The Mighty Celtic... - Page 258 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Mighty Celtic...

4 hours ago, Malcolm said:

shameful behaviour from some Celtic fans at Dens Park during the minutes silence.

Scumbags will always be scumbags, if they don’t want to sit/stand through it, enter the ground late, but these attention seeking wankers can’t do that. Utter cretins and an embarrassment to the club, but nothing will change. 

Maybe the sfa can step up and fine them, just like uefa fined Scotland last week, but they won’t have the bottle for it as usual. 

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

Scumbags will always be scumbags, if they don’t want to sit/stand through it, enter the ground late, but these attention seeking wankers can’t do that. Utter cretins and an embarrassment to the club, but nothing will change. 

Maybe the sfa can step up and fine them, just like uefa fined Scotland last week, but they won’t have the bottle for it as usual. 

Of course the SFA won't do anything (although the wee scumbags would probably secretly love it if they did - they could play their "we're being oppressed" card).

However they dress it up, the real reason they did it was for attention.  Nothing more, nothing less.  They just like playing at being "rhebels" every weekend.

Meanwhile, their sidekicks from the south side of the city wheeled out a British army cannon to the side of the pitch.  🙄

Both of the arse cheeks disrespect Remembrance Sunday by deliberately misinterpreting what it is about.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Of course the SFA won't do anything (although the wee scumbags would probably secretly love it if they did - they could play their "we're being oppressed" card).

However they dress it up, the real reason they did it was for attention.  Nothing more, nothing less.  They just like playing at being "rhebels" every weekend.

Meanwhile, their sidekicks from the south side of the city wheeled out a British army cannon to the side of the pitch.  🙄

Both of the arse cheeks disrespect Remembrance Sunday by deliberately misinterpreting what it is about.

Correct on all points 👏🏽👏🏽

"Both of the arse cheeks disrespect Remembrance Sunday by deliberately misinterpreting what it is about."

You make some really good points but I'm not sure about the above (although, yes, you're right, both of the Uglies abuse it). Remembrance Sunday means a lot of things to different people - some remember 'the glorious dead', other reflect on the stupidity of war, some mourn their own dead, some those from all wars, all nations, all sides. It's quite a personal thing.

The thing is, if the rhebel bhoys had stayed schtum, even if they had used the silence to reflect on some lovable republican rogues who had accidentally blown themselves up while trying to bomb civilians, they would still have been reprehensible, but they would not have offended anyone openly nor disrupted anything.

As it is, like their business partners in Govan, they will be whitewashed, exonerated, nothing will be done. Because they and their pals run the Scottish game. And it's rotten to the core.

I've spoken to a few of the lads who were at the game. They all say the same, i.e. 'all around them people were quiet and respectful', 'a few shouts from the front of the away end' and 'a large group arrived late, obviously pissed and made a racket coming in along the concourse.' They were all also unaware like myself that there was to be a minutes silence today, I thought it was next week. 🙅‍♂️

I am not excusing anyone who deliberately disrespected the silence but as usual the reaction is over the top. No comment on Dundee fans booing the taking of the knee, which seems to be a thing now amongst certain clubs? Maybe it's time for all the virtue signaling in football to go, including the annual poppy fest. 

Edit to say that the key phrase from the post above is 'its quite a personal thing'. That, I believe to be true. It therefore has absolutely no place inside a football stadium imo. 

Edited by slasher

16 minutes ago, slasher said:

I've spoken to a few of the lads who were at the game. They all say the same, i.e. 'all around them people were quiet and respectful', 'a few shouts from the front of the away end' and 'a large group arrived late, obviously pissed and made a racket coming in along the concourse.' They were all also unaware like myself that there was to be a minutes silence today, I thought it was next week. 🙅‍♂️

I am not excusing anyone who deliberately disrespected the silence but as usual the reaction is over the top. No comment on Dundee fans booing the taking of the knee, which seems to be a thing now amongst certain clubs? Maybe it's time for all the virtue signaling in football to go, including the annual poppy fest. 

