Scottish player transfers - Page 211 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

5 hours ago, aaid said:

There’s lots of reasons that decide a transfer fee but I’ll give you one when you compare Rice to McTominey.

Declan Rice is two years younger than Scott McTominey and has played 60 more first team games.

Mctominay has played for a bigger club than Rice could ever dream of.

18 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

They would just import players from Brazil,Argentina etc & give them Saudi nationality after a couple of years, add them to a few local Saudis & you’ve probably got a really good national team.

Aye, but not really a national team.

wonder what your average Saudi in the street thinks about all this…… whatever an average Saudi in the street is?

9 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Mctominay has played for a bigger club than Rice could ever dream of.

McTominay is not a regular first team player at Man Utd and during his period there they’ve pretty much under-achieved.  He’s been in and out of a poor Man Utd team. 

9 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Jack Hendry rumoured to be on £80,000 a week, tax free. Can't blame him for going, Id be surprised if Steve Clarke drops him, he is very loyal to players who have done well for him.

Fucking hell! 😳 If he sees that contract out he's potentially setting his family up for generations.  Shitey regime or not, I doubt there are many of us who would turn down the opportunity to work somewhere for that kind of money.

Clarke won't drop him if he's playing regularly, unless someone better comes along.

24 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Jack Hendry rumoured to be on £80,000 a week, tax free. Can't blame him for going, Id be surprised if Steve Clarke drops him, he is very loyal to players who have done well for him.

Said similar. No reason to drop him. That league will be better standard than ours.

33 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Rice got most his appearances in an utterly shire West Ham team.

It’s an utterly bogus argument anyway.  

Arsenal wanted Declan Rice, West Ham didn’t want to or have to sell him.   They were able to jack the price up - every player has his price - and so he went for £100 million.  

If they replace him with McTominey, Man Utd want to sell players because they want to bring players in.  They’ll maybe be able to get a premium off West Ham that the wouldn’t get off say Everton, because of the Rice transfer.  

That’s what’s important, everything else is just stuff out the Daily Record hotline column. 

12 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

They can’t be stopped from buying what they like but they can be stopped from joining UEFA. Doubt it will ever happen regardless of how much money they have. Would take some size of brown envelope for it to happen. 

Especially, when UEFA are walking on egg shells after the fright they got with the talk of a breakaway European Super League. They know doing something crazy like allowing Saudi Arabia into UEFA is a huge no no. The sole reason Israel are in is purely down to political reasons as Israel is such a detested country by its neighbours and matches internationally such as qualifiers like Israel V Lebanon are not feasible. That is not the case for Saudi Arabia and never has been.

The rise of this Saudi league is notable only for the money involved. A lot of the big name signings are big names obviously in the twilight of their careers but more importantly (for me) the league lacks an established noteworthy history and I'd bet less than 10% of global football fans could name one Saudi league side which speaks volumes. You need status and famous clubs within to boast a true, proper league and all the money in the world cannot buy that.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Especially, when UEFA are walking on egg shells after the fright they got with the talk of a breakaway European Super League. They know doing something crazy like allowing Saudi Arabia into UEFA is a huge no no. The sole reason Israel are in is purely down to political reasons as Israel is such a detested country by its neighbours and matches internationally such as qualifiers like Israel V Lebanon are not feasible. That is not the case for Saudi Arabia and never has been.

The rise of this Saudi league is notable only for the money involved. A lot of the big name signings are big names obviously in the twilight of their careers but more importantly (for me) the league lacks an established noteworthy history and I'd bet less than 10% of global football fans could name one Saudi league side which speaks volumes. You need status and famous clubs within to boast a true, proper league and all the money in the world cannot buy that.

That can change, they have literally a bottomless pit of money to throw at it. I couldnt name any saudi teams until a few weeks ago and now i know a few. They keep buying top players and were given access to the champs league then having status and famous clubs can become a reality.

Just look at man city. They were a no mark relegation battler and now they are champs league winners and one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Psg used to be a team that wasnt that big until recent years as well but now they are huge.

Even on a smaller scale shakter donetsk have a higher profile now than in the past due to them consistently playing champs league.

I think if the saudis are given access to the champs league then their league could become a top league. If they had teams consistently getting to the latter stages of the champs league and europa league then it would become very attractive for players imo.

A few bribes and promises of huge money investment and uefa will do whatever they are told. We have seen how corrupt football is with the qatar world cup. Money talks at the end of the day.

