Season 19/20 - Page 211 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I'm prepared to corrected but I thought that Rangers were looking for the league to be completed, not voided.  Purely on a financial basis that would be more beneficial to them.

This is not an attempt at whataboutery but I'm reminded of when Fergus McCann was pretty much at war with Jim Farry for a number of years and finally got him on an administrative technicality.   I think a lot of that animosity stemmed from when Celtic Park was being redeveloped and Celtic played at Hampden.   The exact details of why that was the case are beyond me but it was pretty clear that McCann felt that Farry had done him over and he held a grudge about it.

I can see a lot of parallels with Rangers' attitude towards the SPFL and Doncaster in particular and undoubtedly that stems back to Rangers going bust and the fall out from that.   Like the situation with Farry and McCann presumably only those directly involved know exactly what's at the bottom of this and whether there's any justification in it.

Ooft, you're taking a bit of a leap drawing parallels there! About the only one I can think of is a member club being in dispute with administrators of the game. 

This is all getting more desperate by the hour with huns and jambos scrambling about looking for some justification. I've not read the whole thing but I really can't see any corroboration of the wild claims being made. 

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Lockdown is getting to me so bad I'm defending Neil Doncaster :)

Appreciate they've not said they want him sacked but it is the logical conclusion from what they have set in motion elsewise why do it?  They presumably want: him suspended; make case spfl fucked up; Doncaster carries the can and if voiding the season gets chucked in as a brucey bonus so much the better.

I'd amend that slightly.

They presumably want him suspended, make the case that the SPFL fucked up and get the season voided. If Doncaster getting sacked gets chucked in as a Brucey Bonus then so much the better.

Without defending Doncaster in any way here, Rangers see him being sacked as collateral damage and if it is part of the price of getting the season declared null and void then they won't lose any sleep over it.

Id like to see the back of Doncaster too, I just don't think he's a very good leader for our game, but I want him gone for fair reasons not having been caught in the crossfire of Rangers' obsession with voiding their season. There is zero chance that Rangers has any altruistic reasons for their action and it will be costing them money they can ill afford. They've never had the greater good of the game at heart in whichever incarnation you want to look at. They haven't started now.

11 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

You mentioned new players, there's a January transfer window where squads change, and not so long ago there wasn't a transfer window at all

Indeed there is and the reason why that was brought in was to try and give some stability to squads throughout the season and to try and ensure that clubs didn't poach players from rival clubs.  Up front, all clubs know what the rules are and can plan accordingly.

Before the transfer windows were introduced there was a point in the season beyond which no transfers could be made, from memory, I think it was with about six weeks or so to go.

Lets look at a hypothetical scenario.

One of Celtic's best players this season has been Fraser Forster.  He is on a "season long" loan.   Now I'm obviously not party to the exact details of the contract covering that loan agreement but I'm pretty certain that it doesn't have "until the end of the season whenever that is" in it but has an actual date.  That's to protect both clubs for obvious reasons.

If - and I can't see this happening - the season were to recommence then it wouldn't be until after that loan had expired, Forster would now be back at Southampton.

Now of course that loan could be extended if - and only if - all three parties, Celtic, Southampton and Forster agreed to it.    If that fell through because, say, Forster had a permanent move lined up to another club or because Southampton wanted a ridiculous amount of money for a loan fee - which given the circumstances they'd be stupid not to ask for then Celtic would be forced to either play someone who has barely played all year or get another keeper in.

Goalkeeper is a particularly important position - the impact of having a good one or a bad one is massive.    If that replacement starts throwing them in and Celtic suddenly start to drop points to the extent they lose the title would you be sanguine and philosophical about that and say "that's just how it goes" or would you be squealing like a stuck pig.  

Now, I'm not suggesting for a second that will happen - if for no other reason than I think there is zero chance of the league restarting - but hopefully you see how having such a long suspension means that you essentially have two different "seasons" played under different circumstances that have been conjoined and so the restart can't really be considered as a fair continuation.

25 minutes ago, slasher said:

About the only one I can think of is a member club being in dispute with administrators of the game. 

That is exactly what I am talking about in drawing a parallel.

28 minutes ago, beardy said:

Null and void would be peak Scottish football. The triumphal rewarding of mediocrity. 

Those who have played well get no rewards and those who are shite get no forfeiture.

And no club ever blew a league title in the last weeks of the season before and no-one ever escaped relegation on the last day?

Nope, can't think of any situations where either of those have happened.

Edited by aaid

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

Indeed there is and the reason why that was brought in was to try and give some stability to squads throughout the season and to try and ensure that clubs didn't poach players from rival clubs.  Up front, all clubs know what the rules are and can plan accordingly.

Before the transfer windows were introduced there was a point in the season beyond which no transfers could be made, from memory, I think it was with about six weeks or so to go.

Lets look at a hypothetical scenario.

One of Celtic's best players this season has been Fraser Forster.  He is on a "season long" loan.   Now I'm obviously not party to the exact details of the contract covering that loan agreement but I'm pretty certain that it doesn't have "until the end of the season whenever that is" in it but has an actual date.  That's to protect both clubs for obvious reasons.

If - and I can't see this happening - the season were to recommence then it wouldn't be until after that loan had expired, Forster would now be back at Southampton.

