The Burial Of Richard Iii Channel 4 Now - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Burial Of Richard Iii Channel 4 Now

I think the English are perfectly entitled to bury one of their countries old kings with a wee bit of pomp and circumstance. English history is not my strong point but didn't Richard III play a major role during a period of their countries history after all ?

It's the media's somewhat over the top, incessant reporting of it that has got on a lot of people's nerves I imagine.

And I do wonder if many of the people out there on the streets today even knew what was really going on or who Richard III actually was ?

I think the English are perfectly entitled to bury one of their countries old kings with a wee bit of pomp and circumstance. English history is not my strong point but didn't Richard III play a major role during a period of their countries history after all ?

It's the media's somewhat over the top, incessant reporting of it that has got on a lot of people's nerves I imagine.

And I do wonder if many of the people out there on the streets today even knew what was really going on or who Richard III actually was ?

One of my favourite bits of Cockney rhyming slang.

I don't know what any of this is about but why did they did him up??

oh right i saw something about this , it seems years ago now, some super excited woman about the contents of a grave.

It's probably not even him anyway, the show i watched 5 mins of had no scientific merit whatsoever, beyond a screen caption of someones claims to know what they were talking about.

The UK establishment coming together to pay homage to a child murderer - are we not supposed to have moved on from this?

Probably raised a lot of money for charity and would have done anything for anyone though, so fair play to him.

I seen a funny tweet from someone saying wouldnt it be ironic if in 500 years time Leicester Cathedral had been turned into a car park ....

I seen a funny tweet from someone saying wouldnt it be ironic if in 500 years time Leicester Cathedral had been turned into a car park ....

Maybe the historians of the future will make a triple discovery of Richard III, Gary Lineker and Willie Thorne...

Would be fitting if the same passion was shown for Scotland Kings..Don't hold your breath.

Neither King James IV nor his belongings have been given dignity in death
Wednesday 20 February 2013

I read with interest Tom Dowd's letter calling for a search for the body of James IV and expressing his regret that so little remains of Scotland's most popular king ("Trace the remains of King James IV", The Herald, February 14).

It is not widely known that the College of Arms in London keeps in its library the sword, dagger and ring taken from James's body and donated by the descendants of the Earl of Surrey, victor of Flodden, who was later created Duke of Norfolk.

Several years ago I attempted to have these objects returned to Scotland and was helped by many people, notably four leading armourers, two Scottish, one Spanish and one English, who were kind enough to give me their opinions.

Though a striking drawing of the relics exists, no close photographs could be obtained – the college refused to provide them. My attempts failed due to the lack of interest of the Museum of Scotland which informed me it intended sending someone to London to examine the objects, but never did and stopped replying to my inquiries.

One of the Scottish armourers believes, as I do, the sword and dagger are of Spanish manufacture – indeed the name Domingo, possibly the maker, can be seen in the drawing. It seems likely the weapons were a diplomatic gift from Spain, which was at the forefront of weapon design at that time. The turquoise and gold ring is believed to be the one sent by Anne of Brittany, twice Queen of France, as an inducement to James to attack England. As such it would be a rare emblem of the Auld Alliance.

I have spoken to two people who have seen the relics in the College of Arms. One of them told me they are "lying in an old fish tank with some Zulu spears and other trophies of war".

It seems neither King James nor his belongings have been accorded any dignity in death – a completely unacceptable situation. I commend the efforts of Tom Dowds and, recently, Gary Stewart of the Wallace Society and interested MSPs in looking into this and hope the king's belongings can be brought home for the first time in 500 years.

Elspeth Crocket,

84 Strathleven Drive, Alexandria.

King James IV of Scotland was buried at Sheen Monastery in Surrey.

It has been suggested that remains may be buried under the course at Richmond Golf Club.

I have read that, after the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the king's head was hacked off by a workman.

As I recall, James IV's head was associated with a London city church, Holy Trinity, Minories. After its closure, the king's reputed head was said to have been kept in a black deed box at St Botolph's, Bishopsgate, which is still in existence as a church.