Coalition Scenarios - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

My dispute was that I don't agree Miliband is courting the right for votes, we'll see at what cost come May I guess.

Just watch for Burnham continue to build his reputation within the party. Only one I can see that would have a good chance of ousting Milliband at the moment. (also someone who I think would actually be a threat to the popularity of the SNP in Scotland)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watch for Burnham continue to build his reputation within the party. Only one I can see that would have a good chance of ousting Milliband at the moment. (also someone who I think would actually be a threat to the popularity of the SNP in Scotland)

I like Andy Burnham, he's probably the only politician from any British party that I trust when he speaks of the NHS, English or otherwise. I assume you stay down south? What's the press coverage like for Burnham? He's largely ignored up here from what I can see.

First rumblings today of a poll that show the SNP lead over Labour being 'halved'.

Of course, the only paper trumpeting it is The Scotsman, who have a well known pro-Labour editorial team. It was also conducted by the only known electoral expert worldwide, John Curtice...hardly a friend of the SNP....and the origins of who commisioned the poll are vague.

I trust it's a rogue poll, but I suspect it's indicative of a deliberate Scottish Labour policy of using their friends in the media to flood the papers and TV news channels with 'pro-Labour' stories.

First rumblings today of a poll that show the SNP lead over Labour being 'halved'.

Of course, the only paper trumpeting it is The Scotsman, who have a well known pro-Labour editorial team. It was also conducted by the only known electoral expert worldwide, John Curtice...hardly a friend of the SNP....and the origins of who commisioned the poll are vague.

I trust it's a rogue poll, but I suspect it's indicative of a deliberate Scottish Labour policy of using their friends in the media to flood the papers and TV news channels with 'pro-Labour' stories.

Halved? :lol: not a chance. Unless the sample was taken at a Labour branch meeting... And even then he'd be lucky if it was halved.

My dispute was that I don't agree Miliband is courting the right for votes, we'll see at what cost come May I guess.

No, it's Ballsy's job to court the centre-right.

Labour chancellors have tended to be to the right of their PM to be fair, with the exception of Gordon Brown.

Wouldn't surprise me (the propaganda I mean, not the halving of the SNPs lead, which would be out of keeping with most other polls to date). The media 'monstering' of certain SNP candidates has begun already.

Cant see a minority government working at all. This is British politics we're talking about - if there's a cheap point to be won or a government to bring down on a whim, they'll be all for it. Certainly can't see Labour surviving as a minority - the Tories will just bide their time and wait for them to f*** it up (which they will do), and they'll go for the jugular. The Tories could probably pull off a minority government but it'll be pretty brutal as the LibDems look to try and recover face by giving them a kicking when it suits. Labour's problem will be that they'll need to side with UKIP or the SNP to get things done and that's only going to undermine them north or south of the border.

I still dont want the SNP in government unless they are offered something that is too good to be true. If Labour f*** it up as I expect them to do, the SNP cannot take the hit like the LibDems have done. That said, a coalition would make it very difficult for Labour in Scotland to attack the SNP at the same time as being in government with them, but with a compliant media, anything is possible.

Very complicated. Don't see a Tory/Lab national government working at all. The British state is built upon preserving the two party politics we've had to date, and with the smaller parties starting to make an impact, they aren't about to give the LibDems, UKIP, the SNP and the Greens a major boost by being the official opposition - a sure fire way to give them a massive platform and exposure.

By time May comes around, I think we'll be looking at a Tory majority anyway. And if not, they won't be far off and will wing it - and they'll do so pretty competently in the eyes of England and Labour will be faced with an even bigger uphill struggle.

My prediction is for the Tories to be the largest party by a greater margin.

I think more people than are letting on are happy with Cameron in charge..

I think u are correct here

Cameron is hated less in Scotland than Millyfanny is....

I think more people than are letting on are happy with Cameron in charge...

Would explain the SNP's popularity I guess.

No, it's Ballsy's job to court the centre-right.

Labour chancellors have tended to be to the right of their PM to be fair, with the exception of Gordon Brown.

Absolutely.

no, bud, sunny Ratho! Just an avid politico.

• 4 weeks later...

Why a Con-Lab coalition may be needed to save the United Kingdom

says Lord Baker of Dorking

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/general-election-2015-why-a-conlab-coalition-may-be-needed-to-save-the-united-kingdom-10092247.html

There's more than a whiff of 'let's change our democracy so we can preserve our democracy'

and 'let's change what we mean by our union of equal nations, to preserve our union...'

BBC reports on this too

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31776943

Plenty of bile in the comments section, complaining about bile!

Edited by exile

To preserve the Mother of Parliaments!

I mean the principle of a government and an opposition.

So we (UK population) literally vote for one party. A one party state for all intents and purposes.

It will never happen IMO.

J

I meant the logic seemed to be: the purpose of a Con-Lab alliance be to preserve the status quo - the mother of Parliaments.

What Baker actually said was "It would indeed be ironic if, after Scottish independence had been rejected in a referendum in Scotland, it were gained in England – the Mother of Parliaments."

Generally speaking, it seems the rUK want Scotland to be part of the democracy of the Union only as long Scottish interests don't make a difference.

The SNP better not enter any coalition with Labour, it would set them back a generation. I dont think Sturgeon is daft enough to do it.

Whoever wins the most seats should setup a government, its pretty much that simple, I dont think the Tories will need to LibWhores this time anyway. The thought of Miliband in power is scary, I think Cameron will get an increase in seats, and get closer to a majority.

The BBC and Daily Mail websites are outstanding, most comments are by right wing middle English bastards who despise us for not kowtowing to them, apparently democracy isnt democracy unless we do as we are told.