2nd Place - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2nd Place

COLT NY

15 minutes ago, wanderer said:

That's club coefficient, which is different than national coefficenet and used for Champions League and Europa League ranking.

National coefficient uses your results over previous European Championships.

I can't find the rules they will use to update the national coefficients in October.   I'm getting suspicious.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

The results against Malta don't drop of until it comes to deciding who are they best 8 2nd place teams. So goals against Malta are just as important as goals against Lithuania in deciding who gets 2nd place within a group. Goals against Slovakia will be doubly important. Mind you so are any goals that they score against us.

I think there is now a decent chance that Scotland and Slovakia will both finish on 18 points

We beat Malta 5-0. Then we beat Slovakia by 2 goals. The pressure is then on Slovakia to score a few against Malta in their last game. That's assuming England beat Slovakia and we can get at least a point in Slovenia. Should be a piece of piss really.

That's right.

haha that all sounds too perfect 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

The results against Malta don't drop of until it comes to deciding who are they best 8 2nd place teams. So goals against Malta are just as important as goals against Lithuania in deciding who gets 2nd place within a group. Goals against Slovakia will be doubly important. Mind you so are any goals that they score against us.

I think there is now a decent chance that Scotland and Slovakia will both finish on 18 points

We beat Malta 5-0. Then we beat Slovakia by 2 goals. The pressure is then on Slovakia to score a few against Malta in their last game. That's assuming England beat Slovakia and we can get at least a point in Slovenia. Should be a piece of piss really.

Scenario is simple really. We have to win our last three matches to secure second spot. Seven points won't be enough as Slovakia won't slip up against Malta. That being the case we won't be finisiing above them on goal difference barring some bizarre results.

21 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Scenario is simple really. We have to win our last three matches to secure second spot. Seven points won't be enough as Slovakia won't slip up against Malta. That being the case we won't be finisiing above them on goal difference barring some bizarre results.

3 wins is a fair enough target. If we can't beat Slovenia away then we simply don't deserve it anyway. The Slovakia game is straightforward as well - they did us over there, we need to do the same to them. Get those results and we deserve 2nd. Don't get those results then we don't deserve to go any further.

8 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

3 wins is a fair enough target. If we can't beat Slovenia away then we simply don't deserve it anyway. The Slovakia game is straightforward as well - they did us over there, we need to do the same to them. Get those results and we deserve 2nd. Don't get those results then we don't deserve to go any further.

That hits the nail on the head perfectly. 

43 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

I can't find the rules they will use to update the national coefficients in October.   I'm getting suspicious.

Finally found a UEFA document with the weightings they will use.   If anyone here cares, its:

WC 2014 (QC / FT) 20%

EURO 2016 (QC / FT) 40%

WC 2018 (QC / --) 40%

12 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

That hits the nail on the head perfectly. 

Everything seems to be black or white for you guys, when in reality there are only shades of grey.

We need to look at all scenarios, as we know that Scotland won't do it the straight forward way.

3 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Finally found a UEFA document with the weightings they will use.   If anyone here cares, its:

WC 2014 (QC / FT) 20%

EURO 2016 (QC / FT) 40%

WC 2018 (QC / --) 40%

Here is the best site to use, and last nights result has seen us go into Pot 1 of Div C

http://m.footballseeding.com/national-ranking-uefa/ranking-2017/

Just now, Orraloon said:

Everything seems to be black or white for you guys, when in reality there are only shades of grey.

We need to look at all scenarios, as we know that Scotland won't do it the straight forward way.

There are no grey areas here. Slovakia will beat Malta come what may so they are guaranteed to finish on 18 points. Therefore (the way goal difference is now) seven points won't be enough for us - we need three wins.

1 minute ago, Grim Jim said:

In searching for yon guff, I came across various prediction sites.   Most folk had us down for 3 draws and 1 win (Malta of course) for the last four games.   Beating the odds so far.

Might be back on course for 3 draws and a win after Monday?;)

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

There are no grey areas here. Slovakia will beat Malta come what may so they are guaranteed to finish on 18 points. Therefore (the way goal difference is now) seven points won't be enough for us - we need three wins.

Unless we beat Slovakia 5-0.

11 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Here is the best site to use, and last nights result has seen us go into Pot 1 of Div C

http://m.footballseeding.com/national-ranking-uefa/ranking-2017/

Right, to ease the forthcoming disappointment I'll be the first to do a draw for the Nations League :P

Good news!   A four team group... We've got Bulgaria, Norway and Estonia.

15 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Who is talking about chances? We are talking about scenarios and what is needed.

Well, you started it.

20 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And how likely is that? About as much chance as Slovakia slipping up against Malta.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Listen Mr Negativity - scenario is clear. Win the last three matches or we are out. Anything less won't be enough. We get the picture that you think we have no chance. Very good. Negative thinking is not what is required right now.

You're calling me negative? You're mental. I'm pointing out how we can do it with 7 points and you're just lazily saying "we need to win all 3 games".