Coronavirus - Page 258 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

Of course the army help is welcome. But I heard there were only 130 army people involved. I was trying to think that must be a drop in the ocean in terms of practical help. That's about a 1000th of the Scottish NHS staff.  But of course, those photo-shoots could give the answer. Just get them photographed coming to the rescue and they serve a propaganda purpose.

Edited by exile

Just saw some stats from Scots Govt: "A record 52,839 vaccinations in yesterday 839,226 have now had first dose, inc 99.5% of older care home residents, 90% of staff in older adult care homes, 94%+ of over 80s living in community, 64% of those aged 75-79 and 26% of 70-74 yr olds. On track to hit all targets."

12 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

They have started 65 to 70s in some places.

Aye, like I said earlier, my mate is 65 got his on Thursday, lives in Irvine. Also my sister in law got hers on Friday, she's in her late 50s but shielding. 

Edited by bonzo

Getting over the 50k in one day is big!

They mentioned a while back they hoped to get to 400k a week capacity by end-Feb I think,  so >50k is edging towards that. 

800k+ already done. 
400k p/w over next 6 weeks would see 2.4m (+800k already done) = 3.2m by end of March. Then you start eating into your capacity a bit by gradually having to deal with 2nd doses in increasing numbers over a 6 week ramp in following the weeks. 

Can’t imagine it will run quite to that plan but we’re definitely making progress now. 

Edited by AlfieMoon

14 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Getting over the 50k in one day is big!

They mentioned a while back they hoped to get to 400k a week capacity by end-Feb I think,  so >50k is edging towards that. 

800k+ already done. 
400k p/w over next 6 weeks would see 2.4m (+800k already done) = 3.2m by end of March. Then you start eating into your capacity a bit by gradually having to deal with 2nd doses in increasing numbers over a 6 week ramp in following the weeks. 

Can’t imagine it will run quite to that plan but we’re definitely making progress now. 

Didn't you hear? The progress is down to the UK army and London based government. No way the jocks could make good progress on something as complex as this, we are all too stupid 🤣

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Didn't you hear? The progress is down to the UK army and London based government. No way the jocks could make good progress on something as complex as this, we are all too stupid 🤣

Not since high command cocked it up by having 600 horses charge full frontal at a Russian position bristling with cannon into the valley of death has so much been demanded of so few and been celebrated in such nationalistic fervour.   

Forward, the Light Brigade!”            

Was there a man dismayed?

Not though the soldier knew

Someone had blundered.

Theirs not to make reply,

Theirs not to reason why,

Theirs but to jag apply.

Into the country of Death

Rode the one hundred.

I   Covid to right of them,

Covid to left of them,

Cavid in front of them

Coughing and spluttered. 

Into the jaws of death

Into the mouth of hell

Rode the one hundred

But expecting a hundred soldiers to apply 6 million jabs twice was just too much!  Unfortunately the soldier covering the entirety of Angus snapped when he realised he had to get through everyone aged between 70-80 by the end of the week and still had 49 activities to get through with his kid on Seesaw when he returned home too including a double Joe Wickes session.

Consequently, and understandably, the stress caused the poor fellow to flee the sports hall he was manning single handed and seek cover in a nearby tree.  It was at this point yesterday morning I became aware of the poor fellow sniping needles of vaccine from his vantage point as locals innocently went about trying to buy their milk and papers.   

Trish, from 4 doors down on my street, was staging a valiant counter attack from behind the open door of her Toyota Prius.  Although she had a surprisingly good arm for a lass in her 60’s the wind was affecting the accuracy on the volley of Polo Mints see was launching in repost and unfortunately collateral damage was suffered when Mrs Maitland’s cat possibly lost an eye in the ensuing melee.  Checking Twitter to see if this had hit the news yet the Dundee Courier were already Tweeting ‘Vicious Nats look to thwart brave army vaccine effort in flagrant attempt to undermine the union’.    

