David Bowie Deid - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

David Bowie Deid

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd always called him Bowie as rhymes with Joey, but Scots folk I know with the name I call Bowie as in bow

I always used the Scottish pronunciation as I thought the intention was for his son's name (Zowie, now Duncan) to rhyme with his surname - unless of course that was pronounced 'Zoey'... :unsure:

I always used the Scottish pronunciation as I thought the intention was for his son's name (Zowie, now Duncan) to rhyme with his surname - unless of course that was pronounced 'Zoey'... :unsure:

I heard a recording yesterday (think it was the Beeb sessions) where the child was indeed referred to as Zoey and I'm pretty sire it was by David himself!

I was always under the impression The name Bowie comes from the Gaelic , meaning Blonde or fair haired. and is pronounced bow( as in bow and arrow, ) ie

I usually say Bow( as in dog bark tho) ie.

Bowie is an Irish and Scottish surname. The name is pronounced /ˈb/ boo-ee, /ˈb.i/ bo-ee, or /ˈb.i/ bow-ee

it is the Gaelic for yellow or fair haired.

He named himself after the American knife, did he not? And that is usually pronounced 'Boo-y' in the Land of the Free. He seems to have used 'Boe (as in 'toe') -y'. I'm pretty sure I used 'Bow (as in English pronunciation of 'cow') -y' as a callow teen, but shifted at some point to 'Boe'. Whatever, I blame The Monkees. All other things being equal, I somehow doubt that he'd have become such a cultural colossus had he stuck with 'Jones', though why that should be, I don't know. On the other hand, Duncan Jones probably wouldn't have become a widely admired and rarely mocked film director had he kept 'Zowie'. Names eh? - 'Heuch Moray' - how the hell is that pronounced?

Ta. For the 'ch' do you give it the full, pavement-oyster value as in 'loch' or a dignified palato-alveolar fricative as in 'cheese'?

Edit: Fact is, someone has told me before but I've forgotten - not that I'm ever likely to be called upon to use it.

Edited by DonnyTJS

I've skipped the early stuff and gone straight to Low.

My guide in Warsaw from the Poland game was a bit of a music buff, and I mentioned Warszawa from the Low album (as I was curious if the chanting part of the song had some meaning in Poland), and he told me the story behind it is Bowie thought Warsaw was this big grand bohemian city full of young artists, yet showed up to be very disappointed with what he had found and spent less than 24 in the city before jumping back on a plane.

Edited by wanderer

My guide in Warsaw from the Poland game was a bit of a music buff, and I mentioned Warszawa from the Low album (as I was curious if the chanting part of the song had some meaning in Poland), and he told me the story behind it is Bowie thought Warsaw was this big grand bohemian city full of young artists, yet showed up to be very disappointed with what he had found and spent less than 24 in the city before jumping back on a plane.

I think that track was the inspiration for Joy Division's original name.

He named himself after the American knife, did he not? And that is usually pronounced 'Boo-y' in the Land of the Free. He seems to have used 'Boe (as in 'toe') -y'. I'm pretty sure I used 'Bow (as in English pronunciation of 'cow') -y' as a callow teen, but shifted at some point to 'Boe'. Whatever, I blame The Monkees. All other things being equal, I somehow doubt that he'd have become such a cultural colossus had he stuck with 'Jones', though why that should be, I don't know. On the other hand, Duncan Jones probably wouldn't have become a widely admired and rarely mocked film director had he kept 'Zowie'. Names eh? - 'Heuch Moray' - how the hell is that pronounced?

Never thought you'd struggle with Scottish pronunciation. ;)

Hyooch Mawray

I bow to you :ok: bow as in how I say Bowie.

Ta. For the 'ch' do you give it the full, pavement-oyster value as in 'loch' or a dignified palato-alveolar fricative as in 'cheese'?

Edit: Fact is, someone has told me before but I've forgotten - not that I'm ever likely to be called upon to use it.

:-)) Aye just spit it oot but not while dancin'.

I thought Moray was pronounced the same as 'Murray' - every day is a school day - if our paths should ever cross I now know the correct way to address Ms Heuch.

You're not alone. :blink: First time meeting folks some call me Murray - thereafter it's an ongoing struggle. It's a tad too manly for me.

Never thought you'd struggle with Scottish pronunciation. ;)

I bow to you :ok: bow as in how I say Bowie.

:-)) Aye just spit it oot but not while dancin'.

You're not alone. :blink: First time meeting folks some call me Murray - thereafter it's an ongoing struggle. It's a tad too manly for me.

The clarification from Flora was most welcome.

I think that track was the inspiration for Joy Division's original name.

He said over the years that there had been that many pronouncions of Bowie that he had forgot the way he had intended it to be pronounced

He said as it was a Scottish surname it was supposed to be pronounced like "Joey" but nobody in Scotland pronounced it like that

Yup, 2:40 in with a scarily young Paxman: Bowie to rhyme with Joey it is...