Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside. - Page 46 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside.

Speirs  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was Speirs talking the truth or lying

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

I'd agree with that. I can't wait till a 3-4 years in the future when we can start thinking of McCoist the legend again as opposed to the embarrassment he currently is.

Here's a thought though. Place McCoist on gardening leave. Get shot of McCulloch, Black, Smith, Simonsen, Shiels, Templeton. That'll free up the guts of £40K for a group of players who on the whole wouldn't be missed. From that £40K a week (£2M pa) go out and get a young, hungry manager. Maybe use the remaining senior pros like Miller in a coaching capacity. Then we have a new management team without actually having to pay McCoist off with no financial hit.

but fairbairn I am sure most of the players above have contracts through next year and incremental ones at that. so that would cost you a fortune in compensation. most of these guys only joined for the cash so they are unlikely to leave without it.

but fairbairn I am sure most of the players above have contracts through next year and incremental ones at that. so that would cost you a fortune in compensation. most of these guys only joined for the cash so they are unlikely to leave without it.

You're right if they have a contract you can't just sack them.

I'm pretty sure all the ones I've mentioned have contracts that expire at the end of this season. It'd be a short term hit for a long term gain. Although we're probably not in a position to be able to absorb a short term hit I suppose.

If I remember rightly it wasn't that big a lead. Think it might have been 12 points at one stage but Celtic had 2 games in hand?

That's my recollection too, one of the games in hand being at home to whoever was bottom of the league at the time too (plus two old firm games at Parkheid and only one at Ibrox) but those facts rather tarnish the historical amusement of the story so are often conveniently omitted...

McCoist must go, by the way.

By the week before administration Celtic were 10 points ahead. That is a huge swing in a 12 week period whether we had games in hand or not.

By the week before administration Celtic were 10 points ahead. That is a huge swing in a 12 week period whether we had games in hand or not.

Indeed. I'm not making excuses for McCoist but when Admin did happen it wasn't exactly a surprise. It had been lurking in the background for months and that must have had an effect on the players regardless of what they said at the time. As well as the uncertainty at the time a couple of the more mercenary ones probably had one eye on their next move that would result from it as well.

McCoist must go, by the way.

If he's going to stay & they can't sack him, surely he needs to at least take some steps that might win over fans?

Drop that numpty Moshni, play McGregor (their only decent CB) at CB, drop Big Lee, Black, Miller & give guys like Templeton & Clarke a run? I know McLeod is crocked, but are there any other youngsters doing anything? Also, the standard of fitba is so primitive - get the bas & boot it somewhere. It can't be that difficult to cut that nonsense out. Also, play at a far higher tempo & press more - there can't be any excuse for not doing that as they should be much fitter than any other Championship side.

I was amazed how bad Hearts were last weekend - they surely will slip up at some stage? It's not exactly an impossible task.

Sounds like I'm sticking up for him (obviously I find this sidesplitting & want him to stay), but I'm just trying to give a different opinion.

If he's going to stay & they can't sack him, surely he needs to at least take some steps that might win over fans?

Drop that numpty Moshni, play McGregor (their only decent CB) at CB, drop Big Lee, Black, Miller & give guys like Templeton & Clarke a run? I know McLeod is crocked, but are there any other youngsters doing anything? Also, the standard of fitba is so primitive - get the bas & boot it somewhere. It can't be that difficult to cut that nonsense out. Also, play at a far higher tempo & press more - there can't be any excuse for not doing that as they should be much fitter than any other Championship side.

I was amazed how bad Hearts were last weekend - they surely will slip up at some stage? It's not exactly an impossible task.

Sounds like I'm sticking up for him (obviously I find this sidesplitting & want him to stay), but I'm just trying to give a different opinion.

I agree with dropping Moshni, Black and probably McCulloch. Also agree that Clarke should get a run in the team. Templeton however had had umpteen chances and has struggled to be as good as pish in just about every one of them. He''d be the first one out the door for me.

Miller at 44 or whatever age he is still looks our best player (McLeod excepted) anytime I've seen him play this season.

I agree with dropping Moshni, Black and probably McCulloch. Also agree that Clarke should get a run in the team. Templeton however had had umpteen chances and has struggled to be as good as pish in just about every one of them. He''d be the first one out the door for me.

Miller at 44 or whatever age he is still looks our best player (McLeod excepted) anytime I've seen him play this season.

I don't see that many games, but I remember Templeton being a good player, so assume it's still there somewhere. Sheils as well. At least they're both players that would encourage playing the ball on the ground?

I thought Millertime would be a good signing on the basis the last time I watched him was the England game. However, the sands of time look to have caught up with him big time. In the St Johnstone game, it was all summed up: through on goal, took a terrible first touch & he never had the pace to rescue the situation, which he might have done years ago.

Boyd & Clarke were getting praised earlier when they were on a decent run. Even though he wasn't scoring, Boyd's overall game seemed to improve at Killie. Maybe he's just a slightly different player now? He'll still score his fair share over the course.

As I say, this is just from the outside looking in. There look to me to be some fairly obvious ways to improve things - whether McCoist can see it is another matter!

I don't see that many games, but I remember Templeton being a good player, so assume it's still there somewhere. Sheils as well. At least they're both players that would encourage playing the ball on the ground?

I thought Millertime would be a good signing on the basis the last time I watched him was the England game. However, the sands of time look to have caught up with him big time. In the St Johnstone game, it was all summed up: through on goal, took a terrible first touch & he never had the pace to rescue the situation, which he might have done years ago.

