Scottish Constituency Polling Thread - Page 12 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Constituency Polling Thread

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is that? Does anyone really know? Bunch of absolute weirdos.

Sigh...

You're really helping, thanks.

Orkney and Shetland are culturally different from the rest of Scotland. And a lot of people up there don't see a parliament 300 miles away as any different to one eight hundred miles away.

Not sure if anyone has posted this, but makes for some nice reading:

http://electoralcalculus.co.uk/conlist_scot.html

If only all this was true.

Complacency, and the capacity of the Dirty Brigade to spring some nasty surprises, are factors the SNP has to take into account.

One thing that struck me reading through this list was how many MPs’ names I didn’t know. I used to be more politically anoracky, and I admit I don’t watch / read as much political news as I used to, but even so the number of names I saw and went “Nope, never heard of him/her” was depressing. A lot of lobby fodder there.

Another thing to guard against is a big SNP contingent being similarly anonymous. That said, I agree the bigger picture is what matters, not whether some MP gets a lot of airtime. Smash the system first.

Edited by Padre Andrew

Great SNP candidate for East Dunbartonshire in John Nicolsson. Real opportunity to knock Jo swinson and lib Dems out

He also stood in Midlothian, but lost to a local councillor. Thought he was an excellent candidate. A really good speaker, which is only to be expected given his previous job in the media.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest flumax

Meh, these polls dont take postals into account.

Remember, a postal vote is a vote for labour. Don't vote by post!

...I actually will vote by post but I'm genuinely hesitant about it.

So why do you postal vote? If you've access issues get a trusted proxy. Edited by flumax

So why do you postal vote? If you've access issues get a trusted proxy.

I am not as concerned about abuse of postal votes as I used to be. I am sure there will still be some dead and senile folk voting without knowing about it, but for most folk just using a postal vote for convenience, I don't see what the problem is. I would be interested to see any evidence which shows that there is a problem though, if anybody has got it.

The fact that Ruth Davidson and Co had open access to postal votes in the referendum is all I need to know about postal voting. It doesn't matter if fraud did or did not happen, the perception is that it could. You won't see me using a postal vote.

They didn't have open access to the postal votes and in fact there would have been Yes representatives there at the same time to ensure that there was nothing untoward going on when the postal ballots were being verified.

The fact that Ruth Davidson and Co had open access to postal votes in the referendum is all I need to know about postal voting. It doesn't matter if fraud did or did not happen, the perception is that it could. You won't see me using a postal vote.

I think I've read enough about that episode to convince me no electoral fraud went on there. YES supporters saw the same piles of postal votes that the NO folk saw. They just didn't go boasting about it live on TV.

I am genuinely interested in any evidence anybody has over fraud surrounding postal votes though. Other than the "dead persons voting" scam which I know does happen.

I think I've read enough about that episode to convince me no electoral fraud went on there. YES supporters saw the same piles of postal votes that the NO folk saw. They just didn't go boasting about it live on TV.

I am genuinely interested in any evidence anybody has over fraud surrounding postal votes though. Other than the "dead persons voting" scam which I know does happen.

As I said, it doesnt matter if any actual fraud took place. That they were able to survey the verification and allowed themselves to gauge voting patterns, is in itself a major breach of confidence in the process. Don't confuse me with anyone who claims the referendum was rigged, because Im not. But you won't convince me postal voting is a safe and secret vote.

As I said, it doesnt matter if any actual fraud took place. That they were able to survey the verification and allowed themselves to gauge voting patterns, is in itself a major breach of confidence in the process. Don't confuse me with anyone who claims the referendum was rigged, because Im not. But you won't convince me postal voting is a safe and secret vote.

i agree it isn't secret but then neither is voting at a polling station.

If folk know how this fraud works then maybe we can do something (even in a small way) to try to prevent it.

i agree it isn't secret but then neither is voting at a polling station.

Hmmm. In what way is it not secret? I can't comment on how to work out someone's vote after the event, but there is no way to survey actual votes and influence the outcome of the campaign as by that point it's too late. If anyone can survey postal votes, whether that be Yes, No, Labour, SNP, whatever with a few weeks til polling day, the system is unfit for purpose. And it's why Ruth Davidson, etc are being interviewed by Police Scotland.

I'm renting a flat in Newcastle just now. Lots of mail for previous tenants comes into post box. I just wonder how many of them are on the electoral list at this address. It just struck me how easy it would be for the likes of MI5 or some other government agency to cross-reference the electoral list with addresses and determine how many people are on the electoral list but no longer at the address. Then intercept the post or postal vote and turn it to their own advantage. Way too easy and subject to fraud.

There were a few cases of personation during the referendum so its not just limited to postal votes.

Its not MI5 or the security services who are up to no good with this, it's local constituency parties.