Lionel Messi, Best Ever? - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lionel Messi, Best Ever?

:lol:

Where does your shortlist end though? Pele, Maradona, van der Ark and Messi are the cream no doubt. I'd class Zidane, Ronaldo and Cruyff as almost a second tier greatest list. But then you have Di Stefano, Puskas, Eusebio, van Basten. The list is long!

Agree with you. Anyone who has scored three at Firhill in the Scottish Cup is a shoe-in for this short list.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not seen any of them in the flesh but from tv footage its

Pele, Maradonna then Messi for me.

He is in their league definately, the player of his generation.

Pele is the best at saying he's the best. Never played in Europe and counts goals scored in friendly matches. Way down on the overal list

Pele get's all the press but i saw old tape of Garrincha (sp?) bend a ball like Roberto Carlos and this was in the 50's, plus i think Brazil only ever lost one game he was playing in.

Hardly seen enough of him to make an informed choice but the little i saw he had immense control, and also had bad rickets i think as well. so was playing with legs that weren't ideal.

:lol:

Well noticed sir, if I'd have read the thread through I'd not have bothered commenting as you'd beat me to it ??? Edited by andreimack

Pele get's all the press but i saw old tape of Garrincha (sp?) bend a ball like Roberto Carlos and this was in the 50's, plus i think Brazil only ever lost one game he was playing in.

Hardly seen enough of him to make an informed choice but the little i saw he had immense control, and also had bad rickets i think as well. so was playing with legs that weren't ideal.

I've read/watched stuff about Garrincha pretty much saying he was more highly rated than Pele in Brazil for many, many years (maybe even still now?).

I've read/watched stuff about Garrincha pretty much saying he was more highly rated than Pele in Brazil for many, many years (maybe even still now?).

Yeah, i think it went like Pele is the best Garrincha is better.

Just went to youtube and saw there is documentaries up there, must have a look later. I mind him leaving a trail of folk on their arses as he dribbles round them.

Find it very difficult to compare generation wise which is of course the difficult part. Drop messi into there era's and he'd be 10x as fit, quicker, more professional etc. But give maradona the training and environment of a current day player and he could be even better? Who knows!

Find it very difficult to compare generation wise which is of course the difficult part. Drop messi into there era's and he'd be 10x as fit, quicker, more professional etc. But give maradona the training and environment of a current day player and he could be even better? Who knows!

drop messi into their era and they'd not have the medical know how to treat his condition. So he would probably not be playing football. Or get his leg amputated with a tackle.

Yeah, i think it went like Pele is the best Garrincha is better.

Just went to youtube and saw there is documentaries up there, must have a look later. I mind him leaving a trail of folk on their arses as he dribbles round them.

Garrincha can crack a nudger, Pele canni, story ended.

What about Tom Finney? Shankly always said he was the best.

"Pele was a great player. He must rank one of the best of all time.
I've said that Tommy Finney was the best I've seen and I'd bracket
Pele, Eusebio, Cruyff, Di Stefano and Puskas up there with him."

Edited by phart

drop messi into their era and they'd not have the medical know how to treat his condition. So he would probably not be playing football. Or get his leg amputated with a tackle.

Yeah well thats true i suppose about the medication but you know what I meant! stick him there in his current condition. As for the tackles, think Messi would be fine, Ronaldo on the other hand...

Yeah well thats true i suppose about the medication but you know what I meant! stick him there in his current condition. As for the tackles, think Messi would be fine, Ronaldo on the other hand...

Yeah it would be frightening to watch, you know he'd get snapped though.

The point made about his medical condition is valid.the drugs he utilised are banned in professional sport so he is in postion he would never have been in had he not used them. Had to stop taking them upon turning pro. It made him a bigger, stronger, faster human being. What is the difference between treating a kid with these steroid treatments to become better at a sport than an adult doing it to get the same benefits?

That being said he is a fantastic talent and the footballing world would have missed out on his amazing talent.

Platini was also rated by many as best player in the world in mid1980's when Maradona was at his peak.

Not really, it was more like their careers overlapped. Platini's peak was in the first half of the 80s and Maradona in the second half.

I thought Platini was a fantastic player but I'd say that the French and Juventus teams were much better than the teams Maradona played with.