Coronavirus - Page 105 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

1 hour ago, phart said:

The US moving it to China is a brilliant move, if true, cause it's the ultimate plausibile deniability since it was one of the projected epicentres for something like this to happen naturally anyway.

Hmm... just an aside really but that lab in Fort Detrick that they closed down recently (see NYT article above) was the same lab the 911 anthrax was stolen from. 

This is the Indian research paper on the virus that he says they were forced to retract. Make of it what you will...

https://web.archive.org/web/20200204204902/https:/www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.30.927871v1.full

Conclusions

Our analysis of the spike glycoprotein of 2019-nCoV revealed several interesting findings: First, we identified 4 unique inserts in the 2019-nCoV spike glycoprotein that are not present in any other coronavirus reported till date. To our surprise, all the 4 inserts in the 2019-nCoV mapped to short segments of amino acids in the HIV-1 gp120 and Gag among all annotated virus proteins in the NCBI database. This uncanny similarity of novel inserts in the 2019-nCoV spike protein to HIV-1 gp120 and Gag is unlikely to be fortuitous. Further, 3D modelling suggests that at least 3 of the unique inserts which are non-contiguous in the primary protein sequence of the 2019-nCoV spike glycoprotein converge to constitute the key components of the receptor binding site. Of note, all the 4 inserts have pI values of around 10 that may facilitate virus-host interactions. Taken together, our findings suggest unconventional evolution of 2019-nCoV that warrants further investigation. Our work highlights novel evolutionary aspects of the 2019-nCoV and has implications on the pathogenesis and diagnosis of this virus.

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

Hmm... just an aside really but that lab in Fort Detrick that they closed down recently (see NYT article above) was the same lab the 911 anthrax was stolen from. 

"stolen" ;) I was going to make the same point in my post but started typing out all the scenarios and it got too long as an aside and just binned it.

Best case scenario was it was stolen so they had a breach and then they accused the wrong guy etc, suicide and all that, plus Israeli security forces had originally claimed it had been given to Atta by Iraq in Prague. Worst case was used, plus some top law prof at ivy league school was raging cause they then destroyed all of it. Really short version.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

I'm almost certain the idea that the virus is man made was debunked weeks ago

edit

It was - whether you want to believe it is another matter

https://www.labmate-online.com/news/laboratory-products/3/breaking-news/is-covid-19-man-made-or-natural/51980

https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-what-scientists-think-of-the-coronavirus-was-made-in-a-lab-rumour

It's scientists arguing with each other rather than anything being debunked. Well i don't have the expetise to make decisions on whether it has been modified. Normally I would say it wasn't true but when a 2008 nobel prize winner in the exact discipline of science this pertains to says something it needs to be looked at.

3 minutes ago, phart said:

It's scientists arguing with each other rather than anything being debunked. Well i don't have the expetise to make decisions on whether it has been modified. Normally I would say it wasn't true but when a 2008 nobel prize winner in the exact discipline of science this pertains to says something it needs to be looked at.

His comments at the end of that interview were interesting. He said they were forced to withdraw their research paper but because he personally had 'aged-out' already and also won a Nobel Prize he had the freedom / power to say this publicly.

There would be a compelling reason for coming down hard on anyone saying it was lab modified (if it really was lab modified). China will have already compared it to their stocks in the Wuhan labs, so they will know if it came out of there. If it really did not come out of their labs and qualified people were saying it is obviously lab modified then they would know it was deliberately brought in somehow. That's why it would have to be 'naturally evolved' otherwise it would be revealed as an obvious attack.

If saying 'it is lab modified' becomes a career ending move in the west we will know there is something to it... ;) 

5 minutes ago, thplinth said:

His comments at the end of that interview were interesting. He said they were forced to withdraw their research paper but because he personally had 'aged-out' already and also won a Nobel Prize he had the freedom / power to say this publicly.

There would be a compelling reason for coming down hard on anyone saying it was lab modified (if it really was lab modified). China will have already compared it to their stocks in the Wuhan labs, so they will know if it came out of there. If it really did not come out of their labs and qualified people were saying it is obviously lab modified then they would know it was deliberately brought in somehow. That's why it would have to be 'naturally evolved' otherwise it would be revealed as an obvious attack.

If saying 'it is lab modified' becomes a career ending move in the west we will know there is something to it... ;) 

Here's a nice commentary on it and this guy even encourages you to check the sequences yourself. 

https://www.europeanscientist.com/en/big-data/no-sars-cov-2-does-not-contain-hiv-genetic-code/

10 minutes ago, beardy said:

Here's a nice commentary on it and this guy even encourages you to check the sequences yourself. 

https://www.europeanscientist.com/en/big-data/no-sars-cov-2-does-not-contain-hiv-genetic-code/

Well glad someone with expertise could make the case against it. As i said i'm not qualified to make the judgement. However after reading that it seems pretty secure it isn't as stated in the interview. However i'd like the noel laurerate to explain more fully what he means.