Now of course that loan could be extended if - and only if - all three parties, Celtic, Southampton and Forster agreed to it.    If that fell through because, say, Forster had a permanent move lined up to another club or because Southampton wanted a ridiculous amount of money for a loan fee - which given the circumstances they'd be stupid not to ask for then Celtic would be forced to either play someone who has barely played all year or get another keeper in.

Goalkeeper is a particularly important position - the impact of having a good one or a bad one is massive.    If that replacement starts throwing them in and Celtic suddenly start to drop points to the extent they lose the title would you be sanguine and philosophical about that and say "that's just how it goes" or would you be squealing like a stuck pig.  

Now, I'm not suggesting for a second that will happen - if for no other reason than I think there is zero chance of the league restarting - but hopefully you see how having such a long suspension means that you essentially have two different "seasons" played under different circumstances that have been conjoined and so the restart can't really be considered as a fair continuation.

I'd be saying "that's how it goes" because every single team in the league would have that same potential scenario. Same as if he got injured

Just now, Terry Munro said:

I'd be saying "that's how it goes" because every single team in the league would have that same potential scenario. Same as if he got injured

Would ye, aye?

23 minutes ago, aaid said:

And no club ever blew a league title in the last weeks of the season before and no-one ever escaped relegation on the last day?

Nope, can't think of any situations where either of those have happened.

So your solution to sorting out a season that is over three quarters finished, in the middle.of a global pandemic, is to reward mediocrity by calling null and void. Well done for being crap.

The correct thing is to reward those who have done well. Those who have been shite can try harder next time.

Bit ultimately it's to stop Timmy getting 9 in a row. This whole.fvcking charade is all about getting it up Celtic.

Fvxking null and void what a limp pathetic cop out.  

To me this is all about next seasons Season Ticket sales at Ibrox.

Gerards men droppped the baton and in the end put up no fight to Celtic, so now the Board are putting up a Fight, or stirring the shyte to make it look like a fight, to keep the fans on Board.

I think it will work. If the season had continued and Rangers continued to struggle while Celtic win everything again, there would have been stirrings amongst the faithful.

This has brought them back on board.. for another season at least-   

Doncaster is a clown , we all agree 

However , i repeat, IMO this is all about next years Seaon Tickets at Ibrox ( and a wee get out clause to try stop 10iar)

Everything else is just havers. 

Edited by stocky

11 minutes ago, beardy said:

So your solution to sorting out a season that is over three quarters finished, in the middle.of a global pandemic, is to reward mediocrity by calling null and void. Well done for being crap.

The correct thing is to reward those who have done well. Those who have been shite can try harder next time.

Bit ultimately it's to stop Timmy getting 9 in a row. This whole.fvcking charade is all about getting it up Celtic.

What he said.👍

2 hours ago, beardy said:

Bit the distinction is important. If you loan a company money and it goes into administration you lose the loan. Unless you are a preferred or secured creditor.  However the administrator sure as hell would still come after 'prize money due. 

So should the SPFL.have loaned x millions to SPFL clubs with the prospect of repayments never being met. Numerous clubs are going to go into administration due to Covid19.

There is no fvxking chance Rangers proposal wasn't looking out for themselves.

The original Rangers gave their players loans that didn’t have to be payed back, probably been loads of dodgy loans/advances in football for years.😜

What I take out of the last 2 months;

1 Scottish football is run by idiots (but we knew that)

2 Usually, the Evil Twins run the show (but we knew that)

3 The Evil Two's interests were different for a change, owing to Corona.

4. Rangers 2012 complaining about bullying has killed irony forever.

5 Clubs will probably die as a result of the lockdown but the papers will still focus on STEVEN GERRARD'S RANGERS v RA SELLICK.

6 Hopefully, to avoid the worst of that scenario, several papers will die as a result of the lockdown as well

7 RIght, we're homeless but we're now in tier 6 of Scottish fitba. I shall ignore the mince at the upper end of the pyramid and look forward to a relegation battle with Bonnyton Thistle, whoever they are. And the national teams, of course.

1 hour ago, beardy said:

Nothing's been lost, nothing's been won, no-ones achieved anything and no-ones failed.

I'll say it again, I really couldn't care less if leagues decide to award prizes or prize money based on the current league standings or not.  

However no team should be promoted nor should any team be relegated while there is still football to be played and that's a fundamental principle that is not based on which teams would be directly impacted.   The only exception I would make to that would be if a club were mathematically "promoted" and there was a corresponding team in the division above that was similarly already mathematically "relegated" but I'm not aware of anywhere that's actually the case.

@SPFL; Mr Robertson has been on the board for a couple of years.  Why didn't he make these claims back in 2018?

How the fuck is he supposed to see in to the future 🤔 

Their statement is an abomination and they've made themselves look even more dumb and inept than already noted in the 200 page document.  

Why did the Brechin chairman falsely tell League 2 clubs Inverness changed their mind to a yes vote, and that their votes didn't matter 🤔 

After reading the 200 pages its not an atomic bomb, its death by a thousand cuts to the SPFL. 

Its a shame those on here can't read the report with an open mind; well those who can actually read.  

I still don't understand why Neil decided to make such a cunt of it. 

League reconstruction is also off the table now as they didn't get the required support from the top flight clubs.

Really didn't see that one coming, I don't think.

Dundee are looking like even bigger mugs now.