Squad to play England - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad to play England

andyD

5 hours ago, andyD said:

Craig Gordon
David Marshall
Jack Hamilton

Calum Paterson
Stephen Kingsley
Lee Wallace

Christophe Berra
Gordon Greer
Grant Hanley
Russell Martin

Barry Bannan
Scott Brown
Darren Fletcher
James McArthur
John McGinn
James Morrison
Robert Snodgrass

Oliver Burke
James Forrest
Ikechi Anya
Matt Ritchie

Steven Fletcher
Leigh Griffiths
Chris Martin
Steven Naismith

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Maloney and Shinnie!!?

What the feck is Strachan's problem with Aberdeen, he does know there are clubs north of Edinburgh right!?

Chris Martin in the squad ahead of Rhodes and McCormack, both would do more in 90 than Chris does in 5mins lol.

Oh well, this will be last squad named by Strachan, it sounded that way on STV News anyway when he talked about everyones future after the debrief.

2 hours ago, andyD said:

This is the team I 100% fear us putting out:

Marshall
Paterson - Martin - Hanley - Wallace
Fletcher - Brown
Snodgrass - McArthur - Ritchie
Martin

For me we get ruined 3 or 4 nil with that.. we've got all the guys with poor technique and low work-rate, there's no pace at all, it sticks with the same players despite them not getting game time at club level and it'll just be a horror show for 95 minutes.

Unfortunately I think there's a 70% chance that that'll be the side we start the game with.

I agree, I think that is the likeliest side too :( 

4 hours ago, andyD said:

Marshall
Fletcher - Brown
Martin

For me we get ruined 3 or 4 nil with that.. we've got all the guys with poor technique and low work-rate, there's no pace at all, it sticks with the same players despite them not getting game time at club level and it'll just be a horror show for 95 minutes.

Unfortunately I think there's a 70% chance that that'll be the side we start the game with.

Got a feeling yer right...but Bannan instead a Snodgrass 

Either way..bad times 

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

That team wouldnt suprise me, although Id rather see this

Marshall
Paterson - Martin - Berra - Wallace
McArthur - Brown
Snodgrass - Naismith - Burke
Griffiths

I would love you to be right but strachan will stick with what he knows depressingly.

even throwing someone like Armstrong in would have been positive.

but rest assured Martin/fletcher will start as will Ritchie and bannan. 

10 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

Strachan is clueless . Struggled to get a draw with Lithuania then get battered in Slovakia so he goes and picks the same players that have failed again and again . I think he wants to be sacked 

It wasn't the players he picked in the squad that was the problem, it was the system and team selection. Far to slow and lethargic, absolutely no pace. Playing a big target man is fine for lay-offs and holding the ball up providing you have a Durrant or Wark-type player bursting through (Bryson maybe?) but when you have Martin/Fletcher flicking on to no-one what's the point?

Surely to fvck Strachan won't go with the same look again? We created more in the last 20 mins against Slovakia with pace in the side (Anya and Griffiths). He must've noticed that? Some of England's players could catch pidgeons and we need to match that -  you'd be lucky if Ritchie, Martin, Snoddy could catch a leftover turkey piece. 

Edited by McTeeko

i just want griffiths, brown, gordon and burke to start and snoddy if fit, the rest are pretty much as poor as each other

i would go with this though

gordon

paterson  martin hanley wallace (god help us)

brown mcarthur

burke            snodgrass (ritchie if RS is out)    anya

griffiths

Edited by LewisEDI

30 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

It wasn't the players he picked in the squad that was the problem, it was the system and team selection. Far to slow and lethargic, absolutely no pace. Playing a big target man is fine for lay-offs and holding the ball up providing you have a Durrant or Wark-type player bursting through (Bryson maybe?) but when you have Martin/Fletcher flicking on to no-one what's the point?

Surely to fvck Strachan won't go with the same look again? We created more in the last 20 mins against Slovakia with pace in the side (Anya and Griffiths). He must've noticed that? Some of England's players could catch pidgeons and we need to match that -  you'd be lucky if Ritchie, Martin, Snoddy could catch a leftover turkey piece. 

Good point.

6 hours ago, andyD said:

Marshall
Fletcher - Brown
Martin

I honestly winced when I read that team - because I think you're right, barring injuries that'll be the team he picks.  And England will cuff us without getting out of second gear.

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

:lol:

Bring back Charlie Adam, he'd never let a turkey piece go to waste!

11 hours ago, irish said:

Regarding formation/tactics lads, how does Strachan usually  set up?

5 in midfield  and one up front as a target man?  Defensive in general ?

Badly

Yes and with a target man with as much mobility as a fencing stab. And a worse goals record.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Did Strachan really say he wasn't sure if Brown was back for one game or not?

I haven't seen his interview but I have been told the above

Yup, that's what he said. Started rambling about "post-match debrief" and that we'd see what comes out of that. 

Hopefully what comes out of it is Strachan getting to feck. 

Of course.. with the same squad we could field:

Gordon
Martin - Berra - Kingsley
Paterson - Morrison - Brown - Anya
Forrest - Griffiths - Burke

5-4-1 out of possession with pace around the place to break, and overlap when the chance arises.
I'd rather we had another solid defensive mid in the squad like Mulgrew or McDonald who could physically compete with the likes of Alli and Henderson. Much as I actually like Bannan and McGinnn, this isn't really the game for them. The English midfield are big enough and strong enough to run past McGinn or Bannan, Morrison seems the best option as he's experienced, decent on the ball, as big as we've got in the squad and i trust him more than Fletcher given his recent displays for us. But having someone who is comparable or bigger physically (as well as a half decent footballer) would make a difference. Suddenly the England player are having to run around us instead of past us.

Still the point i'm trying to make is that the options are there in the squad to play a different way from how we have been playing. I know we probably won't.. that Darren Fletcher will play, that Hanley will play, that McArthur will play.. but.. maybe looking beyond the England game.. we have possibilities and the options exist which let us be a very different side than we currently are.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Did Strachan really say he wasn't sure if Brown was back for one game or not?

I haven't seen his interview but I have been told the above

He didn't exactly say that.. but he didn't say "no, he's back for good", so people have taken what they want from it.

Tbh I'm not sure it matters.
Is our midfield going to be better for having Brown in it for this game? Yes.
So whether he's going to run out at Hampden in March isn't really an issue right now, is it?

12 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Yup, that's what he said. Started rambling about "post-match debrief" and that we'd see what comes out of that. 

Hopefully what comes out of it is Strachan getting to feck. 

Hopefully what comes out of it is we're delighted to be top of the group.

1 minute ago, andyD said:

Hopefully what comes out of it is we're delighted to be top of the group.

Aye and hopefully i wake up in bed next to Sienna Miller. It's pretty unlikely though.