2nd Place - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2nd Place

COLT NY

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playoff everytime, even just for the excitment of it. Depends how and who we lost to though. A dutch style hammering would not be good but a glorious defeat to an Italy or a Portugal wouldn't be shameful.

Was looking today and Northern Ireland have a good chance of being a seeded team for it baring a couple of dodgy results (a draw or defeat away to a god awful Norway team). They would also maybe need Turkey to pip Iceland and Wales not to make a late surge as well, all highly possible.

3 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Slovakia's Georgia may yet come.

Funny how we seem to be the only ones capable of such terrible results.  The next two games could easily be a 12-pt swing for or against us.

There is no doubt in my mind that Slovakia would get 100% if this weekend's fixtures were reversed. Anything less than 6 points for us is an embarrassment

Edited by norsefox

3 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Can anyone explain to me this nations league stuff. I just thought it was a standard draw for euro 2020.

How's it work with rankings. Are their pots for teams? Surely a strong finish is needed in the group for that alone and be in pot 3 at least.

Explaining it would be difficult.   Makes my head hurt.

However, there will still be familiar euro qualifiers for 2020.   4 of the 24 places though, will come from the Nations Leagues.   For that, we'll be in a 3/4 team group with teams close to us on UEFA ranking.   Those rankings have not been updated since 2016 I think, but will be fixed before the 2018 WC play-offs.   Dunno if there are pots, or if its 100% by ranking.

NL group games are Sept, Oct, Nov 2018 before normal qualifiers start Mar 2019.

Edited by Grim Jim
Confirmed the final UEFA ranking.

So reading more on this...

Lets throw this competition completely and get 0/12 points remaining :o   Is that too late to drop us to division D for the nations leagues?   (i.e. among the worst 16 in Europe.)

That could be our best chance of getting to Euro 2020:  Win our division D pool and we then have semi+final play-offs vs the other 3 div.D winners.   What can possibly go wrong?

2 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Lets throw this competition completely and get 0/12 points remaining :o   Is that too late to drop us to division D for the nations leagues?   (i.e. among the worst 16 in Europe.)

That could be our best chance of getting to Euro 2020:  Win our division D pool and we then have semi+final play-offs vs the other 3 div.D winners.   What can possibly go wrong?

Not a bad shout!  

4 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Can anyone explain to me this nations league stuff. I just thought it was a standard draw for euro 2020.

How's it work with rankings. Are their pots for teams? Surely a strong finish is needed in the group for that alone and be in pot 3 at least.

Pots are not locked yet, but effectively based on the current UEFA co-efficent (not the world rankings) its looking like this at the moment, with us in Group C.

Pot 1 – Slovenia, Romania, Denmark, Albania

Pot 2 – Scotland

Pot 3 – Serbia, Bulgaria, Norway, Cyprus

Pot 4 – Lithuania, Finland, Belarus*

*Azerbaijan and Estonia are hovering around this cut off point, so could change a bit.

We are pretty locked in pot 2, so I think it will take some very impressive results between now and November to get us into pot 1.

As for the format, we will either be in a 4 team or 3 team group, eg.

Denmark

Scotland

Cyprus

Finland

Effectively we would play all the games over Sep, Oct and Nov 2018.... with the group winner qualifying for a play off place at 2020 Euros (which will be held in March 2020).... eg (if we won our group) we would paired with fellow group winners Romania, Serbia and Norway in a mini knock out tournament with the winner getting a place at Euro 2020, with (eg) the winner of a Scotland v Norway match getting a place at Euro 2020 (4 spots in total are up for grabs).

On top of this, in 2019 we will have the regular format qualifying (ie the current system) .... this is where it gets more complex, as if you qualify through the traditional method of qualifying, then you are exempt from the Nations Cup method of qualifying in March 2020 and place goes to the next ranked team who have not qualified (or a tie breaker, this bit I am not 100% clued up on and struggling to get my head around a little bit)

Edited by wanderer

3 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

Tried this a few times - best I can predict is us finishing 3rd sadly ??

http://ultra.zone/2018-FIFA-World-Cup-qualification-UEFA#group=f

If Slovakia beat Slovenia, I have us needing 12 points, and to go into the last game needing to win.  If Slovenia win then we can do it with 10 points, and we can draw either of the last two games.  The is assuming Lithuania don't do us any favors and England beat the both of them.  If Lithuania do in fact either draw or beat Slovenia or Slovakia then we have much more breathing room.  In 10 hours, things will be clear on the last 3 games.  Of course, if we get 12 points then we take care of ourselves.  We are on a two match unbeaten run, come Monday night I hope that to be 4.

