David Bowie Deid - Page 9 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

David Bowie Deid

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id say that was an achievement for any artist

Pick any others and try and name 10 songs

Bowie was without doubt an icon and a changer of attitudes

His influence reaches far and wide across the musical divide - so many bands especially in the 70s and 80s would probably be unheard of if it wasnt for Bowie

I was born in 1967 so was too young to experience Bowie mania and was never a big fan but he has always been there throughout my lifetime.

I guess it brings our own mortality to the forefront which is why many people including me feel a bit sad

Not really saying its a bad thing but more the need to be seen to be saying RIP to a dead celeb.

Knowing those on my froends list i doubt tbey are all Bowie fans.

:blink: Er, yeah.

No need to maintain the secrecy once he's been burnt.

"Ashes to ashes / Funk to Funky"

Suppose will start the myths and conspiracies.... like Yoko keeps Johns in a urn under her bed..... George was cremated to avoid some death tax....Lynyrd Skynyrd were cremated wearing Neil Young "Tonight's the night" t-shirts etc

Edited by wanderer

Funerals - unless you're religious I don't see the point.

Funerals don't need to be religious. I was at one last week and not one mention of any religious nonsense. Just a lot of folk trying to help the nearest and dearest through a difficult time by sharing loads of happy memories.

They are cathartic. I couldn't give two hoots about the religious aspect, but getting friends and family together is enormously beneficial IMO. Just the ability to talk and have that release of emotions is very important.

Personally I see the wake just as, if not more important than the funeral.

J

Funerals don't need to be religious. I was at one last week and not one mention of any religious nonsense. Just a lot of folk trying to help the nearest and dearest through a difficult time by sharing loads of happy memories.

I've been to a humanist funeral - wasn't my cup of tea. (judt my opinion though).

Agree. I posted just before Christmas my what my wishes are for disposing of my corpse after death.

I won't be having a funeral for myself and in fact I choose not to go to funerals at all. I prefer to remember someone as they were and not indulge in any weepy stuff.

Sometimes I do 'enjoy' a good old-fashioned CoS or RC funeral (just depends on the MC).

As far as I know I've never been to a RC one. Is it them that have wakes? I don't think I've ever been to a wake.

I don't think this was a humanist funeral. I've been to a couple of humanist weddings and they made sure everybody knew it was "humanist". I guess that was to avoid offending auld dearies and religious nuts? The funeral certainly wasn't advertised as "humanist". Just a woman, who I didn't know, doing the compare bit and some folk getting up to do a wee spiel, interspersed with a few Johnny Cash songs. As far as funerals go, it was pretty good.

As far as I know I've never been to a RC one. Is it them that have wakes? I don't think I've ever been to a wake.

I don't think this was a humanist funeral. I've been to a couple of humanist weddings and they made sure everybody knew it was "humanist". I guess that was to avoid offending auld dearies and religious nuts? The funeral certainly wasn't advertised as "humanist". Just a woman, who I didn't know, doing the compare bit and some folk getting up to do a wee spiel, interspersed with a few Johnny Cash songs. As far as funerals go, it was pretty good.

Aye, I could go for something like that myself (although a swift box and dispatch is still my preferred exit).