Puts it all into perspective - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Puts it all into perspective

1 hour ago, Topcat said:

some disappointing stuff going on here gents - barney's a jags fan (like me) and was simply extending his sincere opinion on a tragic accident on the opposing fans on the way to a football game - facts are some folk will be without their son/dad/husband tonight with three others not doing so well which is a very sad chain of events

without wishing to appear in any way maudlin, showing a bit of empathy for a fellow football fans family (regardless of how much you can all despise the entity of RFC) on a football forum seems an appropriate thing to do

seeking to score political anti-club points in such a manner is disrespectful indeed.

Spot on.

Tragic news.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, thplinth said:

As tragic as any death is are you not being a bit maudlin here. Road deaths happen every day I would guess in Scotland alone. This is not like Hillsborough with the 'going to the football and not coming home' stuff. Come on now. It is a road accident on the way to the football. If it was on the way to another event (say a take that concert) would it put it all into perspective. I think you are being a bit over dramatic here. And this thread is a bit like that place where everyone comes to lay their cyber wreaths. I miss Tam4Ritchie he would have been on this shit.

Desperate cry for help. What a complete w ank. 

4 hours ago, thplinth said:

Sure. When a family gets killed in the next car crash in Scotland I expect you on here wailing like it is Hiroshima. Sorry I find this look at me I am grieving so much mawkish shit.

If youre not happy dont post. Else yiu come across, as normal, a smart arsed twat.

6 hours ago, they've_been_suckered said:

Desperate cry for help. What a complete w ank. 

6 hours ago, mariokempes56 said:

If youre not happy dont post. Else yiu come across, as normal, a smart arsed twat.

Well I can see you are both very upset at this tragic accident so once again allow me to apologize for my insensitivity here. Rather than take the focus away from these sad events I shall once again simply apologize - sorry Mario and Suckered - and withdraw to allow the thread to get back on topic.

Tragic news unfortunately. 

@Boynze - absolutely no need. Many a Don on my fb have commented on their sadness at the event. It comes across as you actively looking for someone to mention something negative. 

@thplinth - a man has died, a family has lost a person they love. You're comments were not required buddy. 

I hope the club reaches out to the family of Ryan Baird, and assist in any way possible to make this tragic time a little easier.  The same to all others who have been affected by this. 

This thread is a microcosm of society. The vast majority of folk on here, despite their rivalries, are able to conduct themselves with decency. However, there is a minority of attention seekers intent on causing controversy. 

As a football fan, who has spent many thousands of hours in buses travelling up and down and sometimes out of the country going to games, my thoughts are with this poor guys friends and families. 

To be fair the TAMB has a very wide variety of responses to the news that someone is "deid". Sometimes it is taken very seriously and other times it seems fine to make jokes and not give much of a shit. The Helen Donegan thread being the most recent example that I recall. Christ and she used to post on here and had met lots of folk. Clearly I have misjudged the grief level here. I foolishly posted too early on. Next time I will wait to see whether we are in GriefCon1 or GriefCon5 before making a (controversial) post. 

Edited by thplinth

16 hours ago, thplinth said:

As tragic as any death is are you not being a bit maudlin here. Road deaths happen every day I would guess in Scotland alone. This is not like Hillsborough with the 'going to the football and not coming home' stuff. Come on now. It is a road accident on the way to the football. If it was on the way to another event (say a take that concert) would it put it all into perspective. I think you are being a bit over dramatic here. And this thread is a bit like that place where everyone comes to lay their cyber wreaths. I miss Tam4Ritchie he would have been on this shit.

Spot on. In addition, the cretin was a racist scumbag and just cos he's deed we don't need to romantisise over him. 

I don't think the whole 'grief' thing has happened much, if at all here. A few posts saying 'tragic/poor family etc'. Not much of a grief-fest really. Quite dignified and reflective. It's when a 'celeb' dies that the public grief festival starts. This poor guy has died and a few of us on here have just expressed what a shame it is. It seems reasonable to me that an online football community might comment in this way.

3 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Was he?

Aye, theres numerous pictures doing the rounds of his FB page where he shares Britain First videos and gives it the 'keep them out' chat. He was clearly staunch hun, with right wing and racist tendencies so he's clearly an arsehole and just because he's died doesn't mean we should mourn him, he was clearly a #####.

10 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I don't think the whole 'grief' thing has happened much, if at all here. A few posts saying 'tragic/poor family etc'. Not much of a grief-fest really. Quite dignified and reflective. It's when a 'celeb' dies that the public grief festival starts. This poor guy has died and a few of us on here have just expressed what a shame it is. It seems reasonable to me that an online football community might comment in this way.

Fair enough. I don't wish to seem callous. If you look at my OP it was not slagging anyone off just saying I found it a bit maudlin which I did. Then things kicked off a bit with Rubble as usual causing trouble (joke FFS). Anyway I should have known better and kept my trap shut on this one.

Sorry for the guys family but to back up Mox' point, it does appear that the dead guy had some pretty abhorrent political, religious and social beliefs.

Calling the soldiers who shot unarmed civilians on bloody Sunday "British heroes" and pish like that. 

Edited by ErsatzThistle

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Sorry for the guys family but to back up Mox' point, it does appear that the dead guy had some pretty abhorrent political, religious and social beliefs.

Calling the soldiers who shot unarmed civilians on bloody Sunday "British heroes" and pish like that. 

Regardless, the guy's died a violent death.

This is one of these times when...for some...it's maybe better to say nothing at all. 

Edited by Rossy

Hang on this is getting a bit cloudy again. If he is a raging bigot are we still supposed to mourn him just the same as before because he died on the way to a football match (making it clearly 'football related')? 

8 minutes ago, Rossy said:

This is one of these times when...for some...it's maybe better to say nothing at all. 

Quite. whether you share someone's views or not is not really the point.

A family has lost a loved one which is sad.

If you don't agree, don't post. 

Mox, I feel sorry for you, carrying that massive chip on your shoulder all the time.

9 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Completely disagree. This 'no one should go to a game and not come' shite and faux grief is nauseating, it's like a box ticking excercise in modern day Britain so that you can get likes and pats on the back in a room full of morons. The guy was a racist whenk, so balls to him and his horrific views.

2 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Quite. whether you share someone's views or not is not really the point.

A family has lost a loved one which is sad.

If you don't agree, don't post. 

Mox, I feel sorry for you, carrying that massive chip on your shoulder all the time.

Chip on my shoulder? Elaborate.

2 minutes ago, Mox said:

Completely disagree. This 'no one should go to a game and not come' shite and faux grief is nauseating, it's like a box ticking excercise in modern day Britain so that you can get likes and pats on the back in a room full of morons. The guy was a racist whenk, so balls to him and his horrific views.

Not asking for anyone to be maudling.

Hard to get past the feeling though that some people are posting based on the team they support and the views they hold.