4 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Its based on UEFA Co-efficient, which is not really the same as the FIFA World Rankings.

We are pretty locked into our spot, so will be in division C.

As said previously, at the moment it looks like this,

Pot 2 – Scotland

Pot 4 – Lithuania, Finland, Belarus

Compared to this a couple of months earlier,

Pot 1 – Romania, Denmark, Greece, Slovenia

Pot 2 – Scotland

Pot 3 – Israel, Norway, Bulgaria, Cyprus

Pot 4 – Lithuania, Estonia, Finland

11 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

If Slovakia beat Slovenia, I have us needing 12 points, and to go into the last game needing to win.  If Slovenia win then we can do it with 10 points, and we can draw either of the last two games.  The is assuming Lithuania don't do us any favors and England beat the both of them.  If Lithuania do in fact either draw or beat Slovenia or Slovakia then we have much more breathing room.  In 10 hours, things will be clear on the last 3 games.  Of course, if we get 12 points then we take care of ourselves.  We are on a two match unbeaten run, come Monday night I hope that to be 4.

England have not lost a qualifier at home in 17 years.  For us to not come second involves us dropping points and/or Slovakia beating England

If either of the above happens then Slovakia deserve to make the playoffs.  Simple

For us to win all four games and make the play offs is very very unlikely.  I'd put the odds at even more remote than us winning those four games in the first place

Edited by norsefox

19 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Its based on UEFA Co-efficient, which is not really the same as the FIFA World Rankings.

We are pretty locked into our spot, so will be in division C.

As said previously, at the moment it looks like this,

Pot 2 – Scotland

Pot 4 – Lithuania, Finland, Belarus

Compared to this a couple of months earlier,

Pot 1 – Romania, Denmark, Greece, Slovenia

Pot 2 – Scotland

Pot 3 – Israel, Norway, Bulgaria, Cyprus

Pot 4 – Lithuania, Estonia, Finland

Dammit.   My next thoughts/fantasy were to get 12/12 points and hope to sneak into Div.B.

Since the March 2020 NL play-offs for the 4 Euro places are ONLY for teams that have NOT already qualified (20 places), we could possibly get a bye to the Euros even if we were last in our pool of 3 :huh:

3 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Dammit.   My next thoughts/fantasy were to get 12/12 points and hope to sneak into Div.B.

Since the March 2020 NL play-offs for the 4 Euro places are ONLY for teams that have NOT already qualified (20 places), we could possibly get a bye to the Euros even if we were last in our pool of 3 :huh:

When you start getting to the tail end of it, this is where I get lost on it...... :unsure:

When you look at the guide diagram to it, looks really straight forward and easy, its only when you try to put it down on paper does it struggle to get across.

I think it is possible to get into Div B, but will take some crazy results (guy who does the World Rankings Blog gave his expectations, and I think we only had a 20% chance of Div B..... and this guy knows his stuff.... the Welsh FA apparently hired him a few years back to ask what he could do to sort their rankings in terms of friendly matches to play, and it paid off)

Edited by wanderer

On 8/30/2017 at 4:27 PM, COLT NY said:

If you were offered right now second place in the group, but  a defeat in the playoffs... Would you take it?

If so, how about second place, but not enough points to qualify for the play offs?

Daft post. 

What rational person would take an elimination scenario when Scotland can still potentially qualify at this current time? 

24 minutes ago, irish said:

Daft post. 

What rational person would take an elimination scenario when Scotland can still potentially qualify at this current time? 

Thanks pal! 

For what it's worth I wouldn't take either option as I think we have every chance of winning each of the next 4 games.

The reason I asked the question is because there's so many Scotland fans talking down our chances, I was interested to see how deep their pessimism ran.