Edited by phart

22 minutes ago, phart said:

Well glad someone with expertise could make the case against it. As i said i'm not qualified to make the judgement. However after reading that it seems pretty secure it isn't as stated in the interview. However i'd like the noel laurerate to explain more fully what he means.

PHILIPPE LACOUDE
Philippe Lacoude, Ph.D., is a consultant in Washington, DC. He holds advanced degrees in applied mathematics, statistics and economics from the University of Paris Dauphine. He specializes in the implementation of economic and financial models. He is the author of “Le déficit budgétaire français”, “Action ou taxation: Le défi fiscal français”, and “What Social Security Will Pay: Rates of Return by Congressional District”.

Meh.

edit: The guy I quoted at the start is more qualified to talk on viruses than this geezer! lol

edit: I have to say he was pretty accurate looking back.

Edited by thplinth

5 minutes ago, thplinth said:

PHILIPPE LACOUDE
Philippe Lacoude, Ph.D., is a consultant in Washington, DC. He holds advanced degrees in applied mathematics, statistics and economics from the University of Paris Dauphine. He specializes in the implementation of economic and financial models. He is the author of “Le déficit budgétaire français”, “Action ou taxation: Le défi fiscal français”, and “What Social Security Will Pay: Rates of Return by Congressional District”.

Meh.

edit: The guy I quoted at the start is more qualified to talk on viruses than this geezer! lol

edit: I have to say he was pretty accurate looking back.

Hah, I was coming on to say he was a numbers guy.

Here's science guys presenting the same stuff.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7033698/

19 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Read that Indian paper above. This is not my field but they are very detailed in their findings. 

This is not my field either but is interesting. 

These guys pre-published on a Friday, and the next day said they are withdrawing it. All of this happened before any news or media outlet had carried the story.

From my reading they only looked at short segments which are prone to false positive and also didn't check against other organisms (which also share the same sequences).

It's a danger of pre-publication without peer review. With SarsCov2 there has been a lot of pre-publication. The speed of the science is incredible, people are trying to get a jump on it. 

The volume of papers is overwhelming. However the level of open access is excellent. 

6 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Not sure where it came from? Maybe it's just a sweetener incase any criminal injuries claims come out of this? As another poster said it could be tied in with a death in service payment? 100% convinced most of the people who have sadly died (NHS and Care) workers won't see a penny and if they do their will be some sort of caveats attached which will make it difficult to receive a pay out.

Surely they need to make this retrospective , they would get slaughtered otherwise. They would need to pay to those who have already lost their lives. I do share your scepticism though. 

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

3 X average annual salary?

Could be , though £20k sounds a pretty convenient amount.

Hancock ‘ can someone give me a rough idea of the average wage of NHS workers? ’ 

Gofer : ‘Meh, maybe 2O grand‘ .

Hancock : ‘ Ok , lets sound generous and make it 60 grand. 

Next ! ‘

16 minutes ago, Denny’s Yard said:

Civil service death in service lump sum is twice salary.

https://www.civilservicepensionscheme.org.uk/members/death-benefit-nominations/

Average NHS salary is £26K.

https://www.payscale.com/research/UK/Employer=The_National_Health_Service_(NHS)/Salary

26x2= 52, then round it up to the nearest £10k.

I checked the NHS pension scheme and they still have a death in service payment built into the pension scheme. What isn't clear is if this 60K is on top of that, or is it just a guaranteed minimum? 

7 hours ago, thplinth said:

This is the Indian research paper on the virus that he says they were forced to retract. Make of it what you will...

https://web.archive.org/web/20200204204902/https:/www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.01.30.927871v1.full

Conclusions

Our analysis of the spike glycoprotein of 2019-nCoV revealed several interesting findings: First, we identified 4 unique inserts in the 2019-nCoV spike glycoprotein that are not present in any other coronavirus reported till date. To our surprise, all the 4 inserts in the 2019-nCoV mapped to short segments of amino acids in the HIV-1 gp120 and Gag among all annotated virus proteins in the NCBI database. This uncanny similarity of novel inserts in the 2019-nCoV spike protein to HIV-1 gp120 and Gag is unlikely to be fortuitous. Further, 3D modelling suggests that at least 3 of the unique inserts which are non-contiguous in the primary protein sequence of the 2019-nCoV spike glycoprotein converge to constitute the key components of the receptor binding site. Of note, all the 4 inserts have pI values of around 10 that may facilitate virus-host interactions. Taken together, our findings suggest unconventional evolution of 2019-nCoV that warrants further investigation. Our work highlights novel evolutionary aspects of the 2019-nCoV and has implications on the pathogenesis and diagnosis of this virus.

