Scottish player transfers - Page 164 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

On 2/5/2022 at 8:49 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

How exactly does the loan system work? Say he moved to Partick Thistle, would that mean he played and trained with them and his parent club just observed.

In that case a move there would be madness for any player with any ambition. A part time club is currently 4 pts clear at the top of our championship ffs

A part time club that pays full time wages. 

Still be better playing competitive football at the top end of the Scottish Championship and be in a title race than be sat on your arse at Cetlic playing the odd reserve game in front of 2 men and a dug. 

There is a reason he couldn't get in a shite Celtic team last season and why no team higher than Scottish Champ is interested in him.  He's not as good as he or those around him thinks he is. 

On 2/4/2022 at 12:12 PM, borojock said:

Personally I don't see Dembele as Scottish, he's chosen his path for whatever reason and he is fully entitled to do that. If his decision was based on the right judgement and advice is another matter and any discussion on that if fully based on opinion. 

Looking at Instagram seems very happy in the English camp and good luck to him, made his decision and let him be. 

I also don't think he will make it to full international scene or will end up playing consistently at a high level in the domestic game so i don't think he would be any key loss. His height will be a hinderance to him he doesn't have the strength or skill to overcome that. I know some may shout at Messi, Xavi or Iniesta but he doesn't have their skill set or ability to overcome that challenge. 

I also dont think he would make it at Celtic, cant see him getting in their first 11 and at some point in time if he wants to live up to his potential he really needs first team games as according to Wiki only had 7 games and around 112 minutes. At 18 really need more than that i appreciate injuries but still needs to go out and get first team football for himself. 

To be honest i would be more interested in his brother than him 

He's chosen England good luck to him. 

Agreed. Just another in a long line of ex 14 year old wonder kids

51 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Tierney being linked with Barcelona as well now! These rumours are growing arms and legs. 

Personally, I'm happy for him to stay at Arsenal, but it would be quite the sight having a Scot at one of the El Classico. From a psychological stand point, it would be very intimidating to opponents.

Do you mean intimidating for his El Classico opponents? 😉

8 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Took my a while to figure out this response but I get it now. 

If Tierney went to La Liga and was a success it would be amazing, it would be a big money move unless his contract his expiring this summer.  Where would Barcelona be getting this money from?  He would be 40 million pounds plus.  Arsenal are starting to get back to where they would feel they need to be, I cant see them being motivated to  sell unless his injury spells have made them feel its good business and they can go buy Hickey :) for half that.

9 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Haha Yes. He'll strike fear into the hearts everywhere he goes!

41 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Took my a while to figure out this response but I get it now. 

If Tierney went to La Liga and was a success it would be amazing, it would be a big money move unless his contract his expiring this summer.  Where would Barcelona be getting this money from?  He would be 40 million pounds plus.  Arsenal are starting to get back to where they would feel they need to be, I cant see them being motivated to  sell unless his injury spells have made them feel its good business and they can go buy Hickey :) for half that.

You'd think Madrid would have slightly more cash to burn, but both are looking for replacements for long term veterans. So it's not that absurd a rumour.

I'm surprised Robertson hasn't been touted, but they probably can't afford him. Gods knows what he'd be worth now!

On 2/23/2022 at 6:26 PM, Tartan blood said:

I'm surprised Robertson hasn't been touted, but they probably can't afford him. Gods knows what he'd be worth now!

I don't think any club would bother courting Robertson. I think he is completely loyal to Liverpool and he is a modern legend to their support, he comes across as a guy who would have no interest in breaking that

• 4 weeks later...

It would seem that the impact Hickey has made at Bologna has raised the profile of Scottish footballers in Italy and I'd bet Italian scouts are now looking up Scotland on their road maps. They  have seen Hickey succeed and he came pretty cheap so they no doubt feel more bargains perhaps await in Scotland. Also worth mentioning that Liam Henderson has not embarrassed himself either and has been in Italy for four years now with over 100 games in Italy under his belt and 11 goals.

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

Italian football clubs seem to be keeping an eye on Scottish football Lewis Ferguson has supposedly had talks with Cagliari and Sassullo are watching Ramsey and Doig apparently. 

Im not surprised by this although it is very pleasing. Now that Scotland are producing more technically sound players (due to the performance schools imo) our players are alot more attractive to foreign clubs.

They can pick up our players relatively cheap, have a ready made market in England to sell them onto at huge profit once they have developed them and the mix of better technical skills added to our historical strengths such as workrate, enery and passion etc means they can defo unearth some gems as Hickey has shown.

Lets just hope some more of our players make the brave decision to test themselves in mainland Europe.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Better off staying in Italy in my opinion.

Yeah would rather he continued his career in Serie A, made the move to a bigger club there & then when he gets an EPL move one day it should be to one of the big teams to be a starter 

37 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Career-wise. Newcastle United are not a stable club to move to who until recently were in a relegation battle and could still slip back into one. Far better moving to Milan.

Disagree,Newcastle since signing 5 players have been in great form. Their finances are secure  theyve basically got the biggest money pit in the world. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Disagree,Newcastle since signing 5 players have been in great form. Their finances are secure  theyve basically got the biggest money pit in the world. 

Yes and that sort of buy buy buy environment is the sort of place that buys replacements quick. Lets say Hickey moved there he'd not be given time to settle as they want results now. That is my opinion on it.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes and that sort of buy buy buy environment is the sort of place that buys replacements quick. Lets say Hickey moved there he'd not be given time to settle as they want results now. That is my opinion on it.

Let's say hickey goes there and makes the right back position his own? Why wouldn't he settle in? He'd be closer to home, working with a decent level headed manager. 

Milan could just as easily buy a replacement.

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Let's say hickey goes there and makes the right back position his own? Why wouldn't he settle in? He'd be closer to home, working with a decent level headed manager. 

Milan could just as easily buy a replacement.

Newcastle United are not the sort of club you'd hold up as a benchmark for all that is good. True that may have changed in the last few months but they are a club that has been in the doldrums for many years now. Whereas a move to Milan for example is guaranteed Champions League football whereas Newcastle will not even have European football next season.

33 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Newcastle United are not the sort of club you'd hold up as a benchmark for all that is good. True that may have changed in the last few months but they are a club that has been in the doldrums for many years now. Whereas a move to Milan for example is guaranteed Champions League football whereas Newcastle will not even have European football next season.

You're shifting your argument now. I never said Newcastle were any sort of benchmark. They have been in the doldrums but with the money they now have that probably will be a thing of the past, see Chelsea, PSG and Man City for examples. Money can and does buy success. 

Milan haven't been without their own financial troubles.

If Hickey moves to Milan or Newcastle, I would have no problem with either. He would get great CL experience with Milan but would get a great window to showcase his talent in the EPL if he went to Newcastle

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

You're shifting your argument now. I never said Newcastle were any sort of benchmark. They have been in the doldrums but with the money they now have that probably will be a thing of the past, see Chelsea, PSG and Man City for examples. Money can and does buy success. 

Milan haven't been without their own financial troubles.

If Hickey moves to Milan or Newcastle, I would have no problem with either. He would get great CL experience with Milan but would get a great window to showcase his talent in the EPL if he went to Newcastle

No its not shifting the argument. Their recent history of struggles is reason to avoid and is one of the reasons I'd prefer him not to transfer there as I have stated. In any case I think this is pure media speculation. I'd be surprised if Hickey were to make this move over a move to Milan. He has shown he is ambitious and aiming for the top and Milan certainly are better placed to offer that at present with Champions League football waiting and push for league titles. Newcastle are not at that level either domestically or on the European front yet.