David Bowie Deid - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

David Bowie Deid

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can also admit to shedding a tear as I drove down the M8 this morning listening to radio stations playing a lot of his classics in tribute. Like my beloved Jarvis in my avatar, he made "Misshapes, Mistakes, Misfits" cool.

I'm gutted he pulled out of TITP a few years ago and we were stuck with The Darkness instead...

Impressive how those in the know kept it quiet for so long. That's a rare thing these days.

Indeed. Heard the theatre director of Lazarus on C4 News there, Bowie had told him of his illness and asked him to swear to secrecy, I imagine many others had to do the same.

Just realised Mick Ronson also died of liver cancer, albeit at a much younger age...

Posting this great mini movie on behalf of silverbear as it won't let him paste. :ok:

It better work for me.

A few years before that film was made I'd had a remarkably similar experience - taking a girl to see a 'rock star' in a club and him pulling her.

Bloody John Otway - ######! Shorpe!

Edited by DonnyTJS

Let''s Dance is the dividing line.

I read this thread when it was 3 pages and in reverse and was giggling the whole way until page one when I thought it might actually be serious. I was convinced it was a piss take and every one was just joining in and going along and no way was I going to be the mug who actually went to the BBC to look...

He said over the years that there had been that many pronouncions of Bowie that he had forgot the way he had intended it to be pronounced

He said as it was a Scottish surname it was supposed to be pronounced like "Joey" but nobody in Scotland pronounced it like that

I was a generation behind so was never a big fan but liked a lot of his stuff and recognise the impact and talent he had

Sad that he is no longer with us

You'd think he was trying to tell us something...

Yup. It becomes a powerful piece of work.

A number of people have said that he transformed his death into a work of art. They're right. Bowie rated the performance artist who had himself nailed to a VW - "Nail me to my car and I'll tell you who you are ...".

I was fortunate enough to see the "David Bowie Is" exhibition when it was in Berlin a couple of years back. It seems to be touring the globe, hopefully one day it'll make it to Scotland. But if you're in Holland over the next couple of months I'd thoroughly recommend paying it a visit...

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/t/touring-exhibition-david-bowie-is/

Hopefully an extended tour by the time the V&A opens in Dundee.

Initially I was attracted to his visionary theatre telling us to ignore convention and be brave with our art. Then the music followed and fortunate to have seen him three times in concert.

With the exception of his first four albums the one I would rate is the less commercial concept album Outsider. This one from the soundtrack of David Lynch's Lost Highway.

He said over the years that there had been that many pronouncions of Bowie that he had forgot the way he had intended it to be pronounced

He said as it was a Scottish surname it was supposed to be pronounced like "Joey" but nobody in Scotland pronounced it like that

I'd always called him Bowie as rhymes with Joey, but Scots folk I know with the name I call Bowie as in bow wow.

Yup. It becomes a powerful piece of work.

A number of people have said that he transformed his death into a work of art. They're right.

The theatre director working with him on Lazarus said the only other person he could compare him to was Dennis Potter. Knowing that his time was short but working like a maniac to keep creating right up to the end.

Edited by Toepoke