Coalition Scenarios - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Just seen a tweet from a Labour party member in Scotland bemoaning the fact that Milliband has refused to rule out a deal with the SNP. Perhaps he was hoping he would, as going by the polls that looks like their best chance of curtailing the haemorrhaging of their support to the SNP. I think Millband is being more pragmatic though.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More scenarios (Lab/SNP and Lab/Con)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/general-election-2015-what-a-future-coalition-could-look-like-10092273.html

Green party held talks on alliance with SNP and Plaid Cymru

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/06/green-party-talks-alliance-snp-plaid-cymru-caroline-lucas-labour-coalition

And in case anyone missed it,

"The terrifying prospect of the Scots ruling England is now all too real" - Max Hastings in the Mail:

Refers to Nicola Sturgeon's 'tartan army' :lol:
Concludes "a historic tragedy beckons for the UK" and the backlash will be "bitter indeed" and predicts "a storm will break".
Doom indeed. But if England votes Tory and Scotland is imposed upon as usual, presumably that is not a problem.
Edited by exile

It's funny. For two years we were told we were 'better together'; that we were one big happy family of nations with a nation with so much in common and a rich, shared history; to consider the ordinary working-class fold of insert name of some random provincial English shitehole; "Scotland, stay with us!". But as soon as it looks like we might actually have some effect on how things are run - panic stations!

The United Kingdom: loves Scotland, hates the Scots.

It's funny. For two years we were told we were 'better together'; that we were one big happy family of nations with a nation with so much in common and a rich, shared history; to consider the ordinary working-class fold of insert name of some random provincial English shitehole; "Scotland, stay with us!". But as soon as it looks like we might actually have some effect on how things are run - panic stations!

The United Kingdom: loves Scotland, hates the Scots.

Your last sentence captures it perfectly.

J

Every news report and newspaper report is just wondrous. Get it right up them. How very dare we?

Absolutely!

This is a brilliant compensation for losing the referendum.

I'm enjoying it. Not nearly as much as I'd have enjoyed winning, but I'm enjoying it hugely

Ironic isn't it that the powers down south feel fear at being held to account by a bunch of MPs they never voted for.

Where's the pooling and sharing resources, best of both worlds and certainty trumpeted by Better Together now eh.

I wouldnt be surprised if a fair few of the 55% are now in the SNP camp as the true colours are being clearly shown.

Indeed , Scotland has never ever had this coverage. They are shiiting bricks. Loving it.

Its the tone more than anything, patronising, condescending, arrogance, astonishment and above all their feeling of entitlement being eroded.

Wonderful , fukk them.

• 2 weeks later...

Scotland’s election result is the single factor most likely to shape the next government. No combination of parties would have the required numbers without the votes of the SNP

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/datablog/2015/mar/20/general-election-lessons-scotland-political-history

"Scotland was already partying. It’s just that nobody noticed"

Scotland’s election result is the single factor most likely to shape the next government. No combination of parties would have the required numbers without the votes of the SNP

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/datablog/2015/mar/20/general-election-lessons-scotland-political-history

"Scotland was already partying. It’s just that nobody noticed"

Very interesting read. Something I hadn't thought about before just clicked. If we assume (big assumption) that the polls are correct for the rest of the UK, then it doesn't seem to matter too much if the number of SNP seats has been exaggerated. If SNP don't win all those seats it will be mainly because Labour have held onto them. So, the overall numbers are the same. As long as SNP get a block of about 20 seats (much more realistic IMO) they could have just as much influence as if they got 40.

Nothing to be gained by falling in with the tories who would draw the red line at trident etc anyway. This election is all about destroying labour in Scotland while further eroding the relevance of Westminster to Scots. Coalition and the ensuing power rush by london labour would enable the vow to be pretty much delivered by the snp. The real goal for the snp is the Scottish Elections in 2017 and creating a political landscape to facilitate another referendum.

Agreed. Exciting times.

Agreed? He couldn't be more wrong...

Piss off FFS

Why the fook is it not exciting ?

Edited by Ally Bongo

Piss off FFS

Why the fook is it not exciting ?

2017 Scottish elections are the most important thing for the SNP? Really?... REALLY?

Edit: and I never said it wasn't exciting you mentalist.

Edited by Scunnered

2017 Scottish elections are the most important thing for the SNP? Really?... REALLY?

Edit: and I never said it wasn't exciting you mentalist.

That's not the way I read it,I read it as these times are about the destruction of labour not just one election.

It is hard to imagine a scenario that the SNP couldn't work to their benefit ?
Either Scotland has major influence at Westminster for the 1st time ever....
OR they are locked out by an undemocratic coalition.

FWIW : I don't think Scots care if David Cameron wins another term as PM.
Whilst we don't like the Tories he, unlike Labour, is at least seen as safe pair of hands with the economy.

Ever since the referendum it is the Labour party that are now very much the bad guys.

By asking us to vote NO they turned on the very people of Scotland they apparently represent ?

I don't think Labours decimation is being reflected in support for independence... Yet.

If Scottish Labour continue on their destructive path of attacking all things SNP and giving it a "nasty separatist" tag, then the correlation will grow.

It still doesn't seem to have registered with most of them that Scotland has had enough of being taken for granted by Labour, it is up to them to change the way they do things in Scotland, not to let UK Labour pull the strings of policy detail.

If they can't do that, then it is definitely game over for them as regard vying for power in Scotland again in the near future