Coronavirus - Page 102 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

"Coronavirus (COVID-19): framework for decision making" issued today:

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-framework-decision-making/

I see that James Kelly is interpreting this as a rejection of 'herd immunity',

"Our objective is to contain and suppress the virus in order to minimise the harm it can do."

"As and when we lift restrictions, we will need to put in place public health measures to stop cases becoming clusters, clusters becoming outbreaks, and outbreaks becoming an uncontrolled peak..."

Edited by exile

I also see that while some including George Osborne have welcomed the publication, the Matt Hancock apparently has "rejected claims that the UK government should follow its Scottish counterpart, and publish an outline guide to how it might exit the lockdown. Doing that would dilute the clarity of the government’s ‘stay at home’ message, he said." [Guardian politics live pages]

10 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Vice Chair of British Medical Association nae fucking about here!!  

The replies to his video sum up british society for me. 

The video will be ignored, nothing will happen to this government. They are as popular as ever

I would not be relying on that VA funded study. 

https://www.redstate.com/elizabeth-vaughn/2020/04/23/french-doctor-didier-raoult-cites-flaws-scientific-misconduct-in-recent-va-study-on-hydroxychloroquine/

I find astonishing that so many folk are seemingly trying to knock it down as a potential treatment for the main reason that Donald Trump touted it early on. I know they hate the man but I can't get my head around that. If it turns out it does help then these headlines etc are a disgrace.

I also watched the latest Trump remarks. It looks to me he was trying to relay something that had been briefed to him. Even during all of this they just keep going...

52 minutes ago, thplinth said:

https://www.redstate.com/elizabeth-vaughn/2020/04/23/french-doctor-didier-raoult-cites-flaws-scientific-misconduct-in-recent-va-study-on-hydroxychloroquine/

I find astonishing that so many folk are seemingly trying to knock it down as a potential treatment for the main reason that Donald Trump touted it early on. I know they hate the man but I can't get my head around that. If it turns out it does help then these headlines etc are a disgrace.

I also watched the latest Trump remarks. It looks to me he was trying to relay something that had been briefed to him. Even during all of this they just keep going...

He'll still likely win the next election.  

Seen he keeps endorsing the OAN News - even Fox think they're mental!  

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

I wouldn’t knock it back because Trump brought it up. I’m more persuaded by the thousands of doctors saying that what he’s suggesting is in fact an effective suicide technique. 

That's why I said more data required. 

It's clear that this wasn't a clinical trial. I'm fairly sure (although I could be wrong) that no clinical trials on this have been done yet? Some studies seem to indicate that chloroquine might be beneficial. This one found no evidence for that. I was just adding this study into the mix.

More research required. Probably funded by big pharma. ;)

17 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

He'll still likely win the next election.  

Seen he keeps endorsing the OAN News - even Fox think they're mental!  

I'll add to this here. 

I'd say it is a racing certainty that he will win at this point. 

I have noticed (and so has Trump) that Fox News are being more anti Trump. Weird things like hiring Donna Brazille...

Apparently The Drudge Report has now gone 'left' as well or anti trump.

But even without them on side if he does not make (more of) a complete cunt of this CV19 crisis he should still be very comfortably reelected.

How the democrats can select such a weak candidate (again) is mind blowing. It is like secretly they don't want to win or something. I reckon Tulsi Gabbard would have beat Trump but no way were they letting her anywhere near it.

Edited by thplinth

I didn't know Trump had been pushing chloroquine until today. I think it is still worthy of further investigation. As are many other drugs.

As for the bleach injections and the internal sun lamps, I just don't think he understood what had been said by the advisors. He didn't realise they were talking about killing the virus on surfaces and for some reason he thought they were talking about a treatment. 

I wouldn't have thought he would be that ignorant, but when you hear about folk poisoning themselves with fish tank cleaning tablets, it's an indicator of the level of ignorance that exists in people.

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That's why I said more data required. 

It's clear that this wasn't a clinical trial. I'm fairly sure (although I could be wrong) that no clinical trials on this have been done yet? Some studies seem to indicate that chloroquine might be beneficial. This one found no evidence for that. I was just adding this study into the mix.

More research required. Probably funded by big pharma. ;)

The Czechs and the Aussies I think are using it with another drug in combination as a treatment (and maybe in other countries) so there are evaluations in the pipe. I just looked and the Czechs are saying they will evaluate it in April (they allowed it to be used at the start of April so waiting a month it looks like to see how it goes). I really hope it is proven effective as it would take the effective sting out of the virus and as has been pointed out it is already approved so it could be rolled out quickly and we could all get back to normal (more) quickly. 

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I didn't know Trump had been pushing chloroquine until today. I think it is still worthy of further investigation. As are many other drugs.

As for the bleach injections and the internal sun lamps, I just don't think he understood what had been said by the advisors. He didn't realise they were talking about killing the virus on surfaces and for some reason he thought they were talking about a treatment. 

I wouldn't have thought he would be that ignorant, but when you hear about folk poisoning themselves with fish tank cleaning tablets, it's an indicator of the level of ignorance that exists in people.

Dont underestimate how ignorant he is, that was exactly my reading of it as well. He seems especially ignorant about the scientific side of things. The guys does not read books man.

I read about this drug before Trump mentioned it and only realized he had later on. Once I realized that a lot of the reporting on it made much more sense. I just hope it gets a fair evaluation and not buried prematurely as just another way to slag Donald feckin Trump.

No one who would fundementally change the status quo is going to be allowed in to change the status Quo, hency why sanders was passed up by the democrats.

Trump mentioned that treatment and some dumbfuck drank it in another form and killed themselves. He can hardly be blamed for that, just being woefully ill-informed narcissist is his main flaws.

I'll add to this here. 

I'd say it is a racing certainty that he will win at this point. 

I have noticed (and so has Trump) that Fox News are being more anti Trump. Weird things like hiring Donna Brazille...

Apparently The Drudge Report has now gone 'left' as well or anti trump.

But even without them on side if he does not make (more of) a complete cunt of this CV19 crisis he should still be very comfortably reelected.

How the democrats can select such a weak candidate (again) is mind blowing. It is like secretly they don't want to win or something. I reckon Tulsi Gabbard would have beat Trump but no way were they letting her anywhere near it.

Maybe leaving her until next time as it's too massive a jump from Trump at the moment?  The selection of almost a diet-Trump candidate is weak as fuck.  

Watch that John Oliver show on Sky Atlantic and its obviously heavily slanted against Trump but some of the stuff about the US in general is mind blowing.  

52 minutes ago, phart said:

FFS, 'Murica fvck yeah 

You know they could actually be really fvcked over by this. If they can't contain their population it could be devastating.

Trump is just wild, did you see the footage of Dr  Bird when he was talking about UV light and bleach.  Mental. 

This would help a lot of people’s mental state but  it would be very difficult to control and fairly easy to abuse ‘the rules’ . 
Does anyone know if the discussions include the elderly and/or high risk ? 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2020/04/25/people-see-10-friends-family-members-plans-ease-lockdown-12608249/amp/

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

This would help a lot of people’s mental state but  it would be very difficult to control and fairly easy to abuse ‘the rules’ . 
Does anyone know if the discussions include the elderly and/or high risk ? 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2020/04/25/people-see-10-friends-family-members-plans-ease-lockdown-12608249/amp/

Like a huge version of when you were picking a partner at social dancing in school.  Not sure this will do much for people’s mental state at all.