Series Worth Watching - Page 82 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

On 5/21/2022 at 12:46 PM, slasher said:

This Is Us coming to a conclusion next week. Hankies at the ready @TDYER63?

Watched the penultimate episode of This Is Us  on Sunday. ‘The Train’. 
😱😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

I dont think I have ever cried at any TV show as much in my entire life. Even sadder than Love Story, The Champ, Les Mis finale and the finale in Carousel when Billy’s ghost attends his daughters graduation to a rousing rendition of You’ll Never Walk Alone 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😂😭😭😭😭

Apologies for any spoilers for that 1956 film. 

On 6/7/2022 at 6:06 PM, TDYER63 said:

Watched the penultimate episode of This Is Us  on Sunday. ‘The Train’. 
😱😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

I dont think I have ever cried at any TV show as much in my entire life. Even sadder than Love Story, The Champ, Les Mis finale and the finale in Carousel when Billy’s ghost attends his daughters graduation to a rousing rendition of You’ll Never Walk Alone 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😂😭😭😭😭

Apologies for any spoilers for that 1956 film. 

Aaah yar past the worst. The final episode is not as heart rending as that yin imo. You’ll probably still be greeting like a big Jessie right enough 😂

Pistols on Disney, really enjoyed it, an insight into the late 70s. I was too young to remember it, but I do remember being scared of punks.

Started Bosch, his daughter is still doing my head in 

I was definitely scared of the punks that used to hang out on that little alcove on Union St / Union Terrace Gardens in Aberdeen as a nipper in the 70's. I bet if we could back in  time and meet them now they'd be a right bunch of soft poser arseholes. 😀

21 hours ago, thplinth said:

I was definitely scared of the punks that used to hang out on that little alcove on Union St / Union Terrace Gardens in Aberdeen as a nipper in the 70's. I bet if we could back in  time and meet them now they'd be a right bunch of soft poser arseholes. 😀

Aye, yer probably right, I used to go to the dancing at Glasgow poly on a Friday night, all yer alternative music played, if you were pogo-ing to the dead Kennedys and fell the scary punks were the first ones to pick you up 

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Not a series but just about to watch Ricky Gervais latest stand up show on netflix.

Apparently he caused some controversy

first time i have watched any of his stuff ,, its actually really good and passed time on the nightshift out here, a bit rough but good,, woke mob will be going ape shit 

5 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

first time i have watched any of his stuff ,, its actually really good and passed time on the nightshift out here, a bit rough but good,, woke mob will be going ape shit 

Same for me. I'd only ever seen the golden globes monologue from 2020.

Very refreshing to see a comedian not give a fuck again.

On 6/12/2022 at 6:15 AM, vanderark14 said:

Same for me. I'd only ever seen the golden globes monologue from 2020.

Very refreshing to see a comedian not give a fuck again.

Thought it started off quite well and then tailed off towards the end.  His other Netflix special, Humanity, is also really good and is old stand up show, Politics, is one of the best I've seen.

2 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

just finished season 6 of peaky blinders - almost a parody of it's former self

pity as i really enjoyed most of the previous seasons ; not sure when it lost its way ?

I gave up around series 4. It was when they started relying on slow motion posturing and loud music to disguise the poor scripts. Really enjoyed it before then. 

7 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Giving the wire a chance. Loads of people tell me it's one of the best series ever. 

THE best ever. Stick with it though, a few people I know have struggled with the dialect in the first couple of episodes but it’s worth riding it out. 

5 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

THE best ever. Stick with it though, a few people I know have struggled with the dialect in the first couple of episodes but it’s worth riding it out. 

That's a bold statement FB. Sopranos and band of brothers are yet to be beaten for me

18 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

That's a bold statement FB. Sopranos and band of brothers are yet to be beaten for me

It’s not even close for me. I’ve seen it all the way through multiple times (I think it’s 3, might be 4) and fancy going in again shortly. 

3 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

It’s not even close for me. I’ve seen it all the way through multiple times (I think it’s 3, might be 4) and fancy going in again shortly. 

I've watched the wire 3 times, it is absolutely superb.

I loved breaking bad but have tried twice to get in to better call Saul and its just no happening 

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

That would be me. Lasted to about episode 6 but gave up, it was too much effort for the enjoyment I was getting from it. If there wasn’t so much choice out there I would maybe have stuck with it , but its like reading a book, if it doesn’t grab me in the first 3 or 4 chapters I dont stick around  as there are so many others to choose from. 

Off-topic but hardly worth starting a new thread... I noticed on Prime that you've got access to the whole James Bond collection.  I decided to revisit a few of the old classic ones I haven't seen for years.  Complete and utter tripe.  Sexist garbage with pathetic ham acting and relying on scantily-clad actresses to cover for the fact there's little in the way of a plot.  Except Live And Let Die of course - that'll always be the mutt's nuts.

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

just re watched BoB with my son ; it is top notch - i didnt have Sky (or whatever) when Sopranos came out - have only ever seen (loads) of clips and individual episodes - although i do have full access now .....

i was a big Boardwalk Empire fan (DVDs from library for some seasons) again full access

as much as i like (usually prefer) all the violent ; war/gangster stuff - i feel Mad Men is my favourite to date = of series ive actually watched through

i gave up with GoT 2 shows into Season 2 ; but really enjoyed "Rome" - its strange as loads of shows - Spartacus & the Viking one ? dabble in real history but dumb it down to such a level feel its unwatchable

6 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I gave up around series 4. It was when they started relying on slow motion posturing and loud music to disguise the poor scripts. Really enjoyed it before then. 

that ll be it then - i recall the slow mo street scene when all the women walked down the street as my wtf moment