11 hours ago, kumnio said:

Thats outrageous. Celtic fans must be flabbergasted at that amount. They slag the lad something rotten about how shit he was at celtic. Now hes earning 80k a week. 

Personally i like hendry and think hes decent but if guys like him are getting 80k a week tax free then the games hitting new levels of crazy. Where does it stop. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

That can change, they have literally a bottomless pit of money to throw at it. I couldnt name any saudi teams until a few weeks ago and now i know a few. They keep buying top players and were given access to the champs league then having status and famous clubs can become a reality.

Just look at man city. They were a no mark relegation battler and now they are champs league winners and one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Psg used to be a team that wasnt that big until recent years as well but now they are huge.

Even on a smaller scale shakter donetsk have a higher profile now than in the past due to them consistently playing champs league.

I think if the saudis are given access to the champs league then their league could become a top league. If they had teams consistently getting to the latter stages of the champs league and europa league then it would become very attractive for players imo.

A few bribes and promises of huge money investment and uefa will do whatever they are told. We have seen how corrupt football is with the qatar world cup. Money talks at the end of the day.

You are missing my point.

You can name Saudi teams only because they have been in the papers for what players they have bought not because of anything they have acheived on the pitch. Shahktar Donetsk you know of now because of their onfield exploits and that is in turn because of their domestic acheivements. Manchester City have a long history (even before they were bought by the Arabs) and had success too. Every league across Europe is awash with clubs with around a history of 100 years. Saudi clubs do not have that and in my opinion never will. Money can only get you so much. Like Qatar who bought the hosting of the World Cup but guarantee they won't be winning the World Cup in my lifetime.

22 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You are missing my point.

You can name Saudi teams only because they have been in the papers for what players they have bought not because of anything they have acheived on the pitch. Shahktar Donetsk you know of now because of their onfield exploits and that is in turn because of their domestic acheivements. Manchester City have a long history (even before they were bought by the Arabs) and had success too. Every league across Europe is awash with clubs with around a history of 100 years. Saudi clubs do not have that and in my opinion never will. Money can only get you so much. Like Qatar who bought the hosting of the World Cup but guarantee they won't be winning the World Cup in my lifetime.

Yes but if they get into the champs league and they market their own league as one of the best in the world with the best players then ppl will tune in to watch. Especially kids wanting to watch their favourite stars.

Man city have a long history but for most of it they were unsuccessful and tended to be average at best. Same with chelsea until abramovich came calling.

The world evolves and changes. Psg were only formed in the 70s yet they are now a massive club with alot of prestige and money.

Up until the 90s the south american teams and leagues used to be able to compete with europe in terms of standard but now they cant. 

If all the best players play in saudi arabia then you will huge shift over to ppl wanting to watch that league.

I just read that the saudi arabia ministry of sport is giving the saudi league 17billion in funds for transfers and wages etc. Theres only 18 teams in the top flight. That works out at 0.94b each team. Thats an obscene amount of money to pump in.

For me i think it will mostly depend on wether they can get champs league entry in the future. If they can then theres no reason why they cant have one of the top leagues in the world.

57 minutes ago, saintsparky said:

Rather than the Champs League, I think the Saudis will be targeting the new FIFA World Club Cup that starts in 2025 in USA.

4 Asian reams out of 32 team comp.

They should be able to get at least 2 or 3 teams qualified...

If a competition like that was to emerge and takeover from the champs league in terms of prestige then that could be a game changer. Saying that i think its very unlikely for that to happen in the next 20 years or more. 

You would need the elite european clubs to prioritise that comp and treat it as big as the champs league which i cant see happening.

I think a champs league amalgamation of europe and the middle east would be a better stepping stone to eventually having a world club cup that is considered the pinnacle of club football. Incorporating middle east teams into the champs league and then slowly inviting other nations in would be the route that i think would be most  likely but obviously thats just speculation and opinion from myself. Things can change and evolve in many ways. 

37 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yes but if they get into the champs league and they market their own league as one of the best in the world with the best players then ppl will tune in to watch. Especially kids wanting to watch their favourite stars.

Man city have a long history but for most of it they were unsuccessful and tended to be average at best. Same with chelsea until abramovich came calling.

The world evolves and changes. Psg were only formed in the 70s yet they are now a massive club with alot of prestige and money.

Up until the 90s the south american teams and leagues used to be able to compete with europe in terms of standard but now they cant. 

If all the best players play in saudi arabia then you will huge shift over to ppl wanting to watch that league.

