EU Referendum - Page 95 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

7 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

She sounds a complete bunny boiler, and should be sacked for being May's 'style guru' in itself.

Though it is the Daily Mail so I will reserve judgement , its not like they are known for reporting just the basic facts. 

12 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

She sounds a complete bunny boiler, and should be sacked for being May's 'style guru' in itself.

Though it is the Daily Mail so I will reserve judgement , its not like they are known for reporting just the basic facts. 

Or facts. 

3 hours ago, adamntg said:

Or facts. 

My generosity will be the death of me ? And it wil be the death of me as I have a husband who reads the blood thing every day, my blood pressure is through the roof at times. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I was thinking about this today, and made me think how easy it would have been in many diverse ways for EU to be just a little bit more flexible, and could have avoided appetite for Brexit..

For example, imagine if the good old British blue passport had been kept (or reinstated) but just with tiny letters "EU (UK)" or "UK (EU)" on it. Everyone would know UK was in EU but it would avoid the "humiliation" that some people felt. Or secondly, allow national passports to circulated simultaneously with EU ones, but you don't get through EU passport control, you have to queue through "other passports" with your proud non-humiliating British blue passport. 

I know it may be a trivial thing, to most, but there must be a hundred other ways the EU could have acted a little less like an identity-crushing proto-super-state, and kept a lot more of the soft eurosceptics on board.    Maybe they should have had a "Vow"!

41 minutes ago, exile said:

I was thinking about this today, and made me think how easy it would have been in many diverse ways for EU to be just a little bit more flexible, and could have avoided appetite for Brexit..

For example, imagine if the good old British blue passport had been kept (or reinstated) but just with tiny letters "EU (UK)" or "UK (EU)" on it. Everyone would know UK was in EU but it would avoid the "humiliation" that some people felt. Or secondly, allow national passports to circulated simultaneously with EU ones, but you don't get through EU passport control, you have to queue through "other passports" with your proud non-humiliating British blue passport. 

I know it may be a trivial thing, to most, but there must be a hundred other ways the EU could have acted a little less like an identity-crushing proto-super-state, and kept a lot more of the soft eurosceptics on board.    Maybe they should have had a "Vow"!

It probably would have been a reasonable and fairly easy concession to make, was it ever requested ? Though I doubt 'most Brits' are unhappy about a burgundy passport as this Tory MP suggests. Its no like its pink like our away strip......

Despite coming from a generation that were force fed God Save the Queen every Monday morning at school assembly, and just accepted it without question, I find it difficult to understand this whole Britishness thing. Though I appreciate it does seem to matter to others. 

The passport control queue on the Benidorm flights would be interesting. Donkeys getting chucked at the burgundy queue for having the audacity to not feel British enough ?

On 03/03/2017 at 6:13 PM, TDYER63 said:

Treacherous wee hoor . Hope she stays south of the border post Independence. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

It probably would have been a reasonable and fairly easy concession to make, was it ever requested ?

Who knows? Didn't Heath take Britain into the EEC without a referendum?

Perhaps people just considered it an inevitable consequence of Europeanisation. With the benefit of hindsight (!) I think a lot of things and the way 'Europe' did things could have been done differently.

It's as if Britain always had an arms-length relation to Europe (understandably, in some senses) but just expected never to get what it wanted out of it, and so put up with it, as a sort of eternal compromise.

But it seems there was a lack of vision on both sides - a lack of vision for how a more flexible EU could accommodate its awkward fringe countries, and a lack of initiative on the British for not pushing for that from this side either.  Cameron's pathetic tour of europe was far too little too late.

I just wonder, though, what if things over Gibraltar and Ireland were to get so thorny that UK might ever attempt a face saving compromise of staying in,,, to preserve the UK as we know it, in return for some concessions from the EU. But as with May's fights with Scotland, there is no expectation for anything other than polarisation and hardening of arguments. 

As I type I see Michael Howard has implied that May would be ready to go to war over Gibraltar... 

Edited by exile

43 minutes ago, exile said:

As I type I see Michael Howard has implied that May would be ready to go to war over Gibraltar... 

Perfect. Brexiteers get something quite nostalgic to properly jizz over. The arms economy gets a boost. Aircraft carriers might get a plane. The country would unite against the ghastly scot nationalists. And everyone would get a kick out of the blitz bulldog spirit.

3 hours ago, exile said:

Who knows? Didn't Heath take Britain into the EEC without a referendum?

Perhaps people just considered it an inevitable consequence of Europeanisation. With the benefit of hindsight (!) I think a lot of things and the way 'Europe' did things could have been done differently.

It's as if Britain always had an arms-length relation to Europe (understandably, in some senses) but just expected never to get what it wanted out of it, and so put up with it, as a sort of eternal compromise.

But it seems there was a lack of vision on both sides - a lack of vision for how a more flexible EU could accommodate its awkward fringe countries, and a lack of initiative on the British for not pushing for that from this side either.  Cameron's pathetic tour of europe was far too little too late.

I just wonder, though, what if things over Gibraltar and Ireland were to get so thorny that UK might ever attempt a face saving compromise of staying in,,, to preserve the UK as we know it, in return for some concessions from the EU. But as with May's fights with Scotland, there is no expectation for anything other than polarisation and hardening of arguments. 

Who knows. I'm old , but not old enough to remember much of that. All I cared about was how much of the penny sweetie tray I could afford with the money I got from the local priest for raking the grass in the chapel grounds. 

This whole thing could turn pretty nasty quite quickly. I am trying not to over react but we are hardly a few days since triggering Article 50 and war ( however unlikely it is to happen) is being mentioned. 

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Who knows. I'm old , but not old enough to remember much of that. All I cared about was how much of the penny sweetie tray I could afford with the money I got from the local priest for raking the grass in the chapel grounds. 

This whole thing could turn pretty nasty quite quickly. I am trying not to over react but we are hardly a few days since triggering Article 50 and war ( however unlikely it is to happen) is being mentioned. 

Ha! I remember there was a 50p with 9 hands on it, symbolising friendship across Europe, it must have been in circulation for many years. At the time it was I think seen as the 'new' 50p but the Britannia version back with a vengeance.

The whole Brexit thing going a bit like a dare to see how much you're willing to take, before objecting to the Tory version of Brexit (I'm thinking of Kezia here). Out of EU? No problem, we can live with that..... Out of single market? erm... well, we'll find a way...  Hard Brexit with knobs on? well at least a united UK is not so divisive... Threat to Gibraltar? Nothing to do with us...   War???

10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Howard's comments are really a brain dead thing to say going into crucial negotiations with countries that will include Spain. It is just poisoning the atmosphere going in making it less likely that EU nations will be willing to play ball.

Howard's a fud who should keep in mind his own origins before commenting on anything.

50 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I think the burgundy passport looks smarter myself.

The only thing I think of when I see the blue passport is spy movies. Probably cos the only people who could afford to travel abroad then were spies. 

I got my first passport in 1984 and it was an old blue one - I always thought they were black rather than blue, but that's another thing.  

When that expired in 1994, I got a maroon EU passport, so I guess they changed over some point inbetween.

2 hours ago, aaid said:

I got my first passport in 1984 and it was an old blue one - I always thought they were black rather than blue, but that's another thing.  

When that expired in 1994, I got a maroon EU passport, so I guess they changed over some point inbetween.

my 1st PP in 83 was beige paper one - 1 year temporary - could rock up at local post office, and get it there and there

10 year one in 89 was the maroon one 

It's all getting a bit surreal isnt it ?

£500 million for blue passports ?

Threatening war with Spain ?

What depresses me is that i realise there are millions agreeing with this and cheering it on