Make of this what I will 🤔,   your havin a laugh, after deep analysis of your findings I still know fuck all. If I've stumbled across the Lancet website I'm sorry for my ignorance,  otherwise get a grip, it's a cunt of a situ n we have to keep believing that the people who know what they're talking about will get on top of this very soon as in within the next year. 

1 hour ago, jcs said:

Make of this what I will 🤔,   your havin a laugh, after deep analysis of your findings I still know fuck all. If I've stumbled across the Lancet website I'm sorry for my ignorance,  otherwise get a grip, it's a cunt of a situ n we have to keep believing that the people who know what they're talking about will get on top of this very soon as in within the next year. 

No fucking idea what you are rambling about there. Your hands are probably so red raw and inflamed from the intense clapping it has effected your reasoning.

Seriously WTF are you on about? My posts above were about if the virus had been lab modified. No idea what your reply is about.

14 minutes ago, exile said:

A bit morbid but

Excess mortality maps and charts. Map has animated version...

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps/#map-of-z-scores

Scotland not looking too good there. Not surprising on this particular scale that the UK is the worst, worse than Italy! They were weeks ahead of us and now we are in pole position. If you can I would get the fuck out of Britain. It is a third world country in Europe. By the time the tories get done in the next cycle... it will be like living in detroit.

56 minutes ago, thplinth said:

No fucking idea what you are rambling about there. Your hands are probably so red raw and inflamed from the intense clapping it has effected your reasoning.

Seriously WTF are you on about? My posts above were about if the virus had been lab modified. No idea what your reply is about.

Scotland not looking too good there. Not surprising on this particular scale that the UK is the worst, worse than Italy! They were weeks ahead of us and now we are in pole position. If you can I would get the fuck out of Britain. It is a third world country in Europe. By the time the tories get done in the next cycle... it will be like living in detroit.

If you look at the dynamic series of the maps you can see the different countries flaring up at different times, a few frames before, several in W Europe are the very dark blue, and Scotland and Wales actually are ahead of England in coming out leaving England currently the only one still at the very dark. So hopefully a sign things have peaked and getting better.

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

The UK has been a joke. 

Without wanting to enter Alan territory, I was arguing politics about this.

A Unionist I knew was saying that Scotlands response has been very good, and he was impressed with Surgeon,I was arguing that we weren't good, but just looked decent compare to England, as they are so fucking bad. When Italy and Spain were touching 1000 deaths, the reporting was serious, the UK reporting of its own death was oh look, lets clap for nurses, and then Boris is looking good.

The reporting has been abysmal, and the awareness of this by the public is non existent. The UK is a joke. 

Edited by kumnio

6 minutes ago, kumnio said:

The UK has been a joke. 

Without wanting to enter Alan territory, I was arguing politics about this.

A Unionist I knew was saying that Scotlands response has been very good, and he was impressed with Surgeon,I was arguing that we weren't good, but just looked decent compare to England, as they are so fucking bad. When Italy and Spain were touching 1000 deaths, the reporting was serious, the UK reporting of its own death was oh look, lets clap for nurses, and then Boris is looking good.

The reporting has been abysmal, and the awareness of this by the public is non existent. The UK is a joke. 

They've done their best to keep the number of reported deaths below 1000 a day and hid behind whatever deflections they could, e.g. Captain Tom, a minute's silence... aided by a compliant and sycophantic press.  Seems like the public have fallen for it too when they should be advancing on parliament with the burning torches and pitchforks.

Don't get the Sturgeon worshipping here either.  She was happy to go along with this suicidal/genocidal herd immunity nonsense when anyone with a functioning brain cell could see the disaster that was careering towards us.

19 minutes ago, kumnio said:

When Italy and Spain were touching 1000 deaths, the reporting was serious, the UK reporting of its own death was oh look, lets clap for nurses, and then Boris is looking good.

Yep. I think it was even just last night, the BBC did a report from Italy, and they had this woman doing an interview with a mask on, talking about coming out of lockdown for her restaurant, and she was sombre about it, not celebrating anything at all, after all it's a morbid tragedy, and they talked in terms of Italy bearing its suffering.

But here it's all about battling Boris 'raring to go', bouncing back for Britain, in fact didn't they say Boris would be 'leading the nation' in its minute's silence, as if he's suddenly the king of compassion for the day.