Lionel Messi, Best Ever? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lionel Messi, Best Ever?

As the title says, for me yes. Although I wasn't alive for maradona and pele. Think messi does things that go beyond stats etc that you say people use to back up Cristiano Ronaldo. Last night messi was just brilliant, seen him live twice and both times it felt like I was in the company of greatness!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Best ever.

I read a great line from the in an article today, when discussing Messi's miss from the spot vs City:

"Some players need penalties to feel like a god; others need penalties just to feel human"

No doubt this will offend someone but i think anyone who thinks Ronaldo is better than Messi, doesn't really know much about or truly understand football.

No doubt this will offend someone but i think anyone who thinks Ronaldo is better than Messi, doesn't really know much about or truly understand football.

I'm of a similar opinion, I now almost refuse to have the argument with pals over Messi/Ronaldo as in my view anyone who doesn't know by now is choosing not to! Not gonna berate someone for believing otherwise right enough!

As you say though it is almost like he is a complete different species, can see him playing a pirlo/xavi type role when he reaches 34 ish as his passing is just sublime!

Edited by TartanDave

Too young to really remember Maradona - but what I did see was fantastic. Being a central midfielder myself, ahem, I was a huge fan of Zidane - absolute genius. However, Messi is a phenomenon. He even comes across as very likeable. But he doesn't need the no nonsense, no diving, no scandal and nice guy attributes to get the best ever title....football alone, for me, he is the best ever. The other stuff is a bonus.

Maradona for me. I've never seen anybody else so able to single-handedly lift mediocre teams to greatness...

I'd agree with this. While you can't say that he won the World Cup in 1986 single handed, he wasn't far from it as he inspired an otherwise decent but functional Argentina team to the title. He also did a similar job with Napoli, leading them to the Scudetto at a time when Serie was probably the strongest league in Europe.

Messi and Ronaldo have always played in very good club sides and have undoubtedly enhanced those, however at International level, where a number of their teammates are not at the same level as their clubmates, they haven't had the same impact.

Maradona could do everything that Messi can do and remember that was in an era where he was regularly kicked off the park, nothing whatsoever like today.

Cooper and Dalglish. Law off the bench if Cooper is injured.

Messi would get on before Ronaldo if Law or Dalglish got injured. ?

Edited by andreimack

Maradona for me - saw him play at Hampden for Argentina when he was just a teenager (1978/9 IIRC) & he was by far the best player on the park, moving onto world cup in Mexico 1986, he just about won that tournament for them on his own.

Best Ever IMO.

Maradona was the gresatest player of all time in my humble opinion

Maradona for me - saw him play at Hampden for Argentina when he was just a teenager (1978/9 IIRC) & he was by far the best player on the park, moving onto world cup in Mexico 1986, he just about won that tournament for them on his own.

Best Ever IMO.

And nearly repated the feat four years later in Italy, yes he is the greatest player I have ever seen Messi is a close second

There are a group of players who I just couldn't pick the best from - Pele, Maradona, Zidane aand Messi - all of them a genius. Below them is another big group too many to mention Ronaldo, Best, Cruyff, Beckenbaur etc.

Although my personal favourite has to be Brett Ormerod at Blackpool. Best player Ive ever seen live was Mario Kempes playing for Valencia at Ibrox.

Watched an interview with Ibrahimovic. He was asked who was better. He answered instantly, Messi. He explained the difference is that Ronaldo is a product that has been produced. Whereas Messi was born with it.

Yes. Without a doubt the best of his generation and for me the best ever.

In the past 7 years he has scored 38 goals or more in a season. That level of consistency is unbelievable, especially in the modern game when even the weakest of teams are generally well organised. Last season he was poor apparently, certainly Barca weren't at their best but he still scored 41 goals.

The value of a goal between him and Ronaldo has changed dramatically.

He's a joy to watch and almost the only player who keeps me interested in club football.