James Mclean Letter Re: The Poppy - Page 7 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

James Mclean Letter Re: The Poppy

Ironically the guys only Irish because the English allowed him to choose so with the good Friday agreement.

He made his point before, he'll be vilified regardless of what he does now when the tune come on or its poppy day.

In summary, he's a dick and it's a shite song.

Edited by Debian

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a total arse - I agree that as he clearly shows distaste for all things English he should maybe consider earning a living somewhere that causes him less distress. However, to say he isn't Irish is nonsense - the Irish government grants Irish citizenship to anyone born on the island of Ireland - if McClean opts for Irish identity over British that's his choice.

They play the Star Spangled Banner before pretty much every sporting event in the USA, so I imagine that the played GSTQ to be respectful to WBA.

I respect the guys opinions but this does have a smell of attention seeking to me.

This, and when its a Canadian team v American like in hockey then both anthems are played.

Think the whole thing is been overblown a bit

Mclean comes from Creggan in Derry - a place that was badly affect by the Bloody Sunday troubles in 1972 - innocent people lost their lives at the hands of the British army - Mclean, while not been alive during the time would have been brought up with alot of resentment towards the British Army because of their actions that day due to his birthplace.....its completely understandable.

As an Irishman - I dont agree with alot of things Mclean gets up too , but on this I understand his reasons. If I was in his position I probably would have faced the english flag during the anthem as a proud Irishman ...but that is because i was born and reared in a part of Ireland that was not affected by the troubles , unlike Mcleans home place was

For those who say he shouldnt play in England if he has such strong beliefs ....thats just stupid....Its like telling a Scottish Man/Woman they shouldnt work in England if they were YES voters in ye're recent referendum.

Mclean while not facing the flag....is not overly disrespecting it as you can see by how he has his head bowed and hands joined during it.

Some of the abuse he has been getting over his actions is completely Over the top and the majority of his abusers and truly ill informed fools who have no clue about what went on in Derry in the 70's

As for the Yanks playing GSTQ at a club match in the first place....Sweet Jesus!!! :wtf:

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

Mclean comes from Creggan in Derry - a place that was badly affect by the Bloody Sunday troubles in 1972 - innocent people lost their lives at the hands of the British army - Mclean, while not been alive during the time would have been brought up with alot of resentment towards the British Army because of their actions that day due to his birthplace.....its completely understandable.

As an Irishman - I dont agree with alot of things Mclean gets up too , but on this I understand his reasons. If I was in his position I probably would have faced the english flag during the anthem as a proud Irishman ...but that is because i was born and reared in a part of Ireland that was not affected by the troubles , unlike Mcleans home place was

For those who say he shouldnt play in England if he has such strong beliefs ....thats just stupid....Its like telling a Scottish Man/Woman they shouldnt work in England if they were YES voters in ye're recent referendum.

Mclean while not facing the flag....is not overly disrespecting it as you can see by how he has his head bowed and hands joined during it.

Some of the abuse he has been getting over his actions is completely Over the top and the majority of his abusers and truly ill informed fools who have no clue about what went on in Derry in the 70's

As for the Yanks playing GSTQ at a club match in the first place....Sweet Jesus!!! :wtf:

It's nothing remotely like that.

This, and when its a Canadian team v American like in hockey then both anthems are played.

I saw the Yankees play the Blue Jays once and we got two anthems for the price of one, not to mention God Bless America, Take me out to the Ball Park and YMCA

Where do you stop with all this dickishness though ?

Is it OK to carry a political grudge against the Germans because they bombed Clydebank 70 years ago ? Should we disrespect Ireland as a country because some believe that some Irish supported murderers and terrorists ?

As far as I'm aware, the likes of Martin McGuinness and Gerry Adams have sat round the table with Ian Paisley....all of whom would seem to have more relevant reasons for disrespecting your 'enemy' than a comparative kid like McLean.

Maybe I'm missing something. Is there some relevant, up to date, political point that McLean is trying to make ? :blink::blink:

Where do you stop with all this dickishness though ?

Is it OK to carry a political grudge against the Germans because they bombed Clydebank 70 years ago ? Should we disrespect Ireland as a country because some believe that some Irish supported murderers and terrorists ?

As far as I'm aware, the likes of Martin McGuinness and Gerry Adams have sat round the table with Ian Paisley....all of whom would seem to have more relevant reasons for disrespecting your 'enemy' than a comparative kid like McLean.

