Operation 'stop The Treble' - Page 8 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Operation 'stop The Treble'

Bit of a split opinion discussing this on Sportsound: Willie and Tom say Meekings needs to be suspended. Murdo and Chick say he shouldn't.

Hang on - so they are suggesting a player should be suspended because a referee and his cohorts failed to do their jobs? All six of them?

Which means the player is penalised retrospectively for the incompetence of the match officials on the day?

Unbelievable.

If they do that, then Celtic might have a case for having the entire game replayed due to the incompetents admitting that the officials that THEY appointed made the wrong decision.

The SFA/SPFL are not fit for purpose.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be argued that Celtic have been pretty devious with this whole episode. Given the way Celtic have handled this, Refs will now be terrified. Instead of just reffing games, they may resort to doing all they can to avoid courting controversy where Celtic are involved. Given the media power and support Celtic carry, this works very much to their advantage. Can't see too many pens being awarded against Celtic at Parkhead for the rest of this season anyway. Not the first time this tactic has been deployed either.

And a very strong argument.

Hang on - so they are suggesting a player should be suspended because a referee and his cohorts failed to do their jobs? All six of them?

Which means the player is penalised retrospectively for the incompetence of the match officials on the day?

Unbelievable.

If they do that, then Celtic might have a case for having the entire game replayed due to the incompetents admitting that the officials that THEY appointed made the wrong decision.

The SFA/SPFL are not fit for purpose.

Was quite surprised to hear Tom English stick up for the SFA so vociferously. He even said he thought Meekings would've been pulled up if Celtic had won :rolleyes:

Celtic didn't write publically to the SFA. Unless you or I or anyone has actually seen the contents of the letter then its not written publically. Maybe you have a different understanding of the word "publically"?

Celtic wrote to the SFA and then released a statement, on the back of doing so, explaining they had done so due to the amount of fans grumping/moaning/bitching about the non award of the penalty. They made it public knowledge they had written to the SFA to try and appease the fans. Whether that was right or wrong, I am not sure, personally I am falling on the side of it being wrong in bowing to fans moaning.

However you crack on with your wee hair brained conspiracy theories about wanting refs or players banned. I am sure no matter what is said, you won't be for turning.

Semantics on whether the letter was public or the fact they are whining. It's effectively the same thing.

You've still not come up with a better reason for the publicity they've drummed up.

To be fair most Celtic fans I have spoken to or who have commented on social media are being more sensible about this than the club they support. Not all obviously (there are plenty of zoomers in any support), but most. I find they are annoyed at the fact that a terrible refereeing decision cost them a place in the cup final (which I think is fair enough, it was and it did) but in the cold light of day, can see it for what it was a a piece of terrible refereeing, no more.

Bang on the money. Well said.

A few headcases will be convinced there's a conspiracy but the reality is there isn't. We just have a couple of really shite refs in Scotland and an administrative body that sometimes does things that beggar belief. Being an idiot doesn't make you biased. It just makes you an idiot.

Just noticed McLean was born on 1 April. How appropriate!

Nothing happened to the referee who fecked up at Pittodrie in November so can't see why it should be any different here.

Heard Murdo McLeod say that all 6 officials missed it - that is pathetic to suggest that all were to blame as 3 off them weren't even in the same half.

I'm all for calling officials to account but only if it is done properly and consistently - we can't go driving officials out the game because of the actions of 1 club though.

The SFA for years where RFC. The disgusting treatment of our European cup winners in Scotland teams has never been forgotten.

Celtic had the right to ask about the decision as every club does. However Meekings should never be banned. Not fair on him it was up to the officials to make the correct call.

I hope common sense prevails and ICT go on and win the cup.

Edited by usainboltyarocket

Semantics on whether the letter was public or the fact they are whining. It's effectively the same thing.

You've still not come up with a better reason for the publicity they've drummed up.

No, its not semantics, its not the same thing, there is a difference, you just fail to understand that.