Edit to say that the key phrase from the post above is 'its quite a personal thing'. That, I believe to be true. It therefore has absolutely no place inside a football stadium imo. 

Sorry, but 😂😂😂😂

Its not as though Celtic fans disrespecting a minutes silence for this reason is a new thing, you’re more intelligent than that to think it was people arriving late, let’s not try and kid anyone on here. 

8 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Sorry, but 😂😂😂😂

Its not as though Celtic fans disrespecting a minutes silence for this reason is a new thing, you’re more intelligent than that to think it was people arriving late, let’s not try and kid anyone on here. 

Kid anyone on about what? I'm telling you what eye witnesses are saying. If you don't believe them fine. It doesn't take any more than a handful of people to fuck up a minutes silence. 

8 minutes ago, slasher said:

Kid anyone on about what? I'm telling you what eye witnesses are saying. If you don't believe them fine. It doesn't take any more than a handful of people to fuck up a minutes silence. 

That it was people in the concourse that “didn’t know it was going on” as I say, there’s history of this every season, it’s not new, it’s simply scumbags acting like scumbags, there’s folk saying on Twitter that fans were chanting the name of a murdered Irish footballer, who was killed on his way to a football match by the British army, I assume this was purely coincidental?

6 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

That it was people in the concourse that “didn’t know it was going on” as I say, there’s history of this every season, it’s not new, it’s simply scumbags acting like scumbags, there’s folk saying on Twitter that fans were chanting the name of a murdered Irish footballer, who was killed on his way to a football match by the British army, I assume this was purely coincidental?

I think that's entirely possible having been on these trips. You're half pissed, having banter with your mates on the way into the ground. By the time you realise there's something going on the damage is done. Anyway, this whole remembrance thing is not a big deal for us. I didn't see or hear anyone discuss it in the build up to today. 

I'm not getting into what some guy says on twitter with you. I've spoken to four different guys who were there and they've all said pretty much the same. 

4 hours ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

"Both of the arse cheeks disrespect Remembrance Sunday by deliberately misinterpreting what it is about."

You make some really good points but I'm not sure about the above 

I think Scotlad is bang on. The main reason Rangers go to such extremes around poppy time is because they know Celtic won't. It's pure oneupmanship. 

7 hours ago, slasher said:

I think that's entirely possible having been on these trips. You're half pissed, having banter with your mates on the way into the ground. By the time you realise there's something going on the damage is done. Anyway, this whole remembrance thing is not a big deal for us. I didn't see or hear anyone discuss it in the build up to today. 

I'm not getting into what some guy says on twitter with you. I've spoken to four different guys who were there and they've all said pretty much the same. 

If that's true, fair enough but It would be quite convenient considering a small band of celtic supports are known to be against the poppy and remembrance 

It shouldn't be difficult to stay silent for one minute to be respectful but at the same time I don't think it's right to have over the top displays with soldiers and cannons. 

8 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I think Scotlad is bang on. The main reason Rangers go to such extremes around poppy time is because they know Celtic won't. It's pure oneupmanship. 

As the rest of my post makes clear, I agree with that bit. What I was questioning was that there is something fixed and immutable that 'Remembrance Sunday is all about'. We all approach it differently and subjectively. But we respect each others different approaches except for...

I usually slag off the over the top poppy celebrations that seems to be the norm these days but celtic fans dusrupting a minutes silence in Dundees stadium is scummy behaviour. Fair enough it's probably only a handful or so but it's still downright disrespectful especially as it's in Dundees ground. Not really one for minutes silences at games but you should always respect it when in an away ground even if you are not keen on the reason or the person it's for. 

18 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Did Dundee get the dates mixed up?

Where I came from, it used to be just one day. Whatever day the 11th happened to fall on. Then it became two days - the 11th and the nearest Sunday. Has it now turned into a whole week? 

