David Bowie Deid - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

David Bowie Deid

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think that was it.

Its unclear what John and Bowies relationship/friendship was like, though "Fame" was one of Johns last recording sessions before his house-husband phase.... there is the long standing rumor that Bowie was rejected Apple Records, but the actual story is something along the lines of it was a tax dodge on the Beatles part, and the original concept of people sending their demo tapes in for the Beatles to listen to got less and less as weeks went on and on (when 100's of Demo tapes were arriving in the post every day.... with Bowie demo's just getting lost amoungst this and him getting the standard "thanks for your tape, but sorry...." letter.

It featured Christian Bale and Ewan McGregor and wisnae very good.

I suppose he and Lennon must have got on reasonably well to have recorded a song together.

:lol:

I swither on favourite albums. From The Man Who Sold The World to Scary Monsters there's not a dud (well, maybe Pinups) and you could probably include the ones straight before and after that streak. Young Americans and Station to Station are underrated in my view - albums that coincide with his revolutionary cocaine and milk diet.

I can't imagine being in Wanderer's position and coming to Bowie through the Petshop Boy's desecration of 'Hallo Space Boy'. The album version is waaay better:

Edit: Incidentally, the one duff track on Young Americans is a terrible version of 'Across the Universe' which I guess ended up there because of Lennon's involvement.

It could be worse, one of my earliest memories of Bowie was of him and Jagger in the Dancing In The Streets video - although when I think of that video now I can't help but remember the Little and Large piss-take version! :lol:

He was practically a Yorkshireman

And the Spiders were from Hull.

I think (could be wrong) that Bowie wrote this with Lou Reed in mind,

Time takes a cigarette !!

Just playing the album and on the back of the sleeve he's written "Some V.U., White Light returned with thanks" next to its track listing. 'Panic in Detroit' was written about Iggy.

Or Nine Inch Nails

The Carpenters ...

I'll be a phuqqing mess when Springsteen goes.

The Boss is in fantastic nick for his age, you should be fine for a while yet (I hope).

Or Nine Inch Nails

:lol:

Joking aside, Bowie did a fantastic version of I'm Afraid of Americans with Trent Reznor.

I was fortunate enough to see the "David Bowie Is" exhibition when it was in Berlin a couple of years back. It seems to be touring the globe, hopefully one day it'll make it to Scotland. But if you're in Holland over the next couple of months I'd thoroughly recommend paying it a visit...

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/t/touring-exhibition-david-bowie-is/

Told yeez!!

Actually a big fan, saw him about 6 times over the years, first time at Wembley Stadium in 87 supported by Big Country.

Glad he released another album last week as "The Next Day" is as bad as "Earthling" in my opinion.

I know I usually have "banter" with you Clark, but the Pet Shop Boys/Bowie mix of "Hallo Spaceboy"....get a grip, that was atrocious.

Fav Bowie tracks ever have to be "Slip Away" and "Time"....oh, and "Sons Of The Silent Age"....and "Loving The Alien"...etc, etc....

Bowie = Legend....end of.

And the Spiders were from Hull.

Just playing the album and on the back of the sleeve he's written "Some V.U., White Light returned with thanks" next to its track listing. 'Panic in Detroit' was written about Iggy.

The Carpenters ...

Actually - they weren't. That was the Rats. :wave:

I knew Mick Ronson well & Mick Woodmansey "Woody" to a lesser degree.

They played the Duke of Cumberland at North Ferriby frequently as well as pubs & clubs locally.

Mick used to work for the Parks Dept in Hull.

Woody replaced John Cambridge who joined the Mandrakes - Robert Palmer's band.

They changed their name to Treacle but changed it back as they weren't getting any bookings.

I'll tell you tomorrow who suggested it. :wink2:

They only became the Spiders after they hooked up with Bowie.

Actually - they weren't. That was the Rats. :wave:

I knew Mick Ronson well & Mick Woodmansey "Woody" to a lesser degree.

They played the Duke of Cumberland at North Ferriby frequently as well as pubs & clubs locally.

Mick used to work for the Parks Dept in Hull.

Woody replaced John Cambridge who joined the Mandrakes - Robert Palmer's band.

They changed their name to Treacle but changed it back as they weren't getting any bookings.

I'll tell you tomorrow who suggested it. :wink2:

:) Looking forward to that ...

My personal Bowie retrospective has been interrupted by a visit from me sister but back on course now - just starting Side 2 of Diamond Dogs (how crap is 'Rock n Roll With Me'?).

Edited by DonnyTJS

I know I usually have "banter" with you Clark, but the Pet Shop Boys/Bowie mix of "Hallo Spaceboy"....get a grip, that was atrocious.

And where exactly did I say I liked the song? Just said it was the first Bowie song that I took notice of as I was not sure who he was except for the villain in one of my favourite movies as a kid.....

Wasn't a fan as such because for someone with such a distinctive voice I actually thought he wasn't much of a 'singer'. But in terms of creativity, musicality and as a lyrcist he was right up there with the best. I can remember clearly the first time I heard Life on Mars I thought fukk, he's singing about cops bashing people and dancing cavemen and that's what got me into his lyrics.

As far as I'm concerned he got his creative influence from the time he spent living in Edinburgh :cheers3: