2nd Place - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2nd Place

COLT NY

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I hope to f*** you aren't going to any of the remaining games. Support would be flat as f*** if we all had your attitude.

Spot on. Great performance last night and still no pleasing the boycott / doom and gloom monger types.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I hope to f*** you aren't going to any of the remaining games. Support would be flat as f*** if we all had your attitude.

I'll not be going no, the game is rotten from top to bottom up here, a couple of decent results against some mediocre times doesn't disguise that fact. I sincerely hope we get to Russia, but we won't.

2 minutes ago, Mox said:

I'll not be going no, the game is rotten from top to bottom up here, a couple of decent results against some mediocre times doesn't disguise that fact. I sincerely hope we get to Russia, but we won't.

I know exactly where you are coming from

For years I've been the confident type just plodding along hoping against hope that this will be the year we make a finals

Inevitably it always ends up as a glorious failure then spend the next 11 months convinced that next time will be when the squad is fully prepared and ready to compete

We know how it always ends up 

Even if we do make the play offs then we will not be seeded. We could potentially end up facing Spain, Italy, Portugal maybe even a France 

it's the hope that kills you

47 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

For years I've been the confident type just plodding along hoping against hope that this will be the year we make a finals

Inevitably it always ends up as a glorious failure then spend the next 11 months convinced that next time will be when the squad is fully prepared and ready to compete

Even if we do make the play offs then we will not be seeded. We could potentially end up facing Spain, Italy, Portugal maybe even a France 

I bet Wales fans had that mindset and they hadn't qualified for anything for 60 years, likewise Iceland. The padt means sod all it is the here and now and onwards that counts.

53 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

A France. Is there more than one of the fuc#ers? ?

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No place for realism in the Scotland support at this stage of the qualifiers? 

Can hardly blame people for being pessimistic based on previous campaigns. 

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

No place for realism in the Scotland support at this stage of the qualifiers? 

Can hardly blame people for being pessimistic based on previous campaigns. 

And like I said previous campaigns mean jack s***. It is the here and now that matters. In 2000 were we a stick on certainty to qualify just becsuse we did so in 98? Of course not. Wales hadn't qualified for anything for almost 60 years but never stopped them making the Euros. Look to the future not to the past.

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And like I said previous campaigns mean jack s***. It is the here and now that matters. In 2000 were we a stick on certainty to qualify just becsuse we did so in 98? Of course not. Wales hadn't qualified for anything for almost 60 years but never stopped them making the Euros. Look to the future not to the past.

We're 4 points and 7 goals behind a team who beat us 3 0 less than a year ago, with 3 games left. I'd love us to do it but will hold off planning that Russia trip just yet. 

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

We're 4 points and 7 goals behind a team who beat us 3 0 less than a year ago, with 3 games left. I'd love us to do it but will hold off planning that Russia trip just yet. 

Nobody is planning trips to Russia just as nobody should be ruling us out either until it is all over. Negative thoughts are not what is needed just now.

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Hope the players don't sense my negative thoughts. 

No its nothing to do with that. It is just so f***ing depressing having 'supporters' being so negative despite a 3-0 away win. We may very well not make the play-offs but why make it worse by being so bloody depressing even at times such as after a 3-0 away win.

Ukraine now top of the group with Croatia having a game in hand against Kosovo. I wonder if this could eventually benefit or hinder our placing if we finish second?

There has been calls by some Ukrainian officials to boycott the Russian World Cup should they qualify. It could be quite interesting to keep an eye on

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No its nothing to do with that. It is just so f***ing depressing having 'supporters' being so negative despite a 3-0 away win. We may very well not make the play-offs but why make it worse by being so bloody depressing even at times such as after a 3-0 away win.

I think you confuse negativity for being realistic. 

4 hours ago, Bino's said:

Germany Poland and Ireland was a stinker

as was Belgium Serbia and Croatia

OK, forgot about the Belgium group. We didn't get anywhere near qualifying that time.

Seem to remember most people being happy enough with the Germany group when the draw was made considering the pot we were in, we could have got a much tougher group. We expected Germany to beat everyone and we were competing with Poland and Ireland for 2nd or 3rd. At the time we were on a much better run of results than Ireland and were way above them in the rankings. We should have got at least a play-off place.

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

We've played England twice, Slovakia haven't.

Assuming England win on Monday and we beat Malta, we will be one point behind Slovakia and could very well have a better goal difference and a playoff place will be in our own hands. OK so we will have played Malta twice but that won't matter if we win our last two games.

To stand any chance of getting a playoff we were probably always going to have to beat Slovakia at home. Failing to beat Lithuania at home means we have to beat Slovenia away which is a big ask. 

Given that only one player who started against Lithuania at Hampden started last night, we are now a completely different team and I think we've got a chance of a playoff although Slovakia are favourites. 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Nobody is planning trips to Russia just as nobody should be ruling us out either until it is all over. Negative thoughts are not what is needed just now.

You're right, negativity spreads to the players and manager. It's our fault we are shit. Let's all be happy clappers and think we can do it.