James Mclean Letter Re: The Poppy - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

James Mclean Letter Re: The Poppy

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't wear a poppy.

Got respect for soldiers, but it is a career choice these days. Rather than serving your country, most wars now are fought to protect corporate interest - rather than an actual "necessity" for war.

Doesn't sit right with me

A brilliant quote from USMC Major General Smedley Butler, from his book "War is a Racket".

Sums up most modern wars that we are involved in.

"I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents."

J

• 8 months later...

Yet he's quite happy to earn a living in England?

I couldn't care less what he does when GSTQ is played. I've left Rangers Supporters Clubs before the end of the evening to avoid having to stand and face the Queens picture during that dirge of a tune. Once got threatened on the way out too. Some folk are really sad bastards about their "traditions"!

Personally I think he's starting to look a bit of a dick with his overt protestations. He doesn't even seem to understand the symbolism of the poppy so he's obviously not the brightest button.

First saw the photo and thought to myself "good on you"...... but at the back of my mind there is the thought that he is turning it into a bit of attention seeking now (there is non-English/UK players in the photo also and nobody is asking them all to give it full choir rendition).

Also, when did national anthems start becoming part of club football? I know its saved for English cup finals, but pre-season friendlies?????

Just to clarify as that post has riled me a bit. I am not for one second saying that McLean should sing the English national anthem. Personally I've never sang GSTQ in my life and would have no intention of however if I was happy enough to earn a living from an English club while living in an English town/city then I'd pay their anthem the respect it was due. Perhaps if McLean has such a problem with things like this he should consider earning his living somewhere else.

Also, when did national anthems start becoming part of club football? I know its saved for English cup finals, but pre-season friendlies?????

There was a video of a Rangers pre-season friendly in America where they played the anthems before the match. Rangers had GSTQ, was quite funny! (Think it was the match with the fairground behind the goal?)

James McLean comes across as a bit of an attention seeking twat, trying to be controversial as opposed to someone who is standing up for his beliefs.

He doesn't need to sing along, just stand there for about 1 minute.

First saw the photo and thought to myself "good on you"...... but at the back of my mind there is the thought that he is turning it into a bit of attention seeking now (there is non-English/UK players in the photo also and nobody is asking them all to give it full choir rendition).

They play the Star Spangled Banner before pretty much every sporting event in the USA, so I imagine that the played GSTQ to be respectful to WBA.

I respect the guys opinions but this does have a smell of attention seeking to me.

Just to clarify as that post has riled me a bit. I am not for one second saying that McLean should sing the English national anthem. Personally I've never sang GSTQ in my life and would have no intention of however if I was happy enough to earn a living from an English club while living in an English town/city then I'd pay their anthem the respect it was due. Perhaps if McLean has such a problem with things like this he should consider earning his living somewhere else.

That is the biggest pile of guff I have read on here for a while. Just because he believes that Britain has oppressed and murdered some of his countrymen without any hesitation, means he should not work within Britain? That is a very Britain first/EDL ideology for sure.

McLean is an attention seeking bellend and a a pretty average footballer to boot, I'd be willing to bet that he will eventually end up at Celtic where their IRA loving section of fans will lap this shit up.

McLean is an attention seeking bellend and a a pretty average footballer to boot, I'd be willing to bet that he will eventually end up at Celtic where their IRA loving section of fans will lap this shit up.

West Brom player does something and some Rangers fan uses it as an excuse to have a pop at Celtic. :lol:

Harsh, but true.

Aberdeen fan using....you know what I'll just stop there.

Come on, there's plenty legitimate reasons to have a pop at Celtic. So there's no need to invent them :lol: