Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside. - Page 190 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside.

Speirs  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was Speirs talking the truth or lying

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

Why would they not want a Europa League spot? That's the next step if the club is to progress, surely?

I think the non-Rangers fans on here are blinkered in their praise of Ashley. He does bring a certain stability but no ambition and no interest in the football quality.

He also tells the fans nothing which is only slightly better than constant BS in my opinion. Not someone I'd trust in the long term if things went wrong on the pitch.

In the EPL, the Europa League is seen as something of a poisoned chalice for a few reasons.

The number of additional games that you play put strains on your squad, the amount of money available is limited and arguably you may at best break even and it forces you to play a large number of your games on a Sunday which has an impact on attendances and TV revenues.

Quite a few clubs who have qualified for the Europa League have had poorer seasons in the League following that. From memory this has been the case with Spurs, Newcastle and Everton this season. Whether this is the only reason is debatable but that's certainly the perception. It seems to be a particular problem with teams that get a UEFA spot through the league rather than through one of the cups and who would be looking to kick on next season to try and break into the CL spots. It's almost that by doing well in the league, teams have an additional barrier put in place that stops them progressing.

Newcastle under Ashley seem to be something of an anomaly as he seems to be completely uninterested in any level of on the field success. Outwith the top four clubs, I think most EPL teams would take a win in the Europa League - or one of the domestic cups - for a poor league campaign with the caveat that they don't get relegated.

Outwith the top four clubs, I think most EPL teams would take a win in the Europa League - or one of the domestic cups - for a poor league campaign with the caveat that they don't get relegated.

The problem with that is the 65 games you'd have to play to win the Europa league.

I think the introduction of a champions league place for the winners is a step in the right direction, but they have to reduce the number of teams! I'd suggest they do this by stopping teams parachuting in from the champions league.

It's a vicious cycle, as the top clubs have squads that can cope with 60+ games a season, the next level down don't, so success on one front is usually at the expense of mediocrity or worse on another making it very difficult to go to the next level without a sugar daddy, which they can't do due to FFP.

:lol:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/488327/Newcastle-strike-13m-deal-for-France-star-Remy-Cabella.

Given Cabella's form the previous season with Montpellier I would seriously doubt Newcastle got him for £7m. But lets not quibble over a few £m here or there and agree they spent £30m or more? And the point is they did spend money, a decent sum, on players.

So it wasn't £35M then.....

I did say "about £35m". :wink2:

Newcastle under Ashley seem to be something of an anomaly as he seems to be completely uninterested in any level of on the field success. Outwith the top four clubs, I think most EPL teams would take a win in the Europa League - or one of the domestic cups - for a poor league campaign with the caveat that they don't get relegated.

The biggest gripe is undoubtedly the diktat from Ashley that Newcastle will not field a full strength side in the cups. When you look at some of the (comparable) sides who have made the cup finals, or even won the cups in the last few years, it shows you what is possible. A cup final appearance will be remembered long after a 12th place league finish.

Why would they not want a Europa League spot? That's the next step if the club is to progress, surely?

I think the non-Rangers fans on here are blinkered in their praise of Ashley. He does bring a certain stability but no ambition and no interest in the football quality.

He also tells the fans nothing which is only slightly better than constant BS in my opinion. Not someone I'd trust in the long term if things went wrong on the pitch.

With a CL place up for grabs for the winner of the Europa & a bit more money being involved now, attitudes might change. However, it's seen as games most managers involved down there could do without.

To be fair, Ashley has spent plenty on players. I think it's reasonable enough the books are balanced though.

With a CL place up for grabs for the winner of the Europa & a bit more money being involved now, attitudes might change. However, it's seen as games most managers involved down there could do without.

Yeah, but as I said a few posts back, it's a long road!

I'd say come the last 16 or thereabouts teams would be crazy not to take it seriously, but even then if they have a good chance of qualifying via league position, that's a safer bet than a knockout tournament, if they are mid table and relegation isn't a big threat, then they can go for it, but that's quite a lot of stars that have to align for a club from the EPL (in particular) to make it a priority.

It's a sad state of affairs, as are weakened teams in the FA cup, the league cup was bad enough.

What's the point in fighting all season to finish in a europa league spot, to then not take it seriously to finish 6th again and repeat.

Very frustrating for the fans.

Streamlining the European competitions might help?

Regarding the Europa League when Stoke were in it a few years back if they had got to the final and lost they wouldn't have made as much money during the whole competition than if they had finished one place higher in the league (14th to 13th from memory).

I went to Valencia where Stoke played reserves due to playing Norwich and Swansea at home either side so wanted 6 points more than progress in the cup.

Edited by ThistleWhistle

Yeah, but as I said a few posts back, it's a long road!

I'd say come the last 16 or thereabouts teams would be crazy not to take it seriously, but even then if they have a good chance of qualifying via league position, that's a safer bet than a knockout tournament, if they are mid table and relegation isn't a big threat, then they can go for it, but that's quite a lot of stars that have to align for a club from the EPL (in particular) to make it a priority.

It's a sad state of affairs, as are weakened teams in the FA cup, the league cup was bad enough.

What's the point in fighting all season to finish in a europa league spot, to then not take it seriously to finish 6th again and repeat.

Very frustrating for the fans.

Streamlining the European competitions might help?

The TV money down in the EPL means just staying in the league is all that matters to the vast majority of clubs

As much as fans might want a domestic cup or Europa League win, the bottom line is the league money is all club owners care about.

The Newcastle fans who moan about Ashley might want to think about where they were before he arrived & where they are now.

The Newcastle fans who moan about Ashley might want to think about where they were before he arrived & where they are now.

Ashley took over at the end of the 2006/7 season, Newcastle finished 13th that season, they are now 12th.

Rangers are currently without a Nominated Advisor (nomad), which is required for a company listed on the AIM part of the Stock Exchange and would lose their listing without one after a certain period of time.

Bick said he expected interim chairman Paul Murray and the rest of the new board members to find a new nomad before the deadline of Saturday, April 4, with business needing to be concluded before the Easter weekend, on either Thursday or Friday.

http://m.skysports.com/article/football//9783297