Crouching behind a hedge, my bacon butty at home risking getting soggily cold and Trish’s husband remaining sat in the car listening to Steve Wright’s Sunday Love Songs as ambivalent to what was happening as he is when his empty food bin blows around the street on average 4 days a week meant we were on our own and in need of a hero. 

Luckily for us we heard the unmistakable sound of the General Lee horn coming over the horizon but instead of being the Duke Brothers it was instead Diabetes Dave riding in heroically on his mobility scooter.  Trish and I took cover behind his substantial build and managed to get into the local Spar uninjured.  Unfortunately Dave took numerous vaccines to the face and chest meaning, although he was now likely immune as fuck, the side effects were also greatly increased.  Shaking his fist at his attacker he shouted ‘Podonok!’ and it was at this point realised it must be Sputnik he was indiscriminately firing out. 

Admittedly xenophobic, and based on lazy Russian stereotype, nobody could really tell if it was an insult, greeting or the opening gambit in a flirtatious exchange.  Unperturbed Dave started speaking into his phone and Siri’s voice came blaring over the police riot van sound system he’d had fitted during his appearance on one of the latter episodes of ‘Pimp my Ride’.  Although Siri struggled with the sheer volume of translating Russian expletive to English the gist seemed to be Dave hoping the sniper’s mum’s vagina became haunted by the ghost of Stalin and that she was open to the possibility of group relations with Ukrainians and farm animals of unspecified nationality. 

During the diversion I managed to make my get-away uninjured.  However, just as I was about to turn into my drive a strange noise was approaching steadily from behind and on turning around realised Trish hadn’t been so lucky.   Topless astride a magnificent Angus bull Trish rode past leaving a slight smell of potato vodka in her wake  ‘Comrade – History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce – how many fucking times have I told Barry take the food bin in!’

In conclusion, although the efforts of the one hundred are appreciated, we should ask the BBC to scale back the army involvement as they’re stretched too thinly and instead leave it to the thousands of front line works who seem to be playing an absolute blinder in the circumstances instead.   

With the suggestion that the Oxford vacination not working as well against the SA strain, do people think it would be wise or acceptable to redustribute the Oxford vacines to parts of the country where the SA strain is currently less prevelent?

Ie, there are known cases in south of England but very few in Scotland. Would people accept a higher % of Oxford vacines now coming to Scotland with the other vacines that we were going to get now being distributed to south of England?

On 2/6/2021 at 3:42 PM, Lamia said:

Only ramping up because we were saved by the UK Gov sending in the troops! 🤔

130 troops around Scotland is a tiny number of helpers.  I got my jag yesterday in Dumfries and there were 3 young lads in army fatigues, two just handing out a leaflet when you went in and one dealing with the vaccinated folk who had to wait 15 minutes after being vaccinated before leaving.  All the large number of vaccinators and others were NHS staff.  I suspect the presence of a few army folk was more to allow the WM unionists to score political points than any real need for extra staff.  No doubt that prick Alister Jack will be along soon to make some ludicrous statement about "the British Army saving an incompetent SNP government" or some such shite.

Got the Pfizer jag rather than the co-called "world-beating" AZ one.  Pleased about that as it's apparently more effective, and also relieved after hearing the news about the AZ vaccine's possible inefficacy against the SA strain.  Whole process ran like clockwork.

20 minutes ago, Alibi said:

130 troops around Scotland is a tiny number of helpers.  I got my jag yesterday in Dumfries and there were 3 young lads in army fatigues, two just handing out a leaflet when you went in and one dealing with the vaccinated folk who had to wait 15 minutes after being vaccinated before leaving.  All the large number of vaccinators and others were NHS staff.  I suspect the presence of a few army folk was more to allow the WM unionists to score political points than any real need for extra staff.  No doubt that prick Alister Jack will be along soon to make some ludicrous statement about "the British Army saving an incompetent SNP government" or some such shite.

Got the Pfizer jag rather than the co-called "world-beating" AZ one.  Pleased about that as it's apparently more effective, and also relieved after hearing the news about the AZ vaccine's possible inefficacy against the SA strain.  Whole process ran like clockwork.

I don’t want the AZ vaccine. I am not sure I really trust their trial data since they had that stuff about half doses being more effective and the fact they didn’t bother trialing it on the very people who really need protection. Sadly I will probably end up with it though. 

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

With the suggestion that the Oxford vacination not working as well against the SA strain, do people think it would be wise or acceptable to redustribute the Oxford vacines to parts of the country where the SA strain is currently less prevelent?

Ie, there are known cases in south of England but very few in Scotland. Would people accept a higher % of Oxford vacines now coming to Scotland with the other vacines that we were going to get now being distributed to south of England?

How long do you expect other ares to be able to keep it out?

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Do we know if the Pfizer one is any better with respect to the SA variant? I haven't seen anything yet.

Edited by Orraloon

I know I am the ultimate pessimist but I am a bit concerned that some areas Covid cases now seem to be increasing.

Argyll and Bute have kept numbers relatively low over the period of large increases elsewhere but is now ticking up. Falkirk and Clackmannanshire also seem to be on the rise! 

With the prospect of the phasing of return of schools this concerns me. Yes numbers are declining but not fast and we know how quickly they can start to rise!

Edited by Lamia

2 minutes ago, Lamia said:

:lol:

I know it's just a wee typo but it made me chuckle. I kept reading it as "arses" and couldn't help thinking "It's not like Lamia to use language like that". And "arses" fits in just as well as "areas". :lol:

4 minutes ago, Lamia said:

I know I am the ultimate pessimist but I am a bit concerned that some areas Covid cases now seem to be increasing.

Argyll and Bute have kept numbers relatively low over the period of large increases elsewhere but is now ticking up. Falkirk and Clackmannanshire also seem to be on the rise! 

With the prospect of the phasing of return of schools this concerns me. Yes numbers are declining but not fast and we know how quickly they can start to rise!

I agree. I think the number of cases is still far too high and the rate of decrease is slowing down. Which is what you would expect, but I think it's too soon to be opening up again. We need to get the quarantine for travel sorted out first, before we do anything, IMO.

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

:lol:

I know it's just a wee typo but it made me chuckle. I kept reading it as "arses" and couldn't help thinking "It's not like Lamia to use language like that". And "arses" fits in just as well as "areas". :lol:

😳😆

I am terrible for not proof reading!

26 minutes ago, Lamia said:

Im not sure. Its really depends on how far its spread already and unfortunetly due to the total failure of track and trace its all guesswork.

I dont know how id feel about it. Theres a part of me that would rrally resent it due to the perception that large parts of the south totally ignoring lockdown so why should they get a more effective vacine.

Im just wondering how it would play out politically. If Scot Gov refused despite stats showing very few SA cases jn Scotland, im sure the UK media would spin it in the worst possible way. Likewise if they agreed it would be spun up here that scot gov were putting Scottish lifes at risk.

Medically i can see a case being made though. Target the vacines at areas where they will be most effective.

4 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I have a feeling that the media hype might be jumping the gun a wee bit on these trial results from South Africa.

9 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Not since high command cocked it up by having 600 horses charge full frontal at a Russian position bristling with cannon into the valley of death has so much been demanded of so few and been celebrated in such nationalistic fervour.   

Forward, the Light Brigade!”            

Was there a man dismayed?

Not though the soldier knew

Someone had blundered.

Theirs not to make reply,

Theirs not to reason why,

Theirs but to jag apply.

Into the country of Death

Rode the one hundred.

I   Covid to right of them,

Covid to left of them,

Cavid in front of them

Coughing and spluttered. 

Into the jaws of death

Into the mouth of hell

Rode the one hundred

But expecting a hundred soldiers to apply 6 million jabs twice was just too much!  Unfortunately the soldier covering the entirety of Angus snapped when he realised he had to get through everyone aged between 70-80 by the end of the week and still had 49 activities to get through with his kid on Seesaw when he returned home too including a double Joe Wickes session.

