Angus Gunn - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Angus Gunn

Scout

If I was Alex Mcleish I'd also be talking to my X team mate Bryan Gunn and see if we can get his son Angus into our squad - I know he's been in England squads from 16 to 21s but Bryan is a Scottish international his son should follow suit.

If not goalkeeper could be a problem position going forward with Gordon - McGregor - Marshall all getting older/injured /not playing 

Leaves Archer millwall and possibly McLaughlin Hearts 

On the bigger subject i think we do need to be a bit cuter and structured with dual citizen players at a younger age group. We need to identify players in Scotland that could play for someone else and those in England that could play for us and send a someone with a name and reputation to meet them and start wooing them at a young age and get them feeling positive and passionate about scotland and build that relationship and connection

I see we lost a player called Terry Taylor to Wales, only 16 moved in the summer from Aberdeen to Wolves, hes played for Scotland at youth level and then for some reason joined Wales. Now he might not come of anything but i said the same thing about James McCarthy at a similar age and he would of been a value to Scotland 

Also agree with you 100% im worried where we will be goalie wise in 2 years as Gordon, McGregor and Marshall will probably all be gone leaving us very thin on the ground 

Think chances are slim for Gunn.

I once met his dad and joked about it with him, but end of the day the boy was born in England and grew up and lived there his whole life (plus his mum is English).

He is well in with the England set up and thought of very highly by them, so chances are very slim that he will have a change of heart.

I came across a good article about Bryan Gunn just the other day

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/author-of-a-different-kind-of-football-book-fighting-back-with-the-gunns-421437.html

He's quoted as saying

Angus is also a keeper, a fan of Robert Green and Petr Cech, and already plays for Norwich's Under-12s. "He says he wants to play for England, but I've registered him with the Scottish FA, too, don't you worry."

14 hours ago, ProudScot said:

For me our best goalie right now is Jon McLaughlin who is 30.

Between him and Jordan Archer we should be fine for the next while & have Robbie McCrorie coming through who looks like he has a lot of potential.

Lets focus on the future with the squads coming up please Eck. 

McLaughlin is a great shot stopper, one of those keepers that just seems to have the knack for being in the right place at the right time. 

14 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

You all seem to forget that goalies mature in their thirties. Think Italy and Zoff, Buffon, Alberstosi - think the greatest of all, Lev Yashin at 40. Far too early to start fretting about the succession - there will be more to join Robbie McCrorie 'fore too long. Archer and MacLaughlin can buy us time.

For every keeper who was  good nearing 40 I will name you a hundred that weren't.

17 hours ago, wanderer said:

Think chances are slim for Gunn.

I once met his dad and joked about it with him, but end of the day the boy was born in England and grew up and lived there his whole life (plus his mum is English).

He is well in with the England set up and thought of very highly by them, so chances are very slim that he will have a change of heart.

I'd be surprised if he ever plays for us too. If he doesn't get a look in for England he might have a change of heart, but since he's come up through their youth system and he's now playing regularly on loan at Norwich I'd be surprised if that happened. A pity, because from what I've seen of him he looks the real deal.

52 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

For every keeper who was  good nearing 40 I will name you a hundred that weren't.

Craig Gordon, although he's not near 40 yet, doesn't look the keeper he was before his last serious injury. 

20 hours ago, Scout said:

If I was Alex Mcleish I'd also be talking to my X team mate Bryan Gunn and see if we can get his son Angus into our squad - I know he's been in England squads from 16 to 21s but Bryan is a Scottish international his son should follow suit.

If not goalkeeper could be a problem position going forward with Gordon - McGregor - Marshall all getting older/injured /not playing 

Leaves Archer millwall and possibly McLaughlin Hearts 

Not having a go, everyone entitled to their opinion. But this guy has openly said he’s supported England all his life and has played for them at youth level and said that is who he wants to play for. Yet you still would want our manager to go and convince him to pull on a Scotland shirt? I just don’t get it. 

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

I'd be surprised if he ever plays for us too. If he doesn't get a look in for England he might have a change of heart, but since he's come up through their youth system and he's now playing regularly on loan at Norwich I'd be surprised if that happened. A pity, because from what I've seen of him he looks the real deal.

Craig Gordon, although he's not near 40 yet, doesn't look the keeper he was before his last serious injury. 

In which case we should tell him to fuck off.

6 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

McLaughlin is a great shot stopper, one of those keepers that just seems to have the knack for being in the right place at the right time. 

Funny I always looked it the the other way, great shot stoppers were in the wrong place that's why they had to make great stops

On 28/02/2018 at 8:51 PM, borojock said:

On the bigger subject i think we do need to be a bit cuter and structured with dual citizen players at a younger age group. We need to identify players in Scotland that could play for someone else and those in England that could play for us and send a someone with a name and reputation to meet them and start wooing them at a young age and get them feeling positive and passionate about scotland and build that relationship and connection

I see we lost a player called Terry Taylor to Wales, only 16 moved in the summer from Aberdeen to Wolves, hes played for Scotland at youth level and then for some reason joined Wales. Now he might not come of anything but i said the same thing about James McCarthy at a similar age and he would of been a value to Scotland 

Also agree with you 100% im worried where we will be goalie wise in 2 years as Gordon, McGregor and Marshall will probably all be gone leaving us very thin on the ground 

Ironically the young Mr Taylor was back in our setup again as you can see:

Perhaps just me but I do not understand those who can chop and change their nationality. Obviously I take far too much pride in mine!

On 28/02/2018 at 8:51 PM, borojock said:

It's difficult though

Shelvey was courted in levein s time

He said no and has a couple of England caps

He could have 30 caps for us and be the centre of our team

But would he have ever performed if picked, would he have given a fuck

You have to work out whether they actually want it and will properly turn up

28 minutes ago, Bino's said:

It's difficult though

Shelvey was courted in levein s time

He said no and has a couple of England caps

He could have 30 caps for us and be the centre of our team

But would he have ever performed if picked, would he have given a fuck

You have to work out whether they actually want it and will properly turn up

Shelvey’s shite. No chance he’d have got 30.