Boyd & Clarke were getting praised earlier when they were on a decent run. Even though he wasn't scoring, Boyd's overall game seemed to improve at Killie. Maybe he's just a slightly different player now? He'll still score his fair share over the course.

As I say, this is just from the outside looking in. There look to me to be some fairly obvious ways to improve things - whether McCoist can see it is another matter!

Boyd's work rate has undoubtedly improved from his first spell with us. The ironic thing is that in that first spell fans were on his back for not working hard enough and "all he does is score goals". Now he is actually contributing a lot more to the team he's getting slated for not scoring enough goals. He's still getting in the positions though so I've no doubt that once he gets on a bit of run he'll start banging them in.

I've no doubt that Templeton is a good player and we've seen it in flashes however it's nowhere near often enough and he's one of the ones that I'd say falls in to the attitude rather than ability as the reason for his continued malaise. In fairness to Sheils he's never really had a decent enough run in the team to find any sort of form although he hasn't really offered much either.

Your description of Miller "through on goal, took a terrible first touch & he never had the pace to rescue the situation" is pretty much what I remember of him when he was in his pomp! :wink2:

Not someone I'd often recommend but Andrew Snith writes a reasonably interesting article in today's Scotsman. Don't suppose he ever was, but certainly won't be on McCoist's Cristmas card list in future. He compares the record of Rangers and QoS over the past few seasons and and relative spend on players - £2m against £22m. In fact McCoist has taken almost as much out of his club in wages during that time as QoS have spent on what he refers to the football dept. He gets an easy ride in the press considering the job he has done. That said, if QoS beat Hearts tomorrow, and Rangers win against Cowsenbeath the mood music will change again.

yeah we were, got a few players back tomorrow so we will only be missing Sow, Gomis and McHattie.

Got QOS home, Cowdenbeath away, Alloa home and Livingston away to finish the year and take us to the halfway point

Rangers have Cowdenbeath home, QOS away, Livi home and Hibs away

would hope to still be 9 points clear by the halfway point

yeah we were, got a few players back tomorrow so we will only be missing Sow, Gomis and McHattie.

Got QOS home, Cowdenbeath away, Alloa home and Livingston away to finish the year and take us to the halfway point

Rangers have Cowdenbeath home, QOS away, Livi home and Hibs away

would hope to still be 9 points clear by the halfway point

If anything I could see Hearts further ahead looking at those fixtures, Palmerston and Easter road will be tricky for rangers.

Whereas I'd imagine Hearts could take a support to livi that will turn that into a home game, and the rest would all be bankers on most folks coupon.

says he's still a bear

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/craig-whyte-reveals-he-s-still-a-fan-of-rangers-1-3626287

FORMER Rangers owner Craig Whyte today gave the club a vote of confidence - and said he still a fan.

Mr Whyte said it was inevitable that Rangers would return to the top of Scottish football.

And he said he would always be a supporter.

Mr Whyte was speaking after leaving the High Court in London where he had appeared for the latest hearing of a legal dispute he is involved in with a ticketing firm.

Reporters asked if he thought that Rangers would return to the top.

He said ‘inevitably’.

Asked if he was still a fan and would always support the club, he replied ‘of course’ and ‘yes’.

A judge had adjourned proceedings in Mr Whyte’s dispute with Ticketus.

Mr Justice Newey said complaints against Mr Whyte would be examined at a later date.

281841370.jpg

Not someone I'd often recommend but Andrew Snith writes a reasonably interesting article in today's Scotsman. Don't suppose he ever was, but certainly won't be on McCoist's Cristmas card list in future. He compares the record of Rangers and QoS over the past few seasons and and relative spend on players - £2m against £22m. In fact McCoist has taken almost as much out of his club in wages during that time as QoS have spent on what he refers to the football dept. He gets an easy ride in the press considering the job he has done. That said, if QoS beat Hearts tomorrow, and Rangers win against Cowsenbeath the mood music will change again.

Similar point coud be made about Gretna who stormed up the leagues spending only a fraction of the wages and fees that we've spent.

Police extend probe into Rangers saga as Charles Green's buy-out of Ibrox club comes under the spotlight

AS well as investigating why Green was selected as preferred bidder when he took over at Ibrox in 2012, police want to know where large sums of money disappeared to during the Yorkshireman's reign at Ibrox.

DETECTIVES have widened their investigations into the Rangers saga to probe the Charles Green buy-out and a subsequent £70million cash burn.

Record Sport can reveal officers last week spent two days in London interviewing key individuals linked to Green’s chaotic reign.

It’s understood former chairman Malcolm Murray was one of those quizzed as a witness by the cops – who recently charged former owner Craig Whyte with fraud as part of a separate investigation into his initial takeover .

Green appointed Murray to the Ibrox board within days of completing his controversial £5.5m purchase of the club’s assets in a deal with administrators Duff and Phelps.

But the pair clashed repeatedly behind the scenes and Murray survived a number of attempted boardroom coups before finally being replaced as chairman by former manager Walter Smith in May 2013.

During this time Yorkshire businessman Green launched a hugely successful IPO raising more than £22m from selling new shares to institutional investors as well as Rangers supporters.

Now, as well as investigating why Green was selected as preferred bidder in the first place, the police want to know where large sums of that money disappeared to over the course of the next few months.

Earlier this year former Rangers chief executive Graham Wallace, as part of a 120-day business review, calculated that almost £70m had been spent by the club in the 18-month period following Green’s takeover.