I just read that the saudi arabia ministry of sport is giving the saudi league 17billion in funds for transfers and wages etc. Theres only 18 teams in the top flight. That works out at 0.94b each team. Thats an obscene amount of money to pump in.

For me i think it will mostly depend on wether they can get champs league entry in the future. If they can then theres no reason why they cant have one of the top leagues in the world.

You are leaping into the world of fantasy.

The Saudi league will never become part of the Champions League for reasons I have earlier stated so how are these Saudi clubs going to become established household names like AC Milan, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich etc etc etc.

I liken this to the 1970s when the US first tried to establish its league with the likes of New York Cosmos signing Pele and other clubs signing big names. It did not work in making the US league notable and even now there is no talk of US clubs competing in the Chsmpions League.

I will re-iterate the Saudi league will not be allowed to compete in the Champions League. Why would it? There are lots of far more established leagues in the world with lots of cash that have never been added to UEFA. The only country that has broken the mould is Israel and that is purely for political reasons nothing else.

29 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You are leaping into the world of fantasy.

The Saudi league will never become part of the Champions League for reasons I have earlier stated so how are these Saudi clubs going to become established household names like AC Milan, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich etc etc etc.

I liken this to the 1970s when the US first tried to establish its league with the likes of New York Cosmos signing Pele and other clubs signing big names. It did not work in making the US league notable and even now there is no talk of US clubs competing in the Chsmpions League.

I will re-iterate the Saudi league will not be allowed to compete in the Champions League. Why would it? There are lots of far more established leagues in the world with lots of cash that have never been added to UEFA. The only country that has broken the mould is Israel and that is purely for political reasons nothing else.

Kazakhstan? Azerbaijan? 

Also i would say the profile of the american football/soccer has been raised. Mls is a respected brand these days and is probably better than 75 percent of the european leagues. I would say only 7/8 of the european leagues are definitely better than the mls. That was partly down to the promotion and investment that happened over the last 40/50 years. If the mls was to spend 17billion on tranfers i would expect them to be able to create a much better league. 

I think you underestimating how much the saudis are willing to plow into their league. We are talking about silly amounts of money that even the epl might struggle to match. 17 billion over the next 7 years on just transfers according to the papers.

I am not neccessarily saying the saudi league will definitely become one of the best in the world but if they keep plowing in the kind of money they are then it will become a good league. 

14 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Understatement of the year award. 

Absolutely, another embarrassing SPL european performance last night.

Like a few on here felt a bit underwhelmed with Mebude going from City you Belgium but it's very hard to argue that the Belgian League is considerably more competitive than ours.

I'm excited this season in particular to see how he does, as well as Bailey Rice( if he gets enough minutes) & especially Doak . Among the other big hopes who have important seasons in front of them Ramsay at Preston & Ashby who could be going also for a season on loan at Swansea.

Getting back to the Saudi league, I'll not be watching a kick but It'll be interesting to see how Hendry gets on playing hopefully a full season against some top players.

I still slightly prefer Souttar over him as he is stronger but he is another who desperately needs a season of a good amount of play time without any injuries. 

13 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Kazakhstan? Azerbaijan? 

Also i would say the profile of the american football/soccer has been raised. Mls is a respected brand these days and is probably better than 75 percent of the european leagues. I would say only 7/8 of the european leagues are definitely better than the mls. That was partly down to the promotion and investment that happened over the last 40/50 years. If the mls was to spend 17billion on tranfers i would expect them to be able to create a much better league. 

I think you underestimating how much the saudis are willing to plow into their league. We are talking about silly amounts of money that even the epl might struggle to match. 17 billion over the next 7 years on just transfers according to the papers.

I am not neccessarily saying the saudi league will definitely become one of the best in the world but if they keep plowing in the kind of money they are then it will become a good league. 

Ploughing money into something cannot buy prestige, history and status. Like I said ploughing money into something means nothing. Qatar spent god knows how much securing the World Cup hosting but they will not become a football superpower on the back of it. The same goes for the Saudi league and as for the US league it can be bummed up all it wants but where is the club rivalry/local derbies and the club histories. All of which is vital for the growth and local interest in the sport. Plus there is just no atmosphere in the grounds too and that will be just the same as the Saudi league - sterile.

It is akin to Arabs buying up the best golfers for its tour. It may have got a merger but it will never host a major or Ryder Cup.

Edited by Caledonian Craig