Series Worth Watching - Page 87 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

• 4 weeks later...

@TDYER63I was on a plane recently so watched a recommendation of yours - Les Intouchables (Untouchable). It's been out 11 years and I hadn't heard of it. Really enjoyed it, laughed out loud a few times but a nice film overall.

The abstract painting scene in particular made me laugh as I thought of a small friend of ours that I'm sure would have appreciated that paintingĀ šŸ˜¹Ā @exiletoo!Ā 

A series I'd recommend is Blackbird on Apple TV. First episode I wasn't sure but was gripped halfway through the second. Only 6 episodes so a quick one to get through. I won't give too much away but it's based on a true story of a drug dealer 7 months into his prison sentence. He's offered a commuted sentence by the FBI if he'll transfer into a facility for the criminally insane and obtains some information from an inmate there.Ā Worth a watch.

Screenshot 2022-10-24 at 11.42.20.png

5 hours ago, Bobster said:

@TDYER63I was on a plane recently so watched a recommendation of yours - Les Intouchables (Untouchable). It's been out 11 years and I hadn't heard of it. Really enjoyed it, laughed out loud a few times but a nice film overall.

The abstract painting scene in particular made me laugh as I thought of a small friend of ours that I'm sure would have appreciated that paintingĀ šŸ˜¹Ā @exiletoo!Ā 

A series I'd recommend is Blackbird on Apple TV. First episode I wasn't sure but was gripped halfway through the second. Only 6 episodes so a quick one to get through. I won't give too much away but it's based on a true story of a drug dealer 7 months into his prison sentence. He's offered a commuted sentence by the FBI if he'll transfer into a facility for the criminally insane and obtains some information from an inmate there.Ā Worth a watch.

Screenshot 2022-10-24 at 11.42.20.png

Glad you enjoyed it Bobster . Ā I seen it on a plane too. That was 9 years ago, the last time I was on a flight posh enough to show a film šŸ˜ I think I mentioned before that I had had a couple of drinks before I put the film on and restarted it 3 times as I kept choosing the wrong language šŸ˜Ā 

And yes , that small friend would definitely appreciate the painting šŸ˜‚ It was a good film. I remember laughing so much at the party with all the boring relatives.

Thanks for the Blackbird recommendation. Will watch that once we have finished The Capture on BBC iplayer, which I am enjoying.Ā 

Finished House of the Dragon and thought it was excellent.Ā  Not quite as expansive as GOT but has a lot of similarities (obvs) and gets better as the season progresses.Ā  Last ep was great and set up nicely for S2 although that's apparently not till 2024!

Capture on the iPlayer was good but like a lot of things these days was probably about 2 episodes longer than it needed to be.Ā  And finished the Dahmer thing on Netflix the other night.Ā  Not sure if anyone is aware but that guy was Fucked. Up!Ā  A good if very disturbing watch (although also about 2 episodes too long).

Started The Walk In on ITV last night.Ā  Stephen Graham drama around the true story of far right groups in the UK in and around the murder of Jo Cox.Ā  Promising start.

Edited by Fairbairn

On 10/25/2022 at 2:19 PM, Fairbairn said:

Finished House of the Dragon and thought it was excellent.Ā  Not quite as expansive as GOT but has a lot of similarities (obvs) and gets better as the season progresses.Ā  Last ep was great and set up nicely for S2 although that's apparently not till 2024!

Capture on the iPlayer was good but like a lot of things these days was probably about 2 episodes longer than it needed to be.Ā  And finished the Dahmer thing on Netflix the other night.Ā  Not sure if anyone is aware but that guy was Fucked. Up!Ā  A good if very disturbing watch (although also about 2 episodes too long).

Started The Walk In on ITV last night.Ā  Stephen Graham drama around the true story of far right groups in the UK in and around the murder of Jo Cox.Ā  Promising start.

Totally agree with on House of the dragon. It was a slow but good start IMO. Genuinely didn't expect that ending but it was greatĀ 

Was watching some good programs on the BBC Iplayer in the last week.

Three compelling Scottish true crime documentaries on - "The Hunt for Bible John", "The Hunt for the World's End Killers" and "The Ice Cream Wars" - all well worth a watch. Got the distinct feeling that a couple of people in the latter film still knew more than they were letting on regarding the murder of the Doyles.