I have come up with a reason, actually THE (only) reason. Twice. And posted as such, I can't help it if you are word blind. It doesn't have to be "better" than your daft wee thoughts flashing about your head though seeing as yours are made up pish.

However Meekings should never be banned. Not fair on him it was up to the officials to make the correct call.

Spot on and I think you would find very few people who would argue against that view. Apart from some paranoid LaLaLand Bear on here who think that's exactly the reason Celtic questioned the refs performance.

Edited by Dalgety Bay TA

Spot on and I think you would find very few people who would argue against that view. Apart from some paranoid LaLaLand Bear on here who think that's exactly the reason Celtic questioned the refs performance.

Just because I don't agree with you doesn't make me paranoid. You're the one displaying paranoid behaviours.

I don't think Meekings should be banned and certainly haven't said so, so please stop telling your wee porkies.

The only reason you've put forward for Celtic making their request public is because they were pandering to the lunatic fringe in their support. If that's the case then Peter Lawell is an idiot and personally I think he's actually a very smart man.

As I said just because I don't agree with you doesn't make me wrong. I'm expressing an opinion. Try not to take it so personally and have a wee drink. Make it a double! ?

Just been reading that Celtic had a Scottish cup final replayed as snow on the pitch v third Lanark im the old days

They lost the replay also

Believe was also a massive delay in Joey Harper taking the pen in 70 final as Celtic players tried to get the red to overturn his ruling

Surprised sfa have not been asked to replay rhe game

What a farce

I went along to dens park last night since I'm working in Dundee this week. Dundee were never really in it but some of the refereeing decisions in favour of Celtic was just plain bizarre.

I did chuckle at the Celtic fans booing the ref on to the park though. Always cheated never defeated

From a footballing point of view Celtic were worth their win and were barely threatened by Dundee who lacked anything in the final third.

As long as Sporting Integrity is the winner then that is fine my me. Where we be without the institution that is Celtic FC to uphold this noble cause.

Exactly, all these other feckers have been missing the point. At least you have been paying attention Ed!

Just because I don't agree with you doesn't make me paranoid. You're the one displaying paranoid behaviours.

Doesn't believe club statement. Makes up own reasons for Celtic contacting SFA. Calls other people paranoid. #logic

I don't think Meekings should be banned and certainly haven't said so, so please stop telling your wee porkies.

:lol::lol: You really do have trouble with comprehension don't you?! I never said YOU want Meekings banned. Try reading the posts again. Slowly.

The only reason you've put forward for Celtic making their request public is because they were pandering to the lunatic fringe in their support. If that's the case then Peter Lawell is an idiot and personally I think he's actually a very smart man.

The only reason I have put forward is the same reason Celtic have put forward. That's THE reason, not the ones you choose to make up with no fact or proof. As I have already said, IMO it was not a good decision to make it public as it panders to the fans and probably dials ups the "They-are-out-to-get-us-meter" amongst quite a few Celtic fans.

Try not to take it so personally and have a wee drink. Make it a double!

Not taking anything personally, I usually don't give 2 hoots what happens on here or Celtic in general to be honest. You can tell that's the case from the amount of times I post on Celtic or Scottish football. I just feel I have to call horseshit now and then when I feel someone is just making stuff up. Don't take it personally, you ain't the only one. I would suggest you have a drink too but can't think of one witty enough to equate to your seasons success. As far as I know there isn't a drink closely related to Championship play off semi final losers. Sour milk possibly?

The SFA for years where RFC. The disgusting treatment of our European cup winners in Scotland teams has never been forgotten.

Celtic had the right to ask about the decision as every club does. However Meekings should never be banned. Not fair on him it was up to the officials to make the correct call.

I hope common sense prevails and ICT go on and win the cup.

what exactly are celtic "asking" about the decision? nothing. f&ck all. they are just creating a fuss and having a moan to pander to their fans sense of victimisation.

we got beat in the semi, boo hoo. not content with a pretty much certain double they have to moan about another team daring to actually beat them in the cup.

yes the ref got it wrong, we all agree about that, but live with it FFS.

