Our Pathetic Rugby Team - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Our Pathetic Rugby Team

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched a good chunk of this match...

https://youtu.be/LAbMqTNKquA

I guess in terms of success it's been all downhill from here. There wasn't even a try in the game but it was still entertaining. The guys are a fair bit smaller than now, some of the passing would now be considered suicidal, the line outs were bizarre and the scrum didn't take 5 minutes each time.

But by far the most interesting part of the video starts around 1:32:00 with some of the after match coverage with Rob Andrew and Will Carling drinking cans of coke for the interview, someone smoking a fag and the rest of the team cracking open the beers! Brilliant stuff.

Oh, and 1:36:00 "just can't trust the jocks" apparently!

Don't care about rugby in the slightest but reading about it yesterday it seemed very odd and unfair that the last team playing gets a target to aim for. All the matches should kick off at the sane time.

Agree with this 100%.

But it did directly contribute to one of the most insane games of rugby I have ever watched.

J

Used to love rugby, but over the last decade the game has become very stale.....

Gave playing a chance in my teens because a number of my mates were at Ardrossan Accies, but wasn't for me.

You would hope now that the SRU have paid off their crippling debt that things will improve (Edinburgh and Glasgow seem to have come on leaps and bounds over the last couple of years, so would hope that this will find its way into the national team eventually).

Yes the rugby team are in something of a trough - it happens. Odd though that the football team has been in a trough even longer and I hear of no one calling for them to quit or be relegated.

Last time our football team qualified for anything was 1998 whereas the rugby team won the six nations in 1999.

Yes the rugby team are in something of a trough - it happens. Odd though that the football team has been in a trough even longer and I hear of no one calling for them to quit or be relegated.

Last time our football team qualified for anything was 1998 whereas the rugby team won the six nations in 1999.

The "teachers' strike" gets mentioned when the decline of Scottish team sport is discussed. Certainly those dates came while our teams still contained players who were at academy prior to the strike.

BTW- Saw Ireland receiving the trophy on the news, what was the story there? 1000s of them inside Murrayfield, did they show the England - France game in the stadium?...

Edited by Toepoke

I went to a state school and played both rugby and football - although the emphasis was always on the footy.

To be honest kids today can't even be bothered with football let alone rugby - back in the 80's there were 50 Glasgow secondaries who nearly all had a team or two (or three) at every age level competing week in week out on red ash pitches and the dreaded Mitre mouldmaster - producing a wide pool of talent for clubs to scout.

Now there are only 29 secondaries and you're lucky if there's more than half a dozen schools in each age range with a single squad.

From a parents perspective rugby is inherently unsafe - there was a tackle yesterday on one of the French backs around the 70th minute of the game (can't find the video) where the impact on his neck in slow motion was simply horrific to see - he got up after a minute and played on thankfully but other posters are correct the game has changed and higher tackles seem to be the norm now

Scotland have never won the 6 nations.

I can understand the lack of success compared to France or England which have ten times the population but what hacks me off is that we're so poor in comparison with Ireland and Wales. Once upon a time at least we could console ourselves that we were so much better at football but that's been the case for a while. Thank God for Andy Murray!

Elegant players that we used to have like Andy Irvine and John Rutherford would get absolutely nowhere these days at international level, and more's the pity.

We are probably the country that's suffered the most from the game going pro...

Edited by Toepoke

Is it not effectively 5 of the 6 nations + South Africa, Australia and New Zealand that make up the board of the Rugby Governing Board? With only a hand full of other associations getting a vote?

Remember there was talk few years back that a 2nd level 6 nations should be considered, giving the strength of a number of the Eastern European nations over the last decade, but never gets a serious consideration, as could result in Scotland and Wales losing their place at the top table.

Mentioning John Rutherford - what a player he was - just seemed to ghost past people - as you say no place in today's game for players like him Gary Armstrong etc.

Campese who was a genius - no place for him either.

One of the best players Ive ever seen was Johnny Wilkinson playing for Newcastle in his early days - fantastic player but no room to show his skills in the modern game where he is limited as a kicker.

Today's rugby union player is a sterile machine - bred to tackle and barge in to tackles.

I think we need a wee bit of perspective here. Folk talking about us giving up playing rugby is absolute nonsense. We are still ranked number 10 in the world (I think we got up to about 6 or 7 not that long ago?) and have a pretty decent chance of getting to the QF of the World Cup. I find very hard to imagine our football team getting to a World Cup QF within my lifetime. Even qualifying for a football WC seems a distant prospect.

It wasn't that long ago that Wales were so bad that they had to prequalify for the World Cup and look at them now - ranked number 5.

There is a fine line between success and failure at this level. We could have beat France in Paris, we should have beat Wales and Italy, a decent performance against England, although we never looked like winning and a total freak show yesterday.

Our next really massive game is against Samoa the day before we play Gibraltar in Faro. We won't be favorites for that game but we should have a decent chance of winning it. I am looking forward to a massive sporting weekend for Scotland. Our football team qualifying for Euro 2016 and the Rugby team getting to the World Cup QF. We could be looking at a QF against Wales, England or Australia at Twickenham.

Have to say I haven't noticed much improvement under this new bloke. I think there's a world of difference in narrowly winning and narrowly losing in rugby and we prove it. Too many pathetic school boy errors through out this campaign. And the second halves of the England and Ireland matches are 80 minutes of the poorest I've seen from a Scotland side for ages.

That said through pure stupidity I think we might turn things around for the RWC, next years 6 nations are a write off already due to the way the fixtures fall I think.