Eclipse - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“However, people do some very daft things like looking at the sun with their bare eyes, or even worse with a set of binoculars – one easy way to burn your eye out.”

(Please, please, please don't take that advice lightly. You can go permanently blind.)

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/thousands-to-travel-to-scotland-to-see-eclipse-1-3720340

However, people do some very daft things like looking at the sun with their bare eyes, or even worse with a set of binoculars one easy way to burn your eye out.

(Please, please, please don't take that advice lightly. You can go permanently blind.)

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/thousands-to-travel-to-scotland-to-see-eclipse-1-3720340

I look at the sun all the time. Why looking at it covered blind me?

Genuine question btw.

Edited by dandydunn

I'm not getting too excited s the weather forecast is a bit pish.

A 95% eclipse would still be pretty decent to watch but make sure you have a set of the special glasses. Newsagents normally sell them around the time of eclipses. They are not expensive. You should never ever look directly at the sun. It only takes a few seconds to cause severe long term damage. You might not notice the damage immediately if you are tempted to "just have a wee glimpse" but the damage will have been done and you will pay for it later on if not right away.

No thread yet on the event of the week?

Biggest eclipse in Scotland for over 50 years on Friday. Around 95% of the sun will be covered. Could be quite eerie, even if it's cloudy...

Eh? Sure I saw a total eclipse in 1999 or thereabouts

Not in Scotland, it was only about 80% eclipsed in Glasgow.

You had to go to Cornwall for totality although continental Europe had a great view IIRC...

well 95% should be pretty spectacular if what I saw was only 80%. Remember the temperature plummeting and the birds going daft