Squad For Georgia And Germsny Games - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad For Georgia And Germsny Games

Argentina78

Possibly, and that's something we are all grateful for.

It's impossible to believe though that if the likes of Forrest or Chris Martin played for Aberdeen or Dundee United, they would get a call up.

Chris Martin scored 18 goals in 40 games last year in the Championship. If he was playing for Aberdeen or United then I'm sure Strachan would not ignore him. The fact is no Aberdeen or United player eligible for Scotland scored half the goals as Martin did in a league which is at least as good. I don't think that Strachan has any bias against non Celtic players. Having said that I probably wouldn't select either Forrest or Martin - though hope they prove me wrong by combining for the winner against Germany!

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Martin scored 18 goals in 40 games last year in the Championship. If he was playing for Aberdeen or United then I'm sure Strachan would not ignore him. The fact is no Aberdeen or United player eligible for Scotland scored half the goals as Martin did in a league which is at least as good. I don't think that Strachan has any bias against non Celtic players. Having said that I probably wouldn't select either Forrest or Martin - though hope they prove me wrong by combining for the winner against Germany!

i dont rate martin from what i have seen of him, which is only his games he has played for scotland, he is in the squad as he is a target man, he is a bit different than the other players we have

edit, just watched this

he certainly doesnt look the cumbersome oaf he did in his appearances so far

Edited by LewisEDI

Happy to see Leigh Griffiths (on form) and Amstrong getting in the squad.

I also don't buy into the " a win in tiblisi" is not imperative. I think strachan is trying to take some pressure off the players.

Privately I am sure the wee man will be out to win in Goergia,

25g46xd.jpg

Aye he or the squad won't say it's a must win publicly but they'll all the know the consequences of not getting the 3 points

Ireland play gibraltar and then at home to georgia, They will be expecting 6 points from those two games,

We must win in tiblisi, I don't fancy going into the germany game needing a win to play catch up with the irish.

:ok:

Aye he or the squad won't say it's a must win publicly but they'll all the know the consequences of not getting the 3 points

he said the same thing before the home georgia game then afterwards said "of course it was a must win, but i didnt tell them that"

I think a win in Georgia is a must. A win v Georgia will give us a great chance to qualify automatically. However, if we lose I think we will finish 4th.

As mentioned above, Ireland's next two games are Gibraltar away and Georgia at home. I full expect them to get 6 points.

If we lose to Georgia and Germany we would be 4 points behind Ireland with 2 games to play. We would need at least a draw v Poland (and a win v Gib) to match Ireland's total presuming they lost v Poland and Germany (Ireland have already got a point v both).

No doubt about it - Georgia is a massive match.

Edited by tartanpar

I'd like to approach a couple of topics. Firstly, Georgia is a MUST WIN. Mathematically it is not, but in the grand scheme of things Strachan will know fine well that we will need 3 points. If we get anything from the Germany game, it will be a bonus, but can't help feeling slightly optimistic when thinking back to the performance away in Dortmund.

In regards to call ups, I can't help but feel surprised to see James Forrest on the squad sheet. He is a good player however is inconsistent, I feel he needs a good run in the Celtic team to really get back to full form. I also can't see him starting, with the likes on Richie and Anya who have had promising starts to the season in the EPL.

I also feel Aberdeen fans pain of seeing Shinnie being consistently overlooked. He has had good and consistent performances for Inverness and more recently did particularly well for Aberdeen in Europe being one of their stand out players in my opinion.

Finally, I'd have loved to see Gary McKay-Steven involved in the squad, however he also hasn't had a consistent run of games for Celtic so can see why he has been excluded, however is definitely one to keen an eye on as the quality is there.

Apart from that however, no real surprises, Chris Martin maybe is a doubt but I can't see him getting any game time from the two games.

I think Strachan will stick with Fletcher up top who has been very poor for Sunderland for some time. However with his hat-trick against Gibraltar, I can't see him being overlooked. In regards to recent form however, Griffiths should start, who looked very impressive against Malmo at Celtic Park and has also been consistently scoring in the SPFL this season.

However, I do fully trust Strachan, he has done an exceptional job so far, and grinded results out, so I'm sure (fingers crossed) he'll do the same against Georgia!

(PS Sorry for the essay!!)

Edited by MikeyGC

Only ones I have any real problems with are Ritchie & Chris Martin, both of whom have been honking every time they've played.

I'd also rather they didn't take the places of Scottish players who are better.

Would swap: Chris Martin for Tony Watt (who has looked fantastic for Charlton).

Lee Wallace for Craig Forsyth (some on here might have a go at me for it but Wallace has been excellent recently and have never been convinced by Forsyth tbh).

and perhaps controversially James McCarthur for Charlie Adam, nothing to do with comparing quality of player....but we already have 3 excellent solid sitting midfielders in the squad in the shape of Fletcher,Mulgrew and Brown, and Adam could provide us an option if we're 1-0 down in a game and need his long-passing quality to offer something a bit different (Would rather have a different option for an emergency than more of the same).

mmmmm, well I'm sure the last time Armstrong was in a squad he was playing for................Dundee Utd. Since signing for Celtic, neither him or Mackay-Stephen have had a look in as far as Scotland are concerned, up until now.

Careful now, don't stop facts getting the greetin faced sheep their boners.

Armstrong has stepped up to another level and proven himself and should start. Questions should be asked of Strachan should the thumb not start.

WGS tells us the Georgia game is not a must win.....really???

Armstrong has stepped up to another level and proven himself and should start. Questions should be asked of Strachan should the thumb not start.

Armstrong won't start.

I wouldn't expect WGS to put anymore pressure on the squad publicly before the game, the players ain't daft, they will know what's at stake here.

Course he knows it's must win, he's not goin to tell the press that though is he.

Has Strachan called any game a must win? Sure he even said getting beat in Dublin would not be the end of the world?

I suspect, in private, Strachan is thinking Georgia is probably the make or break game.

Win in Tbilisi and it cements 3rd place for us and gives us a bit of breathing space with Germany to come next.

Get beat in Tbilisi and I think that is our campaign over with for another tournament (as others have said, Ireland should really get 6 out of 6 over the next two games).

wanderer, on 25 Aug 2015 - 08:42 AM, said:

Has Strachan called any game a must win? Sure he even said getting beat in Dublin would not be the end of the world?

Didn't he say about the first Georgia game that it was a must win?

Don't be surprised if Forrest gets a start. He's had 2 strong performances recently against Killie and Malmo. If he shines again tomorrow night I think wgs might just pick him.

If either of those were strong performances then I'm going to up to the loft to find my boots. I think you are confusing Forrest with not being totally and utterly p1sh and being just about ok.

LewisEDI, on 25 Aug 2015 - 09:38 AM, said:

no he didnt, then he said on some sports program, one of the satutday morning ones i think, that it was a must win game but he didnt tell the players that

Eh? You seem to be saying that he both did and didn't say it.

Is this a Schroedinger's cat scenario?

If either of those were strong performances then I'm going to up to the loft to find my boots. I think you are confusing Forrest with not being totally and utterly p1sh and being just about ok.

This