time communicated by group e-mail.

No problem, but why tell me to stick to my own thread and at the same time wade in to complain about its content?

You can't have it both ways.

To offer the mulling over of something from outside the box.

You've requested that I don't hijack the thread, yet you're taking this thread off in another direction by interacting with me.

It makes for poor reading.

Please put me on ignore. 👍

😂😂😂

3 hours ago, Farcity said:

Im high risk/vulnerable yet work in the jail where they have taken absolutely zero steps towards combatting this virus, no restrictions on visits, nothing. Once it arrives in there there will be carnage. 

That's not only crazy but seriously negligent !