Think the international break falling next weekend brought it all forward.

11 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Think the international break falling next weekend brought it all forward.

Why? 

If you are not playing on the day then there is no need for any gesture the week before. I'm not playing golf on Thursday. Does that mean I should have a minutes silence on the Saturday instead? These things are just getting out of hand.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Why? 

If you are not playing on the day then there is no need for any gesture the week before. I'm not playing golf on Thursday. Does that mean I should have a minutes silence on the Saturday instead? These things are just getting out of hand.

Used to be it would only be on the weekend of Remembrance Sunday and if you didn't have a match that weekend you didn't do a commemoration which is fair enough for me.

Somewhere along the line it seems to be almost mandatory that all clubs will have a commemoration on what ever is the closest home game.  Given the way that fixtures are scheduled, I guess some clubs will be having minutes silences three or four weeks before Remembrance Sunday.

Does anyone know exactly when this all turned into some sort of competition into who is showing the most respect?

Always thought the way that Chelsea do it is spot on.  They get a few of the old boys from the Royal Hospital out to lay a wreathe on the pitch, then a minutes silence and that's it, quiet, dignified, respectful.

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Why? 

I wasn’t involved in the decision making process. 

3 hours ago, aaid said:

Used to be it would only be on the weekend of Remembrance Sunday and if you didn't have a match that weekend you didn't do a commemoration which is fair enough for me.

Somewhere along the line it seems to be almost mandatory that all clubs will have a commemoration on what ever is the closest home game.  Given the way that fixtures are scheduled, I guess some clubs will be having minutes silences three or four weeks before Remembrance Sunday.

Does anyone know exactly when this all turned into some sort of competition into who is showing the most respect?

Always thought the way that Chelsea do it is spot on.  They get a few of the old boys from the Royal Hospital out to lay a wreathe on the pitch, then a minutes silence and that's it, quiet, dignified, respectful.

That's all it needs to be....dignified and respectful. Nothing more

I know of a place having a remembrance dinner and dance...now that's fucking strange behaviour 

On 11/8/2021 at 10:24 AM, KirkieRobRoy said:

As the rest of my post makes clear, I agree with that bit. What I was questioning was that there is something fixed and immutable that 'Remembrance Sunday is all about'. We all approach it differently and subjectively. But we respect each others different approaches except for...

I wasn't trying to suggest there is anything fixed or immutable about Remembrance Sunday.  I agree that it can mean different things to different people. 

What I think most reasonable people will agree on, though, is that it isn't and never  was intended to be a platform for indulging in jingoistic British nationalism and/or the most horrible aspects of Irish constitutional politics, which a segment of the OF's support take it to be.

On 11/9/2021 at 7:47 PM, scotlad said:

I wasn't trying to suggest there is anything fixed or immutable about Remembrance Sunday.  I agree that it can mean different things to different people. 

What I think most reasonable people will agree on, though, is that it isn't and never  was intended to be a platform for indulging in jingoistic British nationalism and/or the most horrible aspects of Irish constitutional politics, which a segment of the OF's support take it to be.

totally agree. It’s nothing to do with British nationalism or Ireland.  It’s about remembering the poor blighters that fought and died for our country.  I have had the privilege of visiting many of the battlefields and cemeteries from world war 1 and I for one will not forget it.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

totally agree. It’s nothing to do with British nationalism or Ireland.  It’s about remembering the poor blighters that fought and died for our country.  I have had the privilege of visiting many of the battlefields and cemeteries from world war 1 and I for one will not forget it.

👍

My great-uncle fought in WW2 - a massive Celtic fan and the first of his family to be born in Scotland to Irish Catholic parents.  There must have been thousands like him and, tragically, some who never came back.

When I think about that it makes those modern day Celtic fans who have decided Remembrance Sunday is another "ooh ah, up the 'ra" opportunity, or the daft wee bluenoses who have turned it into "Rule Britannia!! GIRFUY Timmy!" look ridiculous.