Scottish Players in Action 18/19 - Page 21 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in Action 18/19

PASTA Mick

9 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He has played well for Scotland and Celtic, but wasn't great against England or in the champions league games for Celtic'  so I don't think the he is good enough to play teams of a high level week in week out. I hope I am wrong but I think his chances at Southampton will be limited.

I doubt if there are many countries in the world that could  put together a premiership quality team(we couldn't) so despite looking good for Scotland or Celtic he has very rarely  played against international opposition or club opposition of a high enough standard for us to say he is premiership quality. To be blunt I think that based on what he has done at 26 Southampton have made a mistake, but at 7 million all you get is a squad player.

Just my opinion and I hope I am wrong, but if you are right and he is one of our best I just don't think our best is very good.

Good chance to find out if our mid 20's Celtic players are really any good.

Have you ever posted a positive comment on here? 😂

The way you’re talking you’d think you need to be Ronaldo to break into the Southampton team ffs. 

In my opinion, not only is Armstrong good enough to play for Southampton, I think he will end up being one of their top performers this season. 

He has had an injury which hasn’t helped his progress and it will take him a bit of time to adapt to a much higher standard of league but there is no doubting he is a good player. It’s up to him to show how good he is though. As long as he applies himself properly and stays injury free then I’m confident he’ll do well. 

45 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He has played well for Scotland and Celtic, but wasn't great against England or in the champions league games for Celtic'  so I don't think the he is good enough to play teams of a high level week in week out. I hope I am wrong but I think his chances at Southampton will be limited.

I doubt if there are many countries in the world that could  put together a premiership quality team(we couldn't) so despite looking good for Scotland or Celtic he has very rarely  played against international opposition or club opposition of a high enough standard for us to say he is premiership quality. To be blunt I think that based on what he has done at 26 Southampton have made a mistake, but at 7 million all you get is a squad player.

Just my opinion and I hope I am wrong, but if you are right and he is one of our best I just don't think our best is very good.

Good chance to find out if our mid 20's Celtic players are really any good.

There is only one Celtic player that’s a stick on for me and that’s Tierney.  Gordon... 2nd choice, McGregor... possibly good enough for a start depending who else is on form...   Griffiths... def good enough to be our best striker when on form, but not always getting game time or on form.  Forrest has been a waste of a jersey for Scotland, and hendry shouldn’t be near the first team just now.., just not good enough. 

46 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Have you ever posted a positive comment on here? 😂

The way you’re talking you’d think you need to be Ronaldo to break into the Southampton team ffs. 

In my opinion, not only is Armstrong good enough to play for Southampton, I think he will end up being one of their top performers this season. 

He has had an injury which hasn’t helped his progress and it will take him a bit of time to adapt to a much higher standard of league but there is no doubting he is a good player. It’s up to him to show how good he is though. As long as he applies himself properly and stays injury free then I’m confident he’ll do well. 

Last positive comment I made was when Burke was playing for Forest, and that didn't work out well.

Think iv'e been Scottish for too long:banghead:

10 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

There is only one Celtic player that’s a stick on for me and that’s Tierney.  Gordon... 2nd choice, McGregor... possibly good enough for a start depending who else is on form...   Griffiths... def good enough to be our best striker when on form, but not always getting game time or on form.  Forrest has been a waste of a jersey for Scotland, and hendry shouldn’t be near the first team just now.., just not good enough. 

I don’t necessarily disagree with you but Tierney might be the only one that doesn’t start. I mean he probably will but not in his natural position.

McGregor has had a great start to the season (excluding last week’s game at Fir Park) but Gordon has the gloves at the moment and McLeish might stick with him.

Callum McGregor will definitely start I think and Forrest always seems to get a start.

Griffiths has started Celtic’s last 3 matches I think and will probably start against Rangers tomorrow. 

Now that Dembele has buggered off and Celtic haven’t replaced him, Griffiths will be getting plenty of game time. 

I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t start the next 2 games for us although McBurnie has been doing well for Swansea. 

It worries me how many off form players we have going into this window, the Celtic core that served us well in the second half of the last campaign seems to be breaking up and Robertson aside we have very few core members of our squad performing at a consistently high level. Even our midfield which used to be nailed on to be trusted with a settled 3 seems to be disjointed in terms of who we go with and being in-form.

7 minutes ago, BraveheartGordon said:

It worries me how many off form players we have going into this window, the Celtic core that served us well in the second half of the last campaign seems to be breaking up and Robertson aside we have very few core members of our squad performing at a consistently high level. Even our midfield which used to be nailed on to be trusted with a settled 3 seems to be disjointed in terms of who we go with and being in-form.

I’m not overly concerned. Yet, anyway. I’ll wait until after the Albania game before I worry. 

There are definitely some issues at Celtic at the moment but the players from there might enjoy the international break and put in a performance for Scotland. 

I’m pretty sure Belgium will pump us but we’re just looking for one good performance against Albania to get our Nations League campaign off to a good start. 

11 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

McTominay not even on the bench this afternoon. 

So frustrating.

On a positive note, McBurnie keeping his fine start to the season going. I wonder if we might play both him and Griffiths against weaker teams at some point? I think it could work well with Griffiths playing off him. When was the last time we started with two recognised strikers on the pitch?

12 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

So frustrating.

On a positive note, McBurnie keeping his fine start to the season going. I wonder if we might play both him and Griffiths against weaker teams at some point? I think it could work well with Griffiths playing off him. When was the last time we started with two recognised strikers on the pitch?

Griffiths and Martin started against Slovenia away. 

I can’t see McLeish starting with Griffiths and McBurnie any time soon though. Maybe if we get a proper minnow in our Euro 2020 qualifying group we’ll see both start but playing two up top is quite unusual these days. 

12 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Forrest, Tierney and McGregor were all terrific today. 

I thought Tierney could have been a wee bit better going forward to be honest. He had a few flurries in the first half but could have done better against a poor right back. 

Griffiths looked to be in half decent form when he came on. Held the ball up well and had a decent shot and free kick. 

4 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

McTominay not even on the bench this afternoon. 

Cant see him getting any real game time this season unless there is injuries, suspensions or Mourinho falls out with someone

For the 3 midfield positions i see him as 8th 

I really think some are blinkered by the fact that he plays for Man Utd rather than his ability and we've been caught out by this a few times 

22 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Last positive comment I made was when Burke was playing for Forest, and that didn't work out well.

Think iv'e been Scottish for too long:banghead:

I can understand pessimism when it comes to Scotland. I have been following the national team for almost 30 years  but it’s really not all doom and gloom. 

I believe we have a great chance to qualify for Euro 2020, albeit for a devalued tournament in a lot of people’s eyes. 

If we’re not good enough to do that then so be it but I fancy us to get there. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

I can understand pessimism when it comes to Scotland. I have been following the national team for almost 30 years  but it’s really not all doom and gloom. 

I believe we have a great chance to qualify for Euro 2020, albeit for a devalued tournament in a lot of people’s eyes. 

If we’re not good enough to do that then so be it but I fancy us to get there. 

We didn't value it when only 8 teams qualified Pete.

1 minute ago, Grim Jim said:

We didn't value it when only 8 teams qualified Pete.

We did when we eventually qualified in 1992. 

I don’t think the European Championships were really seen as being a ‘proper’ tournament until Euro 96 when it was expanded to 16 teams though. Since then it has almost been on par with the World Cup in many people’s eyes. It was certainly a higher quality tournament than the World Cup in terms of the group stages in my opinion. This is no longer the case. 

On 9/2/2018 at 2:31 AM, BraveheartGordon said:

Is this a joke? :lol: