Sign in to follow this  
kumnio

World Cup 2030: British and Irish

don't see an issue with it as long as its promoted as a joint bid from the four associations. 

Hampden's a shoe in.

That is because grounds need to provide sufficient run-off space for players and adequate areas for photographers.

4 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Have they worked out how the US, Canada and Mexico will host / qualify?

46 team World cup so Concaacf will get more places...get the feeling Mexico and US would be automatics and Canada would have to qualify as they're hosting far fewer games.

Can't see 4 British teams + ROI all getting automatic entry though.

I remember years back there was talk of a Scotland/Wales/ROI euros bid but that seemed to run into money troubles.

Could certainly do that for an expanded Euros now:

Cardiff could provide Swansea, Cardiff City and Millenium stadium (and maybe redevloped Wrexham Racecourse for the north) and Scotland obviously has the Glasgow and Edinburgh options and expanded stadiums for Dundee and Aberdeen.

Trouble with WC bid is all stadiums need to have minimum capacity of 40k so that creates issues after the tournament, think Euros is only 30k so more manageable.

Issue I have here is what stadiums could ROI and Northern Ireland provide? ROI had Avvia and maybe Croke Park, can only think of Windsor Park in Belfast. Think countries trying to get into bids just providing one stadium is a bit poor tbh seeing as Wales and Scotland would be providing 3-5 no problem.

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Good chance Ireland could be one country by then. Would give the bid a bit more symmetry anyway.

And the UK two...... Heres Hoping..... 👍

I don't trust the English FA or the SFA's ability to stand up to them (team GB). 

What would the tournament be billed? Greater Britain? EWSNIRoI?  If Scotland were not a named host country it would diminish much of the publicity value of being a host country. 

23 minutes ago, exile said:

I don't trust the English FA or the SFA's ability to stand up to them (team GB). 

What would the tournament be billed? Greater Britain? EWSNIRoI?  If Scotland were not a named host country it would diminish much of the publicity value of being a host country. 

Joint bids happen all the time.  Doesn't diminish that country.    

8 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

Joint bids happen all the time.  Doesn't diminish that country.    

Yes joint bids happen all the time. But they always have the names of the countries, and they don't have a history of joint teams. 

1 hour ago, adamntg said:

What's Norn Iron's role in this?  They making the teas?

Joint bid includes everyone.  The national stadium will be used for some games. 

This 2030 bid is great news all round. 

6 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

Joint bid includes everyone.  The national stadium will be used for some games. 

This 2030 bid is great news all round. 

Not if the minimum seating is 40,000+ as suggested.

On 2/8/2019 at 11:40 AM, Tartan Chris said:

46 team World cup so Concaacf will get more places...get the feeling Mexico and US would be automatics and Canada would have to qualify as they're hosting far fewer games.

Can't see 4 British teams + ROI all getting automatic entry though.

I remember years back there was talk of a Scotland/Wales/ROI euros bid but that seemed to run into money troubles.

Could certainly do that for an expanded Euros now:

Cardiff could provide Swansea, Cardiff City and Millenium stadium (and maybe redevloped Wrexham Racecourse for the north) and Scotland obviously has the Glasgow and Edinburgh options and expanded stadiums for Dundee and Aberdeen.

Trouble with WC bid is all stadiums need to have minimum capacity of 40k so that creates issues after the tournament, think Euros is only 30k so more manageable.

Issue I have here is what stadiums could ROI and Northern Ireland provide? ROI had Avvia and maybe Croke Park, can only think of Windsor Park in Belfast. Think countries trying to get into bids just providing one stadium is a bit poor tbh seeing as Wales and Scotland would be providing 3-5 no problem.

At present Wales could only provide one stadium. CCS only holds 33.5k so would need a further upgrade and add another tier to the stands behind each goal like was done with the Ninian stand. There are no such plans at the moment as it’s is easily big enough for current purposes.

Further west, the Legodome is a million miles away from being anything like a World Cup stadium, as is Wrexham.  Both would need significant and extensive redevelopment.

I think we would be looking at two stadia at the most from Wales.

12 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

At present Wales could only provide one stadium. CCS only holds 33.5k so would need a further upgrade and add another tier to the stands behind each goal like was done with the Ninian stand. There are no such plans at the moment as it’s is easily big enough for current purposes.

Further west, the Legodome is a million miles away from being anything like a World Cup stadium, as is Wrexham.  Both would need significant and extensive redevelopment.

That's OK.  Give England the vast majority of it I say.  Where's the harm. 

On 2/15/2019 at 1:22 PM, DaveyDenoon said:

Cardiff could easily bump up to 40k although given it's only a mile away from Millenium stadium Fifa might be funny about that.

I actually thought Swansea ground was 30k, surprised it's only just over 20k. They did talk a lot of expanding it when they were established in premier league so missed a chance with them in championship for foreseeable future.

Maybe if Wrexham get back in the league they could have momentum to build new ground.

Guess it shows difference between co hosting a euros and World cup. With euros you only need capacity of 30k to host matches so that would open up loads of potential stadiums in Scotland. World cup is 40k so then you get the white elephant stadiums.