Maybe I'm missing something. Is there some relevant, up to date, political point that McLean is trying to make ? :blink::blink:

You make some good points

As I said as an Irishman myself - I wouldnt do what Mclean is doing - but it is different for me due to the different areas both James and I were born in the Island of Ireland

Honestly I cant disagree with your clydebank, Paisley and Mcguinness (even though he disgusts me) points - they are fair

Im not a political man myself tbh and the actions the I.R.A and their ilk have done .....make me sick to the stomach

But what you/others view as dickishness - Mclean in his mind probably does not view it that way due to what happened in his homeplace and i do believe he is genuine in his actions due to the innocent lives lost that day

You make some good points

As I said as an Irishman myself - I wouldnt do what Mclean is doing - but it is different for me due to the different areas both James and I were born in the Island of Ireland

Honestly I cant disagree with your clydebank, Paisley and Mcguinness (even though he disgusts me) points - they are fair

Im not a political man myself tbh and the actions the I.R.A and their ilk have done .....make me sick to the stomach

But what you/others view as dickishness - Mclean in his mind probably does not view it that way due to what happened in his homeplace and i do believe he is genuine in his actions due to the innocent lives lost that day

I've no doubt at all that he's genuine in his beliefs, and even I can understand his actions regarding not wearing a poppy. That's his perogative.

You've got to wonder though where he's trying to go with this. If Adams, McGuinness, Paisley and many other despicable characters can move on for the greater good, surely McLean can as well ?

You've got to wonder though where he's trying to go with this. If Adams, McGuinness, Paisley and many other despicable characters can move on for the greater good, surely McLean can as well ?

Absolutely fair point again .....

But I guess - we are all built different for a reason.....what happened on Bloody Sunday and the disdain he has for what the British Army has been ingrained in him heavily due to the personal affect it had on his home place.

Some people can move on better than others.

You could well call it stubborness on mcleans part in not moving on but in his mind he has a fair and logical reason for doing what he does and to him its a show of respect to ppl who died that day.

Honestly - if for one minute , I believe Mclean's actions were done out purely because he was been a Dick and troublemaker.....I would be the first to say sack him. Because if that were the case, not only would he be disrepecting GSTQ and his host country, he would also be disrespecting every innocent life lost in the Northern Ireland troubles....both catholic and protestant

This is quite a reasonable debate!

What's happened?

:lol:

You both make some good points.

Personally, I feel with McLean it's a bit of a show, rather than genuine actions, but I might be misreading it? I don't know what it's like being brought up where he was.

Edited by sbcmfc

Serious question. Are his anti-British establishment views a show of respect for the innocents who died in Derry during Bloody Sunday, or are they a show of support for the more sinister side of Irish republicanism ?

I don't know. Maybe in the past he's condemned the terrorist murders by the IRA ? :blink:

McLean is an attention seeking bellend and a a pretty average footballer to boot, I'd be willing to bet that he will eventually end up at Celtic where their IRA loving section of fans will lap this shit up.

Your such a big Sunderland fan. Not even a little bit of a Rangers fan.

How many more innocent people have the British army killed compared to the IRA?

Serious question. Are his anti-British establishment views a show of respect for the innocents who died in Derry during Bloody Sunday, or are they a show of support for the more sinister side of Irish republicanism ?

I don't know. Maybe in the past he's condemned the terrorist murders by the IRA ? :blink:

Your army are the real terrorists. You know it.

You have any idea what plantations and british aggression did to Ireland?

How many more innocent people have the British army killed compared to the IRA?

In Ireland?

I don't think there's many on here, certainly not on this thread who are big fans of the army, or more so the politicians sending them to war and reasons behind it.

I don't hold it against the boys (and girls) in the army though, as I doubt any of them signed up to hurt or kill innocent people.

Personally, I feel with McLean it's a bit of a show, rather than genuine actions, but I might be misreading it? I don't know what it's like being brought up where he was.

It could well be a bit of show - I most certainly cant guarantee his actions are genuine as i dont know the lad in anyway .

I just believe/hope they are genuine and that they are done with good intentions due partially to the that fact 6/7 people who died on Bloody sunday were from the creggan estate (Mcleans Home place)

I'd hope/think they are for those who died.

If honest Im sure Mclean would like a united Ireland - but the sinister side of Irish Republicanism was particulary nasty - many innocent lives were lost from their actions....I would hope/believe mclean never could/would support that

If any person cannot condemn the innocent lives taken by the IRA then its an outrage....I cant say he has condemned their murders...I dont know....but I would be of the belief like any normal person he is of that mindset

Anyway Folks - I appreciate yere points - I will leave it at that

Cheers :ok:

In Ireland?

I don't think there's many on here, certainly not on this thread who are big fans of the army, or more so the politicians sending them to war and reasons behind it.

I don't hold it against the boys (and girls) in the army though, as I doubt any of them signed up to hurt or kill innocent people.

Yeah right you know what you sign up for.

Yeah right you know what you sign up for.

I'd imagine more sign up to learn a trade, to travel, to earn a decent living.

Shooting Catholics and towel heads is pretty low on the list of reasons for joining the armed forces I'm sure.