Islam Feruz - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Islam Feruz

iainmac1

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this - 'a good lead by Christmas'.

Assuming a 'good lead' is 6 or more points, and that there are 14 games until Christmas, do you think Rangers will lose 4 or 5 of those 14 games while Hibs would win every game? Hibs play Rangers twice more before the end of the year and obviously you'll back your own team. Fair play, you're entitled to your opinion, you're a Hibs man, but I just can't see how any fair minded fan could come out with that rationale after the start of the season so far.

Apologies for going off topic.

I sincerely hope that Islam Feruz goes on to be a success, he's a real waste of potential otherwise. This is going to be his only stint of first team football in his career, coming up for 20 years old now he's a bit behind. Playing in the Championship won't get him into the Scotland so we're unlikely to ever see him in a dark blue top until he's 21/22 years old, even if everything does go well for him.

Waye Rooney had already scored 12 international goals by the time he was 21. Looking back to when Feruz was a kid and making a pretty harsh comparison to the likes of Rooney, it's really disappointing that he's done nothing in the rest of his teenage years. (the curse of being a young Scottish talent)

It's not just Feruz though even if he has been one of the most hyped. Take a look at the u21 team that got hammered 6-0 a couple of years back. Five of the English youngsters were playing for their full team against Switzerland last night, only one of ours was in the squad for the recent double headers.

England: Butland, Stones, Robinson, Chalobah (Barkley, 44), Wisdom © (Thorpe, 73), Keane, Sterling (Ameobi, 66), Hughes (Dier, 73) Wickham (Kane, 58) Shelvey (Carroll, 58), Redmond (Lingard, 66)

Unused subs: Kane, Johnstone, Garbutt, Long, Bond, Berahino

Scotland: Archer, Jack (Duffie, 46), McKay, Robertson, McHattie, Fyvie, McGeouch, Bannigan (Macleod, 79), Feruz (May, 62) Armstrong (Smith, 62), Watt (Holt, 73)

It's not just Feruz though even if he has been one of the most hyped. Take a look at the u21 team that got hammered 6-0 a couple of years back. Five of the English youngsters were playing for their full team against Switzerland last night, only one of ours was in the squad for the recent double headers.

England: Butland, Stones, Robinson, Chalobah (Barkley, 44), Wisdom © (Thorpe, 73), Keane, Sterling (Ameobi, 66), Hughes (Dier, 73) Wickham (Kane, 58) Shelvey (Carroll, 58), Redmond (Lingard, 66)

Unused subs: Kane, Johnstone, Garbutt, Long, Bond, Berahino

Scotland: Archer, Jack (Duffie, 46), McKay, Robertson, McHattie, Fyvie, McGeouch, Bannigan (Macleod, 79), Feruz (May, 62) Armstrong (Smith, 62), Watt (Holt, 73)

the clue might be in the result

Regardless of the reault I'd say it was a good bet those players in the Sxcotland side were the best youngsters available at that time so why have so many sunk without trace or not continued to develop?

Could ask the same of the 1989 U16 World Cup team and 2006 U19 Euro Championship side who both got to the final.

From '89, only Paul Dickov (headless chicken), Brian O'Neil (donkey) and Andy McLaren earned full caps. From 2006, Snodgrass, Dorrans and Wallace earned a few caps whilst Reynolds has been in recent squads and there was the one-cap "wonder" picked by Craig Levein - Gary Kenneth!!

EDIT - Steven Fletcher was at that tournament too!!

Edited by John_B81

Could ask the same of the 1989 U16 World Cup team and 2006 U19 Euro Championship side who both got to the final.

From '89, only Paul Dickov (headless chicken), Brian O'Neil (donkey) and Andy McLaren earned full caps. From 2006, Snodgrass, Dorrans and Wallace earned a few caps whilst Reynolds has been in recent squads and there was the one-cap "wonder" picked by Craig Levein - Gary Kenneth!!

And we have had so many others touted as the real deal who sunk without trace or without going on to fulfill their supposed potential such as Robbie Foy, Michael Stewart and Danny Wilson in recent years. I am hoping Ryan Gauld and Jack Harper don't head the same way.

So we have an admission he has (or had if you believe him) an attitude problem so can we presume that attitude did see him turn down a Scotland call-up?

As for Hertsscot's post above that is very pertinent. Why is Scotland's conversion rate from junior levels nowhere compared to England in this instance?

I'm not suggesting it's the only reason but going on most of our recent managers' squad selections, the fact that only three or four of the bunch from that game have a realistic Celtic and/or Premiership connection will rule them out of being picked.

From 2006, Snodgrass, Dorrans and Wallace earned a few caps whilst Reynolds has been in recent squads and there was the one-cap "wonder" picked by Craig Levein - Gary Kenneth!!

EDIT - Steven Fletcher was at that tournament too!!

I'd say that the return from the 2006 team is pretty good. Snodgrass, Fletcher and Wallace would have been regular squad members for the last 4-5 years and would have had had a lot more caps than they currently do in normal circumstances. Dorrans has struggled for form a bit due to external issues and I'm sure he would also have featured more often but for that.

If you get 2 or 3 players from an age group team going on to become regular full internationals then you are doing well. That group overdelivered.

The Spanish squad that beat us in the final only had two players that went on to play regularly for Spain, mind you, they were Gerald Pique and Juan Mata.

aaid, on 10 Sept 2015 - 2:40 PM, said:

The Spanish squad that beat us in the final only had two players that went on to play regularly for Spain, mind you, they were Gerald Pique and Juan Mata.

Think they also had Diego Capel who, while not being good enough for Spain, is still a fine footballer.

Think they also had Diego Capel who, while not being good enough for Spain, is still a fine footballer.

Just looking now and they also had Mario Saurez, Javi Garcia and Alberto Bueno - who're all excellent players, although perhaps not Spain standard

Just looking now and they also had Mario Saurez, Javi Garcia and Alberto Bueno - who're all excellent players, although perhaps not Spain standard

And Spain went on to be World and European champions, they are better than we are.

My point was its a bit ridiculous slagging off the only age group in the last thirty years that has actually delivered regular full internationals and holding it up as an example of how the system isn't working.

And Spain went on to be World and European champions, they are better than we are.

My point was its a bit ridiculous slagging off the only age group in the last thirty years that has actually delivered regular full internationals and holding it up as an example of how the system isn't working.

I didn't have a point. I was just saying. Nae need to be so touchy ;)

The only thing I'd add though, is it purely a Scottish issue or indeed a British one?

Some of our most talented youngsters have gone to England at an early stage of their career and have subsequently stalled.

It's arguable that they haven't improved much despite being in the EPL and being coached by supposedly world class coaches.

The only thing I'd add though, is it purely a Scottish issue or indeed a British one?

Some of our most talented youngsters have gone to England at an early stage of their career and have subsequently stalled.

It's arguable that they haven't improved much despite being in the EPL and being coached by supposedly world class coaches.

If the EPL had world class coaches they'd be creating more of their own talent, rather than buying in distinctly average foreigners. Just look at Germany, Belgium and Spain. It isn't all about chances, it's a lot to do with being good enough. The cast offs from Barcelona, having played twice in the Copa Del Rey, all end up signing for Stoke.

I'd say the Championship is more adept at creating decent youngsters than the EPL is - and I suspect that is only going to get worse.