Which new boy is a mainstay? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Which new boy is a mainstay?

Shaun

As the title says, out of the 6 debutants to get game time against Czech Republic and Denmark are likely to be mainstays in Strachan's squads?

For me, John McGinn and Keiran Tierney deserve to be.

Didn't really see much of Oliver Burke, Tony Watt or Paul Caddis to comment on if they deserve to be mainstays, they probably need more match time in our next friendlies to stake a claim.

Kenny McLean is also a tough one for me to comment on despite playing a fair portion of Thursdays match.

What do you guys think?

Far too early to call any of the new players mainstays already !

However I'd like to see Kieran Tierney, Tony Watt and John McGinn given another go.

Got to own up, I was wondering just what the hell Strachan was playing at calling up McGinn but he had a great debut and deserves another chance. Big question is where will he be playing his club football next season ?

Want to see Liam Cooper and Scott Bain tried out at some point too.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

None of them, but I'd certainly want to see a bit more of Tony Watt and maybe Phillips.

Tierney looks like he needs to fill out a bit and McGinn did ok but looks no better than a trier. Still no options at centre back disappointingly and the 2nd half last night was as bad as anything I've seen for a while.

Strachan was justified in picking Tierney over Shinnie. Cracking game and showed no fear. 

McGinn was another standout. He was very unlucky with the dink over the top for Maloney. 

Griffiths didn't do enough. 

Watt needs to get fit. 

McLean did well. But don't think he is consistent enough. 

Burke looked a big strong boy but need to see more of him. 

I thought we'd get bbeat in both games if I'm honest. So it is a very pleasant surprise and the 2 squads worked... somehow. 

4 minutes ago, Debian said:

Strachan was justified in picking Tierney over Shinnie. Cracking game and showed no fear. 

McGinn was another standout. He was very unlucky with the dink over the top for Maloney. 

Griffiths didn't do enough. 

Watt needs to get fit. 

McLean did well. But don't think he is consistent enough. 

Burke looked a big strong boy but need to see more of him. 

I thought we'd get bbeat in both games if I'm honest. So it is a very pleasant surprise and the 2 squads worked... somehow. 

Prepare yourself for the coming Sheepie onslaught :lol:

I think McGinn had a good game in parts was controlling the game some good vital tackles only 21 and with fletch, brown and Morrison all on or near the wrong side of 30 I think its important to be blooding these players in

Tierney did well especially for 18 years old shame we have some many decent lb's

Watt - someone needs to get into his head or he'll waste his talents im not saying going to be world class but if he screwed his head on and trained right who knows how much better he could be. Do the SFA employee sport physiologists (not sure if spelt right) to work with these guys that don't seem to be at the mental stage as having the right mental strength is massively important. The days when you could turn up with some natural ability and get by a lot gone you need the physical and mental skills as well know as well as the right behaviour and team ethic

Burke could be a dark horse for e in the years to come something says to me could turn out to be good for us - again sadly in an area where we have quite a few players

Phillips I think could also be good turning out decent performances in the championship on a regular basis for a while now

McGinn and McLean put in some good shifts, but do not think either are at a level for keeping a regular place in the team (McGinn will be one for the future though, and think will be bedded in over the next campaign to take over from Brown for the next Euros).

Tierney showed lots of promise, but felt he was just a yard or two off the pace from being the finished article. He has the tricks, but also there was times he would go on a darting run, but just did not have the pace to beat his final man.

Burke.... felt he was on maybe 5 or 10 minutes to late to really get into the game, but his cross along the goal line in the closing seconds showed that there is a player there.

Think all 3 of these players will be back in the U19 and U21 squads come the qualifiers.

Bridcutt did not look all that special, or any better than what we already have when everyone is fully fit.

Phillips is worth another look at for sure, as there was some good connections between him, Snoddy and McCormack in Prague.

Watt also looked lively when he came on in Prague and Caddis was on far to late to show anything.

Think we will see a number of these players again in June (plus a few more) but come the qualifiers in September, think Phillips and (maybe) Watt are probably the only ones we will see on a regular basis, with McGinn, Tierney and McLean getting a call up here and there.

Keen to see watt will be like at his club till end of season now. Could definitely see someone coming in for McGinn. Tierney still growing clearly and will fill out over the next couple of years and just need to keep playing.Burke just needs games at his club now and physique is pretty much there.

If just one or two final third players could just get a big move and play regularly for one of the top half clubs in England, Germany, Spain or Italy etc we are so close to being a big threat. 

I doubt if any of the new guys will feature much at the beginning of the qualifiers.

Tierney and McGinn did fine under pretty benign circumstances, but I wouldn't have either of them as starters yet.

Watt should have got game time on Tuesday as the game passed Griffiths by yet again. It's going to become worrying if Scotland's top goalscorer can't make the step up to international football.

Didn't really see enough of McLean, Caddis and Burke to pass judgement, and frankly, nobody knows yet if Oliver Burke is going to crack it as a professional football never mind an internationalist.

You can tell by some of the over the top posts on here that there's almost a desperation for one of these youngsters to be a genius and to stroll right into international football. That isn't going to happen I'm afraid, although there is potential.

If only we had a stand out centre-half, right-back and goalscorer.

The problem is if we stick to the more experienced players we have been using we won't qualify and I don't think that is up for discussion. Just have to wait and see how any of them progress at their current clubs or whatever clubs they are at after the summer. So we won't qualify if we don't make changes and we probably won't if we do, by that reckoning we have to introduce new players. France and Italy away though, talk about a hiding to nothing. 

44 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

The problem is if we stick to the more experienced players we have been using we won't qualify and I don't think that is up for discussion. Just have to wait and see how any of them progress at their current clubs or whatever clubs they are at after the summer. So we won't qualify if we don't make changes and we probably won't if we do, by that reckoning we have to introduce new players. France and Italy away though, talk about a hiding to nothing. 

Yes what are we gaining by playing France and Italy away!? At best we will narrowly lose as we sometimes do to the big sides. At worst we will get a hiding. We also wont experiment and will probably call up more has-beens that we did in this set of friendlies, seems bizarre tbh.

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Yes what are we gaining by playing France and Italy away!? At best we will narrowly lose as we sometimes do to the big sides. At worst we will get a hiding. We also wont experiment and will probably call up more has-beens that we did in this set of friendlies, seems bizarre tbh.

Money.