Lennon agrees the Meekings retrospective ban is harsh and would open a huge can of worms.

The SFA should end it all now by not punishing Meekings and we can draw a line under the saga as it's getting tedious now.

what exactly are celtic "asking" about the decision? nothing. f&ck all. they are just creating a fuss and having a moan to pander to their fans sense of victimisation.

we got beat in the semi, boo hoo. not content with a pretty much certain double they have to moan about another team daring to actually beat them in the cup.

yes the ref got it wrong, we all agree about that, but live with it FFS.

No offence but you're kinda missing the point. Surely if we all agree the refereeing fraternity are not fit for purpose then our clubs should do something about it rather than just accept it?

I get that a lot of you are enjoying having a go and laughing at the lost treble opportunity... its perfectly understandable. I also get that some are sceptical about Celtics method, motives, timing etc. But, more than once I have seen on this thread fans say....We have all suffered at the hands of these referees.. You just have to get over it.

Well surely its time something was done about it rather than just accepting that's 'how it is'. Whether that is allowing the 4th official a look at a TV monitor or a complete root and branch look at refereeing I don't know but allowing things to continue as they are is not an option.

No offence but you're kinda missing the point. Surely if we all agree the refereeing fraternity are not fit for purpose then our clubs should do something about it rather than just accept it?

I get that a lot of you are enjoying having a go and laughing at the lost treble opportunity... its perfectly understandable. I also get that some are sceptical about Celtics method, motives, timing etc. But, more than once I have seen on this thread fans say....We have all suffered at the hands of these referees.. You just have to get over it.

Well surely its time something was done about it rather than just accepting that's 'how it is'. Whether that is allowing the 4th official a look at a TV monitor or a complete root and branch look at refereeing I don't know but allowing things to continue as they are is not an option.

Hearts brought up the subject a few years ago but was dismissed by many, including Celtic fans, as yet another Romanov rant. The club were fined. I believe Willie Miller also questioned the refereeing standards, again he was fined.

The refereeing standards need reviewed but it looks as though Celtic are only interested when they are on the wrong end of a bad decision. They should be looked at for the good of everyone not on Celtic's terms.

Hearts brought up the subject a few years ago but was dismissed by many, including Celtic fans, as yet another Romanov rant. The club were fined. I believe Willie Miller also questioned the refereeing standards, again he was fined.

The refereeing standards need reviewed but it looks as though Celtic are only interested when they are on the wrong end of a bad decision. They should be looked at for the good of everyone not on Celtic's terms.

Agreed and to be fair there are Aberdeen and Dundee Utd fans still complaining about decisions that went against them months ago. The point is no matter Celtics motivation something needs to be done. These officials are now paid a decent wedge and I believe are looking for a rise yet don't want to be accountable.

As I said somewhere else on here, how oh how are they going to cope with the likely increase in pressure if and when Rangers rejoin the top league if they can't cope now?

Edited by slasher

I'm told they are pulled up but it is never made public.

'Punishments' range from slap on the wrist to a few games in lower or non league.

The problem is there doesn't appear to be a big queue of up and coming refs ready to step in.

I'm as big a critic of Scottish officials as the next fan but we have to be careful that we don't chase folk out of the game or from wanting to be a referee.

One thing I have said in the past is that the refereeing fraternity need to admit that their standards have slipped. I'd like to see someone like Collina be invited to come over for a couple of weeks to impart his knowledge and way of doing things.

I think one of the problems is a lack of perspective amongst fans - If a top league player spits at another player, pretty much considered worst offence a player can commit by a lot of people - even if it's not, humour me - he gets 6 / 8 match ban and then back to top level...

When refs make horrendous mistakes, as they do, there's calls for them to be struck of fifa lists, banished to lower leagues forever / extended periods of time, or sacked outright... it's totally over the top imo.

Make the penalty equitable with the players punishment - if a player gets retro 2 match ban for an off the ball punch or whatever, give the ref the same then move on....