The Mighty Celtic... - Page 260 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Mighty Celtic...

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

personally, it doesn’t bother me one way or the other, but I note that nil by mouth are now recognising it as sectarian.  So what counts as sectarian seems to be up for debate…. Orange, Tim, fenian, hun, prod….  All seem to have been considered so.  I think context contributes a great deal.

You are right, I am a Hearts fan…. But if it came down to it and rangers were playing Celtic and the result had no impact on hearts I would want rangers to win.

Is it doesn't bother you, why advocate a ban for someone for using  the word? 

Nil by mouth are idiots for pandering to a small group of fans who are hell bent on finger pointing. 

I have no doubt you would be behind Rangers during an OF match, I think everyone on the TAMB new that 🤣. Unless the result has an impact on the dons, I couldn't care less. Personally I would prefer them both to fuck off to the moon and play each other 38 times per season.

The word "hun", "hun bastard" , "diet hun" (Hearts fan) , is no sectarian or abusive.. I've been called  fenian, and I'm Scottish, disnae bother me at all..... Anyhoo, nice wee debate there. Slasher came oot the winner.. Sorted..... 👍👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🍺🍺

Whether a word bothers somebody or not isnt the test for its meaning.

Legally its a word that may get you charged. Whether convicted or not depends more on the Sheriff as most like to stay away from the tit for tat football nonsence.

That being said it shouldnt be allowed on a Scotland football forum. If like people claim, its just another word for Rangers fans, why is it also aimed at Hearts, Airdrie etc

There are plenty of words that can be used to describe Rangers. Why use the word at all.

3 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Whether a word bothers somebody or not isnt the test for its meaning.

Legally its a word that may get you charged. Whether convicted or not depends more on the Sheriff as most like to stay away from the tit for tat football nonsence.

That being said it shouldnt be allowed on a Scotland football forum. If like people claim, its just another word for Rangers fans, why is it also aimed at Hearts, Airdrie etc

There are plenty of words that can be used to describe Rangers. Why use the word at all.

I've never heard the word aimed at Airdrie fans, thats a new one on me. Everyone knows why its used to describe Hearts fans. The point made was the word was never used to describe protestants but the finger pointers have won

Where do we stop? How about sheep shagger, should stop using that term too? 

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I've never heard the word aimed at Airdrie fans, thats a new one on me. Everyone knows why its used to describe Hearts fans. The point made was the word was never used to describe protestants but the finger pointers have won

Where do we stop? How about sheep shagger, should stop using that term too? 

Im surprised by that. Almost every person ive ever spoken to describes Airdrie fans as huns. Most hime fans will chant some kind of Hun song when I used to go to away games. Even when I was in Northern Ireland for work I had an "encounter" with some youths around the 12th July when I got allowed to go on my way because "Airdrie are more Hun than we are". 

Airdrie are generally associated with Proddy and Rovers (Coatbridge) with Catholic.

Personally speaking it doesnt anger me, Airdrie have an element of really scummy fans ourselves. As an adult though and working in law, I see the context of the use of the word all the time and it goes beyond the mere choice of football team. Its nasty and is part of a much wider problem.

As an comparison id highlight the use of the word "paki". Lots of people use the term to describe the corner shop which in a way is totally innocent however the word and its use goes way beyond that and when broken down there is zero reason to describe a shop this way. Its part of an underlying prejudice, known or not.

For what its worth I dont like the term sheep shaggers either.

1 minute ago, Diamond Scot said:

Im surprised by that. Almost every person ive ever spoken to describes Airdrie fans as huns. Most hime fans will chant some kind of Hun song when I used to go to away games. Even when I was in Northern Ireland for work I had an "encounter" with some youths around the 12th July when I got allowed to go on my way because "Airdrie are more Hun than we are". 

Airdrie are generally associated with Proddy and Rovers (Coatbridge) with Catholic.

Personally speaking it doesnt anger me, Airdrie have an element of really scummy fans ourselves. As an adult though and working in law, I see the context of the use of the word all the time and it goes beyond the mere choice of football team. Its nasty and is part of a much wider problem.

As an comparison id highlight the use of the word "paki". Lots of people use the term to describe the corner shop which in a way is totally innocent however the word and its use goes way beyond that and when broken down there is zero reason to describe a shop this way. Its part of an underlying prejudice, known or not.

For what its worth I dont like the term sheep shaggers either.

I genuinely had no idea about Airdrie. All I remember of Airdrie is their brief flirt with the top flight and a cup run in the early 90's.

Sheep shaggers is banter as far as I am concerned, Aberdeen fans sing it about themselves but then again we don't end to be as precious as either side of the old firm

Just now, vanderark14 said:

I genuinely had no idea about Airdrie. All I remember of Airdrie is their brief flirt with the top flight and a cup run in the early 90's.

Sheep shaggers is banter as far as I am concerned, Aberdeen fans sing it about themselves but then again we don't end to be as precious as either side of the old firm

If you are from Aberdeen (im assuming) then im not surprised. West coast of Scotland is a rule upon itself. Religion runs through the heart of everything. 

I remember being out for a drink with mates in Edinburgh who have known each other for 25 years, lived together etc. One was getting married and mentioned that the priest was gonna do the ceremony despite it not being in the church. The other mate asked him if he was Catholic / grew up Catholic. It blew my mind that ppl could know each other so long without knowing that. Its one of the 1st things that "gets worked out" in the West coast. 

