Transfer Rumours - Page 38 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is this the over investment king spoke of?

not another lie, surely not. Actually they are acting like a championship team trying to get back into the premiership so hard to really fault their signing policy; just nothing like what was promised by King - at least so far

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does a Brazilian with no caps get a work permit?

I'm guessing it's the Portuguese connection from either playing there or a Brazilian/Portuguese connection (family?) in general.

I think many other Brazilians have taken the Portuguese route/passport to other European clubs.

Took me so long to respond, Kittymeister has answered it already.

Edited by fringo

not another lie, surely not. Actually they are acting like a championship team trying to get back into the premiership so hard to really fault their signing policy; just nothing like what was promised by King - at least so far

I'll refer you to my earlier post and Fairbairn's reply - what did King "promise", specifically?

I'm not sure I understand the occasional jibes against Rangers' signing policy thus far and, in particular, those comments about how much money the board are choosing/willing to spend. From my recollection (and I'll happily be proved wrong), our board have never committed a transfer budget to the public domain and therefore any accusations of underspending to date are subjective only.

As it happens, I'm encouraged by the 'off the radar' nature of most of our signings to date, with 4 commanding transfer fees (including Holt, assuming that materialises) to a total of circa £750k. Whilst obviously still greatly in excess of our Championship competitors, it has been refreshing as far as I am concerned, to see the signings in their teens and low 20s thereby potentially providing sell-on value...for a change. I would also hazard that considerable savings have been made to our wage budget too, perhaps freeing up funds for player transfer fees in lieu. Season tickets are also expected to sit at the 30-35k mark which brings in decent revenue.

From the accounts I read of last night's 1-0 loss to Burnley (I'm in Cyprus otherwise would have gone myself), we played well and had a 'build from the back' approach to our play. Also refreshing.

This will take time and I acknowledge that we may not be ready (or, frankly, bothered) for the Hibs game on Saturday (Warburton has already stated that his obvious priority is not the Petrofac Cup...) but from my perspective, I at least have some encouragement, for a change, and therefore don't really 'get' the ongoing, thinly-veiled criticisms of our current policy.

Just so you know - £750k is a lot of money.

Just so you know - £750k is a lot of money.

That's what they don't get. Nobody outside of Celtic can afford that. But hey ho, they arra peepel. The rest are shite. No one likes them and they don't care.

No one outside Celtic has 30,000 + season ticket holders.

Aberdeen spent 350k on one player in January - presumably, you posted a similarly nonsensical post about that transfer.

I am not sure if we have spent 750k either - only two transfers I have seen fees for are Holt (60k) and Kiernan (200k).

Of course, we have people slagging King for not spending enough and others for slagging Rangers for spending too much....

Aberdeen spent 350k on one player in January - presumably, you posted a similarly nonsensical post about that transfer.

I am not sure if we have spent 750k either - only two transfers I have seen fees for are Holt (60k) and Kiernan (200k).

Of course, we have people slagging King for not spending enough and others for slagging Rangers for spending too much....

McLean apparently cost £175k.

Article I read said you had 22500?

Nah, folk are just laughing because King said he'd invest upwards of £10million in Rangers to get all ra bears on side. To date he seems to have invested very little. And now he's telling Rangers fans to spend more on the club or they'll never get close to Celtic.

And as has been pointed out, Aberdeen didn't spend £350k on McLean. :)

I'll refer you to my earlier post and Fairbairn's reply - what did King "promise", specifically?

He promised to over-invest in the team. He promised to spend his kids inheritance money (£30m) to invest in the team, OK?

As I said in my post, the rangers look to be doing what they should have done 3 years ago, spending sensibly.

McLean cost 170k or thereabouts. And that's the first time Aberdeen have spent such money in years. Anyway, I wasn't having a pop at Rangers at all, I was just highlighting that the sanctimonious rant above had completely missed its own arrogance.

Hibs statement on Scott Allan today. :D

Hibernian FC confirmed that the Club had received an offer from Rangers FC for midfielder Scott Allan.

The offer – for a total of £175,000 with payment terms to be negotiated – was rejected out of hand.

Leeann Dempster, Chief Executive of Hibernian, said: “There has been a lot of speculation in recent weeks regarding Rangers and their intention to bid for our player. That bid arrived three days before the two sides are due to meet in the first match of the season. It was an easy bid to reject.

“Scott Allan is one of Scotland’s best midfield talents and last season’s Championship player of the year, and any approaches for him are unwelcome.”

Head Coach Alan Stubbs said: “Scott is focused on helping Hibernian to gain promotion this season, and he will be a big player for us in meeting that challenge. He is happy to be at Hibernian and is only focused on performing well for the club and its supporters.”

Edited by giblet

Nah, folk are just laughing because King said he'd invest upwards of £10million in Rangers to get all ra bears on side. To date he seems to have invested very little. And now he's telling Rangers fans to spend more on the club or they'll never get close to Celtic.

And as has been pointed out, Aberdeen didn't spend £350k on McLean. :)

I must have missed that specific amount of investment and the time frame associated with it?

It seems people are determined to have a go at king for whatever reason. I am happy to be proved wrong but he hasn't broken any promises I'm aware of and appears to be running (or perhaps more accurately supervising the running of) rangers in the exact manner that many critics were advocating for in the past few years.

My sources for the McLean transfer fee of around £300k are similar to the sources for the transfer fees paid by rangers. http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/31094119 and https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/aberdeen-fc/dons-sign-kenny-mclean-for-275000/.

The fact remains that spending £150 - 300k by Aberdeen is way more of Aberdeen's budget than rangers spending £750k (even if rangers have spent that which is doubtful).

Edited by bruce778

I must have missed that specific amount of investment and the time frame associated with it?

I'm fed up having to tell you every time Dave King lies or contradicts himself, to be honest. Pretty sure i've linked to you before an article where King states that Rangers require upwards of £20million and that he'd stump up half of that himself. I can't be arsed finding it again.

The fact remains that spending £150 - 300k by Aberdeen is way more of Aberdeen's budget than rangers spending £750k (even if rangers have spent that which is doubtful).

The fact remains that Aberdeen are debt-free and not haemorrhaging cash. Rangers need emergency loans to stop them going under.