Coronavirus - Page 147 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

1832 & 1848 European revolutions were amid cholera epidemics, and despite what we heard, for many war did not end in 1918 (The Vanquished: Why the First World War Failed to End by Robert Gerwarth).   The 'Spanish' flu was rampant in 1818 and maybe claimed more victims than the war.

Of course, when our leaders are more interested in their hedge funds...

4 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

When this is over, I'll bet the 1922 Committee long knives will be out for Johnson. 

Every leader has his day.  Even Kings of Paisley!  Sturgeon has shown herself to be a good leader imo.  Far better than Johnson.  The tories will be ruing the day he was appointed.  Teresa May would have handled this thing better.  Maybe a woman thing Tyder!  But seriously I think she would have.  Or Daffy Duck.

20 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Every leader has his day.  Even Kings of Paisley!  Sturgeon has shown herself to be a good leader imo.  Far better than Johnson.  The tories will be ruing the day he was appointed.  Teresa May would have handled this thing better.  Maybe a woman thing Tyder!  But seriously I think she would have.  Or Daffy Duck.

I'm not sure she would've TBH.   I think she'd have been across the detail a lot more than Johnson was/is but she was shown up for being something of a ditherer herself so I'm not sure that she'd have taken earlier or stronger action.  Also her somewhat wooden persona and apparent lack of empathy would've made it difficult for her to engage with public and get the message across. 

33 minutes ago, aaid said:

I'm not sure she would've TBH.   I think she'd have been across the detail a lot more than Johnson was/is but she was shown up for being something of a ditherer herself so I'm not sure that she'd have taken earlier or stronger action.  Also her somewhat wooden persona and apparent lack of empathy would've made it difficult for her to engage with public and get the message across. 

Will you stop tripping me up!!!!  Aye agree with you there mate.  Maybe Michael Gove is the answer.

19 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Will you stop tripping me up!!!!  Aye agree with you there mate.  Maybe Michael Gove is the answer.

If the answer is Michael Gove then fuck knows what the question must be.  

Some interesting stuff from today's briefing.

They've completed the work on genomic sequencing and have identified over a hundred - I think 112 - different strains of the virus in cases in Scotland.   In effect, that means that 112 people brought the virus into Scotland and all the cases subsequently are from those initial infections, I don't think it means there are 112 materially different versions of the virus in circulation.   They also think that there may have been a small number of cases in February, which was before any previous notifications.  They also point to continental Europe as being the epicentre, ie. most of the infections in Scotland were brought in by people coming from there.

They also talked specifically about the Nike conference.   There were 8 notified and confirmed cases from that conference.  They've identified a further three cases that share similarities with the Nike cases but which also have closer similarities with other strains.   If I apply my rudimentary understanding of genetics from genealogy, I imagine that means that they weren't connected to the Nike conference directly but that they share the root infection with whoever was the case 0 for Nike.

It also shows that the steps taken to close down the Nike outbreak worked, rather than it being ground zero as some have claimed.

Outwith conspiracy theorists, I suspect that'll be the last we'll hear about Nike.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Some interesting stuff from today's briefing.

They've completed the work on genomic sequencing and have identified over a hundred - I think 112 - different strains of the virus in cases in Scotland.   In effect, that means that 112 people brought the virus into Scotland and all the cases subsequently are from those initial infections, I don't think it means there are 112 materially different versions of the virus in circulation.   They also think that there may have been a small number of cases in February, which was before any previous notifications.  They also point to continental Europe as being the epicentre, ie. most of the infections in Scotland were brought in by people coming from there.

They also talked specifically about the Nike conference.   There were 8 notified and confirmed cases from that conference.  They've identified a further three cases that share similarities with the Nike cases but which also have closer similarities with other strains.   If I apply my rudimentary understanding of genetics from genealogy, I imagine that means that they weren't connected to the Nike conference directly but that they share the root infection with whoever was the case 0 for Nike.

It also shows that the steps taken to close down the Nike outbreak worked, rather than it being ground zero as some have claimed.

Outwith conspiracy theorists, I suspect that'll be the last we'll hear about Nike.

Bold prediction that mate given the Scottish Tory / media previous! 

Ian Murray runs Jackson Carlaw close for Scotlands biggest cunt award.

Scottish Labour keep bringing up the 1979 vote of no confidence, I expect they will be speaking about Nike in 2061, unless we manage to finally kill their party off.

What the report actually says about Nike.

Our data suggest that SARS-CoV-2 was introduced to Scotland on multiple occasions, including at an international conference held in Edinburgh several days before the first Scottish case was confirmed. Whilst multiple local cases are linked to this event, the last case within the cluster in the UK occurred on the 27th March, suggesting that the local public health response to this event may have been effective and did not account for the majority of cases in Scotland. 

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.08.20124834v1.full.pdf

3 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

To give her the benefit of the doubt - and I think she's generally useless but I watched this live - Kay Burley jumped right in before she'd really had a chance to say anything.   A bit like someone replying "Yes, but..." and never getting the chance to go past that with the interviewer shouting "YOU SAID YES, YOU SAID YES, YOU SAID YES"

Just now, aaid said:

To give her the benefit of the doubt - and I think she's generally useless but I watched this live - Kay Burley jumped right in before she'd really had a chance to say anything.   A bit like someone replying "Yes, but..." and never getting the chance to go past that with the interviewer shouting "YOU SAID YES, YOU SAID YES, YOU SAID YES"

Admit I just watched the edited version. Kay Burley is a bit of a gob shite.

3 minutes ago, kumnio said:

KB says 'You cant stick this on the scientists'

HW says 'Well I can because nknc nsjkcnk acnal' then gets interrupted.

Whately is incompetent beyond even Tory levels, she is utterly useless.

Actually I don't even think she gets to "because".   She is useless but Burley has totally stitched her up here.

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

Actually I don't even think she gets to "because".   She is useless but Burley has totally stitched her up here.

She does get to because, then goes a bit Boris Johnson and brain farts.

Kay Burley isnt someone that Im a fan of, but she didnt stitch anyone up, Helen Whately is a complete fucking moron, she should be banned from doing press.

2 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Kay Burley isnt someone that Im a fan of, but she didnt stitch anyone up, Helen Whately is a complete fucking moron, she should be banned from doing press.

I beg to differ.  As I mentioned, I watched this live and the aftermath.   From this point on, the whole narrative on Sky News was that Helen Whately had said "I can pin this on the scientists", isn't she stupid and aren't we clever in tripping her up. rather than the detail of what she was trying to discuss, which was pretty much bollocks, but that's what they should've been focussing on.

I used to try and avoid Burley at all costs, but they moved All Out Politics to 10am a few weeks back.

25 minutes ago, kumnio said:

I agree. Ever since the Piers Morgan interview, possibly before,  the media know she is weak and it doesnt take much to rattle her.

She really does not help herself and  is nowhere near competent enough to stand up to the  press .