There's also a fascinating (at times quite funny) new documentary about James Joyce and his groundbreaking novel Ulysses and a repeat of a beautiful documentary about T. S. Eliot if anyone is interested.

Is that new series about the SAS in Second World War any good ?

9 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Three compelling Scottish true crime documentaries on - "The Hunt for Bible John", "The Hunt for the World's End Killers" and "The Ice Cream Wars" - all well worth a watch. Got the distinct feeling that a couple of people in the latter film still knew more than they were letting on regarding the murder of the Doyles.

There's also a fascinating (at times quite funny) new documentary about James Joyce and his groundbreaking novel Ulysses and a repeat of a beautiful documentary about T. S. Eliot if anyone is interested.

Saw a couple of episodes on Ice Cream Wars which was quite interesting.

I recall at the time sometimes seeing stuff on the news but didn't know much else about it.

45 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I've watched the first episode of the sas rogues heroes. Good so far, I've been reading a little about the founders of the SAS, they do sounds fucking wild like series portays them as

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I've watched the first episode of the sas rogues heroes. Good so far, I've been reading a little about the founders of the SAS, they do sounds fucking wild like series portays them as

Thanks, I'll need to give that a watch very soon then. The trailer certainly looked good.

I just noticed that there is also a new three part documentary giving the actual historical background to the dramatisation.

One thing I tried to get into was the repeats of "Bob Servant Independent" (on BBC Scotland Iplayer) but I didn't find it funny at all.

1 hour ago, fringo said:

Saw a couple of episodes on Ice Cream Wars which was quite interesting.

I recall at the time sometimes seeing stuff on the news but didn't know much else about it.

Really enjoyed it, also thought it was very informative, when they knocked down all the slums in the city centre and moved the masses into ā€œschemesā€ on the city outskirts they never really built any infrastructure.

No bus routes, no shops and no pubs, so it made sense why the ice cream vans became so important as a money making machine.

Also as a Paisley lad growing up Iā€™d be about 18 when all this was going on, I was always confused as to why so many of the pubs in Paisley at the weekend were full of Glasgow revellers coming thru for a night out, reason being all the nutters in the Glasgow schemes had no local pubs as they all still went into the city making it a war zone, so normal folk looking for a night out came into Paisley to get away, it really was a cracking place for a night out when I was a youngster.Ā 

6 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

Really enjoyed it, also thought it was very informative, when they knocked down all the slums in the city centre and moved the masses into ā€œschemesā€ on the city outskirts they never really built any infrastructure.

No bus routes, no shops and no pubs, so it made sense why the ice cream vans became so important as a money making machine.

Also as a Paisley lad growing up Iā€™d be about 18 when all this was going on, I was always confused as to why so many of the pubs in Paisley at the weekend were full of Glasgow revellers coming thru for a night out, reason being all the nutters in the Glasgow schemes had no local pubs as they all still went into the city making it a war zone, so normal folk looking for a night out came into Paisley to get away, it really was a cracking place for a night out when I was a youngster.Ā 

That was something else I never knew until I saw the episodes.

23 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I enjoyed the first episode enough for me to watch then rest of the series on iplayer over next 2 nights.

Some great music too e.g. AC/DC.

23 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Thanks, I'll need to give that a watch very soon then. The trailer certainly looked good.

I just noticed that there is also a new three part documentary giving the actual historical background to the dramatisation.

One thing I tried to get into was the repeats of "Bob Servant Independent" (on BBC Scotland Iplayer) but I didn't find it funny at all.

What's the documentary called ?

24 minutes ago, fringo said:

What's the documentary called ?

SAS: Rogue Warriors

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b08f00r9/sas-rogue-warriors

I was wrong about it being new, it was first broadcast back in 2017 but It's got interviews with several of the founding members, including David Stirling. Very interesting.

On 11/2/2022 at 2:19 PM, vanderark14 said:

sounds a bit of debate over DS - that he created the legend himself in his book in the 70sĀ  ; his brother and more importantly Paddy Mayne were more deserving of credit , and Sterlings perfomance during early raids were not comparable - this was only from a history podcast about a book on this subject - unless the author was making it all up ?

ive only seen the preview of the show - first thing that put me off , was the boy band haircuts and designer sunglasses - any photos ive seen of LRDG etc , all fully bearded and sunglasses usually sealed at side (sandstorms ?)