For me its not about being precious. Its just unnessesary and not the type of country I want to live in.

4 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

If you are from Aberdeen (im assuming) then im not surprised. West coast of Scotland is a rule upon itself. Religion runs through the heart of everything. 

I remember being out for a drink with mates in Edinburgh who have known each other for 25 years, lived together etc. One was getting married and mentioned that the priest was gonna do the ceremony despite it not being in the church. The other mate asked him if he was Catholic / grew up Catholic. It blew my mind that ppl could know each other so long without knowing that. Its one of the 1st things that "gets worked out" in the West coast. 

For me its not about being precious. Its just unnessesary and not the type of country I want to live in.

It is about being precious for me. Call me what you want, I'll walk it off. I don't live in Scotland anymore, down here racism is a bigger issue than sectarianism.

22 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

It is about being precious for me. Call me what you want, I'll walk it off. I don't live in Scotland anymore, down here racism is a bigger issue than sectarianism.

I can respect and understand that position for an individual. Looking at the bigger picture id rather get rid of all things like that.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Is it doesn't bother you, why advocate a ban for someone for using  the word? 

Nil by mouth are idiots for pandering to a small group of fans who are hell bent on finger pointing. 

I have no doubt you would be behind Rangers during an OF match, I think everyone on the TAMB new that 🤣. Unless the result has an impact on the dons, I couldn't care less. Personally I would prefer them both to fuck off to the moon and play each other 38 times per season.

What the fuck have you got against the moon.

3 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Agree it’s about religion but most of the idiots don’t know much about religion, never go in a church apart for weddings/funerals etc, the hate between them is passed down from generation to generation by dinosaurs stuck in ancient history, there’s more chance of getting peace in the Middle East 🤯

2 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Agree it’s about religion but most of the idiots don’t know much about religion, never go in a church apart for weddings/funerals etc, the hate between them is passed down from generation to generation by dinosaurs stuck in ancient history, there’s more chance of getting peace in the Middle East 🤯

100%. When I say its about religion I mean thats the divider. Communities are seperated by "religion", starting with schooling and then working its way through a persons identity by the team they support. Even those not interested in sport will have a leaning towards one team or the other based on what side of the divide they are from.

3 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

100%. When I say its about religion I mean thats the divider. Communities are seperated by "religion", starting with schooling and then working its way through a persons identity by the team they support. Even those not interested in sport will have a leaning towards one team or the other based on what side of the divide they are from.

The shame is if you put them together as 5 year olds in a room to play without adults they would get on great 🥴

4 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

So just reading sky sports apologies for sectarian abuse towards that fat fuck Kris Boyd.. But, rangers fans singing about the death of Tommy Burns is under the radar.. Fuckin shocking, but no surprise there...

One is sectarian, one is just bad taste. Clear?

1 minute ago, kumnio said:

One is sectarian, one is just bad taste. Clear?

You really need a word with yourself. Both are fucking disgusting. Boyd is a cunt, an arrogant cunt, but Tommy Burns was a legend who never let the divide interfere with his football. He was class, well respected and loved by all Scottish fans.. "Bad Taste".. ?? Fuck off.. It's disgraceful.. 

35 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

You really need a word with yourself. Both are fucking disgusting. Boyd is a cunt, an arrogant cunt, but Tommy Burns was a legend who never let the divide interfere with his football. He was class, well respected and loved by all Scottish fans.. "Bad Taste".. ?? Fuck off.. It's disgraceful.. 

OK, I will try again. One is against the law, one isn’t. Clear?

40 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

if Sky had to issue an apology for every song in poor taste that gets overheard they’d need to do about half a dozen in most Rangers and Celtic games. As abhorrent as the Tommy Burns song will be it’s not against the law. In addition the sectarian/Boyd singing was being sung about 3 feet away from the live broadcast team and was directly referenced so they were pretty much forced to acknowledge it. It would have been exactly the same if it was Rangers fans calling Chris Sutton (for example) a Fenian bastard. 

6 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

The word "hun", "hun bastard" , "diet hun" (Hearts fan) , is no sectarian or abusive.. I've been called  fenian, and I'm Scottish, disnae bother me at all..... Anyhoo, nice wee debate there. Slasher came oot the winner.. Sorted..... 👍👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🍺🍺

Shock news… celtic fan declares other celtic fan winner in forum debate! 😂😂. Look, i admit, im a shit stirrer sometimes… personally idgaf about all the terms used… water off a ducks back

58 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

if Sky had to issue an apology for every song in poor taste that gets overheard they’d need to do about half a dozen in most Rangers and Celtic games. As abhorrent as the Tommy Burns song will be it’s not against the law. In addition the sectarian/Boyd singing was being sung about 3 feet away from the live broadcast team and was directly referenced so they were pretty much forced to acknowledge it. It would have been exactly the same if it was Rangers fans calling Chris Sutton (for example) a Fenian bastard. 

Why try to explain it to him? You'd have a better chance getting a dog to understand. 

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Nonsense, it was cellic singing it, it couldn’t of been offensive/sectarian/distasteful. 

They don’t do that, everyone else on the other hand…………….😆

• 4 weeks later...