Tory leadership contest - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tory leadership contest

38 minutes ago, Regenmann said:

They voted for IDS, wee Willie Hague and Michael Howard, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if she beats May. Folk that join political parties tend to be swivel-eyed zoomers. 

On a point of pedantry, I think Michael Howard was uncontested, so the party members didn't actually vote for him.;)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

On a point of pedantry, I think Michael Howard was uncontested, so the party members didn't actually vote for him.;)

Thank you, Mr Loon - I'd forgotten that! It would have taken a brave man / woman challenge Mr Howard. 

With Theresa May it's a case of what you see is what you get, whether or not people think that's good or not.   Given that she's been Home Secretary for six years - one of the cabinet posts where you are most likely to get involved in some sort if scandal or fiasco and get sacked - I'd imagine that any skeletons that might have been in her cupboard would have come out long before now.

For Leasdom, she's more of an unknown and that can work in her favour as she can present herself as a "breath of fresh air".  However, it also means that she'll be put under a lot more scrutinity than she's ever been before.  You're already seeing that with accusations that she's lied on her CV and some of her crazier previous comments coming to light.  It'll be interesting to see how much more of this comes out in the next couple of months.

Personally I can't see past May but stranger things have happened. 

Ruth Davidson playing a clever wee game today. Has said that whoever wins the contest will be invited to her wedding. Leadsom is anti-gay marriage. Opportunity for an interviewer to put her on the spot, but I doubt any of them will.

the only time i saw that leadsom during the campaign was on one of those tv debates.  i genuinely thought she was completely out of her depth and just thought it was a business leader that wasn't able to speak like a poltician so gave her the benefit of the doubt.  incredible she's seen a rising star.

who are these pundits!? They do it in Scotland too - Neil Bibby, Jenny Marra, Dugdale, McKay are all of a poor standard but venerated constantly.    utter wash.

20 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Lots of direct quotes in the original article.  Newspapers make a lot of stuff up and twist things even more but they tend not to do that with direct quotes.  It's too easy to caught out on that as you just have to go back to the original notes or recordings.

1 minute ago, thewolf_1980 said:

I will no doubt regret this, but Theresa May comes across as that rarest of rare breeds; quite a likeable (and voteable) Tory.

CmyOqKZWEAIISp9.jpg

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

CmyOqKZWEAIISp9.jpg

Told you I'd regret it! ?

I maintain that, of all options, she's the candidate with the least baggage and therefore the most suitable candidate. That's not saying all that much though.

Edited by thewolf_1980

10 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

I will no doubt regret this, but Theresa May comes across as that rarest of rare breeds; quite a likeable (and voteable) Tory.

She's been my MP since she was elected in 1997 and while clearly I've never voted for her I would have to say that she comes across as a very active and good constituency MP, even after becoming Home Secretary.  

I don't agree with her politics but personally she comes across as being pretty decent.  She's also a lot taller than she appears on TV.

i suppose it means that if she becomes PM we'll get a whole range of nut job candidates on the ballot paper next time rather than just UKIP.

13 hours ago, biffer said:

Ruth Davidson playing a clever wee game today. Has said that whoever wins the contest will be invited to her wedding. Leadsom is anti-gay marriage. Opportunity for an interviewer to put her on the spot, but I doubt any of them will.

She's "St Ruth - Savior of the Union" and "the woman 'the natz' are frightened of" (aye right), nae chance will she be held to account by her fawning wee pals at the Scotsman or the Herald.

Her speeches and statements in the last fortnight about Brexit and how it will affect Scotland have been confusing and contradictory, even Kezia Dugdale was able to score some hits on Davidson in Holyrood, she's been that bad !

I actually think Davidson will chuck her current job in 2019/20 and get herself selected to contest a safe Westminster seat in England. 

7 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

Told you I'd regret it! ?

I maintain that, of all options, she's the candidate with the least baggage and therefore the most suitable candidate. That's not saying all that much though.

Sounds like you have got a vote?

Compared to her opponent May could be viewed as a left wing reactionary.This is a section of Leadsmom's speech from four years ago

"I could envisage a situation where you had no regulation whatsoever, no minimum wage, no maternity or paternity rights, no unfair dismissal rights, and no pension rights - absolutely no regulation whatsoever for the very smallest companies that are trying to get off the ground."

Her views on Gay Marriage together with her strong christian convictions makes her an ideal member of the Tea Party.

Edited by EddardStark

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Sounds like you have got a vote?

Eh, no. I'm expressing an opinion, like a few others on this thread.

Rangers fan = Tory? Nice stereotyping...

Edited by thewolf_1980

3 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

Eh, no. I'm expressing an opinion, like a few others on this thread.

Rangers fan = Tory? Nice stereotyping...

:lol:

I've yet to meet a Tory who is prepared to admit it.;)

Edited by Orraloon

On 8 July 2016 at 6:55 AM, Regenmann said:

They voted for IDS, wee Willie Hague and Michael Howard, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if she beats May. Folk that join political parties tend to be swivel-eyed zoomers. 

? I'm in a political party and draw the line at being called a swivel eyed zoomer, stereotype away why don't you. 

That said , I seen half a dozen Tory  party members being interviewed on BBC the other night. It couldnt have been more stage managed if they had burst into a chorus of Jersualem. One young guy, an older lady , a black guy etc , all hand picked to represent a politically correct party. They were near wetting themselves with excitement. People who join political parties generally tend to be  passionate about it and in the case of the Conservatives there will be quite a number of far right that will vote for Leadsom. I would not write her off either. 

16 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

She's "St Ruth - Savior of the Union" and "the woman 'the natz' are frightened of" (aye right), nae chance will she be held to account by her fawning wee pals at the Scotsman or the Herald.

Her speeches and statements in the last fortnight about Brexit and how it will affect Scotland have been confusing and contradictory, even Kezia Dugdale was able to score some hits on Davidson in Holyrood, she's been that bad !

I actually think Davidson will chuck her current job in 2019/20 and get herself selected to contest a safe Westminster seat in England. 

An opportunity to put Leadsom on the spot you dullard.

16 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

? I'm in a political party and draw the line at being called a swivel eyed zoomer, stereotype away why don't you. 

That said , I seen half a dozen Tory  party members being interviewed on BBC the other night. It couldnt have been more stage managed if they had burst into a chorus of Jersualem. One young guy, an older lady , a black guy etc , all hand picked to represent a politically correct party. They were near wetting themselves with excitement. People who join political parties generally tend to be  passionate about it and in the case of the Conservatives there will be quite a number of far right that will vote for Leadsom. I would not write her off either. 

I did say 'tend' :wink2: .