Consequently, and understandably, the stress caused the poor fellow to flee the sports hall he was manning single handed and seek cover in a nearby tree.  It was at this point yesterday morning I became aware of the poor fellow sniping needles of vaccine from his vantage point as locals innocently went about trying to buy their milk and papers.   

Trish, from 4 doors down on my street, was staging a valiant counter attack from behind the open door of her Toyota Prius.  Although she had a surprisingly good arm for a lass in her 60’s the wind was affecting the accuracy on the volley of Polo Mints see was launching in repost and unfortunately collateral damage was suffered when Mrs Maitland’s cat possibly lost an eye in the ensuing melee.  Checking Twitter to see if this had hit the news yet the Dundee Courier were already Tweeting ‘Vicious Nats look to thwart brave army vaccine effort in flagrant attempt to undermine the union’.    

Crouching behind a hedge, my bacon butty at home risking getting soggily cold and Trish’s husband remaining sat in the car listening to Steve Wright’s Sunday Love Songs as ambivalent to what was happening as he is when his empty food bin blows around the street on average 4 days a week meant we were on our own and in need of a hero. 

Luckily for us we heard the unmistakable sound of the General Lee horn coming over the horizon but instead of being the Duke Brothers it was instead Diabetes Dave riding in heroically on his mobility scooter.  Trish and I took cover behind his substantial build and managed to get into the local Spar uninjured.  Unfortunately Dave took numerous vaccines to the face and chest meaning, although he was now likely immune as fuck, the side effects were also greatly increased.  Shaking his fist at his attacker he shouted ‘Podonok!’ and it was at this point realised it must be Sputnik he was indiscriminately firing out. 

Admittedly xenophobic, and based on lazy Russian stereotype, nobody could really tell if it was an insult, greeting or the opening gambit in a flirtatious exchange.  Unperturbed Dave started speaking into his phone and Siri’s voice came blaring over the police riot van sound system he’d had fitted during his appearance on one of the latter episodes of ‘Pimp my Ride’.  Although Siri struggled with the sheer volume of translating Russian expletive to English the gist seemed to be Dave hoping the sniper’s mum’s vagina became haunted by the ghost of Stalin and that she was open to the possibility of group relations with Ukrainians and farm animals of unspecified nationality. 

During the diversion I managed to make my get-away uninjured.  However, just as I was about to turn into my drive a strange noise was approaching steadily from behind and on turning around realised Trish hadn’t been so lucky.   Topless astride a magnificent Angus bull Trish rode past leaving a slight smell of potato vodka in her wake  ‘Comrade – History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce – how many fucking times have I told Barry take the food bin in!’

In conclusion, although the efforts of the one hundred are appreciated, we should ask the BBC to scale back the army involvement as they’re stretched too thinly and instead leave it to the thousands of front line works who seem to be playing an absolute blinder in the circumstances instead.   

😂😂 what goes on in that brain of yours. 

With the WHO investigation concluding that covid didnt escape from a lab and the commonly held acceptance that it originated in a wet market. Why is more not being done to clean up and regulate these markets.

Id like to think that world leaders would have it pretty high up their list of priorities to lessen the chances of something like this ever happening again but ive not heard amybody even mention it.

Theres been a good few programmes about how the markets have just continued as normal.

3 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

With the WHO investigation concluding that covid didnt escape from a lab and the commonly held acceptance that it originated in a wet market. Why is more not being done to clean up and regulate these markets.

Id like to think that world leaders would have it pretty high up their list of priorities to lessen the chances of something like this ever happening again but ive not heard amybody even mention it.

Theres been a good few programmes about how the markets have just continued as normal.

No idea, same could be said for our economies and the harm they do or our foreign policy etc.

the whole thing is baffling, it's been predicted to happen for ages as well. The exact scenario, the same way letting the virus run rampant would cause more variants.