Lionel Messi, Best Ever? - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lionel Messi, Best Ever?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still couldn't score against Joe Hart, who, if the TAMB is to believed, is pish :ok:

He's scored into about 100 'keepers who're better than Hart though, so kind of a shite stat there.

This would've been 1999-ish so Youtube hadn't been invented.

You just know someone's going to google that hoping to prove you wrong ??

I'd have guessed you would have been the one to respond to that mate :ok:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

The reason it got me was that it's the kind of pish the English Commentators always used to go on about. "MEssi's never scored on English soil", "Ibra has never scored against an English team".

They'd talk as if these were some kind of sensible barometer of a players ability. It riles me :lol:

Diego for me, no doubts about it. Imagine how good he would have been as if he was as single minded as Messi.

As for Ronaldo and Messi, Ronaldo may be just as an effective footballer as Messi but Messi is a better footballer.

The reason it got me was that it's the kind of pish the English Commentators always used to go on about. "MEssi's never scored on English soil", "Ibra has never scored against an English team".

They'd talk as if these were some kind of sensible barometer of a players ability. It riles me :lol:

As far As I know neither of them have scored against Scotland Either.... or on Scottish Soil..... anyone know if thats true?

no that it makes any difference, but it would be a good one to shout back at the guffs....

For Messi to be considered best ever he has to win the World Cup with Argentina.

Until then Pele, Maradonna and Zidanne are all ahead of him.

I disagree. While the World Cup was the ultimate achievement I would say that the Champions League is a higher standard than World Cups are nowadays and therefore the requirement for him to win one to be regarded as best ever is not there.

I still would have Diego as top however, his achievements from 1986 and for the next 3-4 years, when he was at his peak, with average to decent sides, which he solely dragged to the levels they achieved are what put him up there. Saying that I think Messi has been more consistent than him and still has time to come in his career.

Be great to get a poll or something going, a list of players, Messi Maradona Pele Zidane Ronaldo Cruyff etc and see what the TAMB's feelings on this are. A majority Messi so far

Where does your shortlist end though? Pele, Maradona, van der Ark and Messi are the cream no doubt. I'd class Zidane, Ronaldo and Cruyff as almost a second tier greatest list. But then you have Di Stefano, Puskas, Eusebio, van Basten. The list is long!

Edited by redstevie007

He doesn't really.

All of England's 66 team better than Law or Dalglish?

Of course not, but Zidanne and Maradonna in particular had a significant hand in their country winning the World Cup. Messi has played in a World Cup Final and failed to make a similar impact.

Not the best ever, yet.

Where does your shortlist end though? Pele, Maradona, van der Ark and Messi are the cream no doubt. I'd class Zidane, Ronaldo and Cruyff as almost a second tier greatest list. But then you have Di Stefano, Puskas, Eusebio, van Basten. The list is long!

As far As I know neither of them have scored against Scotland Either.... or on Scottish Soil..... anyone know if thats true?

no that it makes any difference, but it would be a good one to shout back at the guffs....

Messi scored in the game that celtic beat Barcelona.

As the title says, for me yes. Although I wasn't alive for maradona and pele. Think messi does things that go beyond stats etc that you say people use to back up Cristiano Ronaldo. Last night messi was just brilliant, seen him live twice and both times it felt like I was in the company of greatness!

Not seen any of them in the flesh but from tv footage its

Pele, Maradonna then Messi for me.

He is in their league definately, the player of his generation.

Exactly

Messi is still playing though, so his picture isn't fully painted yet.

And he may go on to surpass Maradona but he's not there yet.

Arguably he's only the third best Argentinian player of all time.