Scotland v Northern Ireland Match Thread - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Northern Ireland Match Thread

Tartan blood

11 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And if I were Gers Northern Irish I'd be more worried about when they'll next play in a major championship. No worries about our support. It is welcomed and loved around the world.

If/when we do next qualify, at least there's a chance we'll get beyond the group stages. 😉

Not that winning/qualifying is the be-all-and-end-all for us - as the song goes: "We're not Brazil, we're Northern Ireland - but it's all the same to me"

Anyhow, I came on here to see what Scottish fans thought about last night's game, not engage in the usual tribal pish that games like this sometimes bring out in certain quarters.

I'm pleased to see that the majority of posters are the same, with a lot of interesting comments - I trust you'll understand if I don't engage with you further.

Edited by AwayInAManger

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

My annoyance is we play friendlies and never try anything - the sum total of our experimentation last night was taking a bloke on who's doing mint in Serie A and giving Shankland 15 minutes.   

Patterson was having a honker but understandably wanted to keep him on - why not play him right wing second half and have a right back behind him?  Try the same with Robertson and Tierney next friendlies (and hopefully Hickey back) then the wide problem is fixed for 4-5-1 as an option. 

Instead we had 5 center midfielders just clogging up space last night. 

Why not chuck someone in from the u21s and all?  If they're shit nothing lost but if they have a good game it might help them break through at their club.   

👍👍👍👍👍

1 minute ago, AwayInAManger said:

At least if/when we do next qualify, at least there's a chance we'll get beyond the group stages. Not that winning/qualifying is the be-all-and-end-all for us - as the song goes: [i]"We're not Brazil, we're Northern Ireland - but it's all the same to me"[/i]

Anyhow, I came on here to see what Scottish fans thought about last night's game, not engage in the usual tribal pish that games like this sometimes bring out in certain quarters.

I'm pleased to see that the majority of posters are the same, with a lot of interesting comments - I trust you'll understand if I don't engage with you further.

Suits me fine. And we leave the tribal pish to NI fans who were full of it last night. Have a good day.

38 minutes ago, AwayInAManger said:

Yeah, you see and hear whatever suits you.

Anyhow, If I were you I'd be more worried about my own support - when they weren't booing they were deathly quiet, no?

You are not wrong. Our support was truly honking last night . Folk can go on about the team giving them nothing to cheer about but there was not even any build up in a stadium where a reasonable crowd were in early .  We have qualified for the Euros,  I would have thought that was some sort of justification for atmosphere at the start . 
Away fans will always bring some noise , it’s often a hard core of dedicated support and they have usually been drinking all day.
It’s not so much fun jumping on a bus from work or driving on a freezing Tuesday night, but jeezo we were pathetic . 

As far as your support goes, I have never really bundled NI in with the ‘England’ rivalry, but the twice I have witnessed the fans has not been particularly pleasant . Might be a home nation thing but I think its probably a bit more bitter than that, no doubt fuelled by royalty, politics and some fans of a certain Scottish club. I would personally rather leave that at home. On both sides. 

Your team deserved to win, you did what you had to , but I will not be rushing back in the future to witness our revenge 🙂

42 minutes ago, Andy of Lochcarron said:

Anyone on here defending N Ireland fans is NOT a Scottish fan….they are vile hate ridden people whose sole purpose is to perpetuate out dated sectarian garbage that has no place in present day society-end of

I spent a year at Queen's Uni in Belfast and had friends who were Unionists and friends who were Republicans but having witnessed the display last night I can understand why Catholics/Republicans may feel they don't want to play for them.

7 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes and That analogy sums them up as Celtic and Rangers are renowned for the poison they bring to matches with bigotted and confrontational chants in a bid to solely aggravate people.

That sums up their support perfectly. They were more interested in aggravating. Their interest on the pitch was and is minimal given how much hope there is to be excited about on the pitch. 

What chants were aggravating:-

Everywhere they go Scotland get battered....confrontational

John McGinn what a w***er what a w***er....confrontational

Something along lines of Euros your having a laugh.....confrontational

Lots more today before we even get into the Rule Brittania and Dambusters pish. Wtf that has to do with Northern Ireland god knows.

They done a lot of singing but right now I cannot thing of one chant about their players or team even after they scored.

Detestable tossers. Worst bunch of nobody and no-hoper supporters to grace Hampden.

really?  These chants upset you?  I think we need only look to our own support for confrontational chants…. “Lizzys in a box”…. “Harry Kane licks the windows on the bus”… etc. booing their national anthem which I find very distasteful.

we all play by our own rules on this but my own personal view is that chants are sticks and stones stuff, but I do not like disrespect to another nations anthems.

7 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes and That analogy sums them up as Celtic and Rangers are renowned for the poison they bring to matches with bigotted and confrontational chants in a bid to solely aggravate people.

That sums up their support perfectly. They were more interested in aggravating. Their interest on the pitch was and is minimal given how much hope there is to be excited about on the pitch. 

Lots more today before we even get into the Rule Brittania and Dambusters pish. Wtf that has to do with Northern Ireland god knows.

They done a lot of singing but right now I cannot thing of one chant about their players or team even after they scored.

Detestable tossers. Worst bunch of nobody and no-hoper supporters to grace Hampden.

Your reply made sense to Malcolms contradictory  post. Dont get sucked in any more in he is on the deliberate wind up. 

Probably the last thing I'll post about last night but one of the things that was so disappointing was following on from the Dutch game. All the noises from the camp after that defeat were encouraging, players raging, angry that they'd got beat. Supporter looking for a reaction, players up for it and then...

Ouch.

that game hurt. Well done first off to the N Ireland players , they certainly raised their game. 
not sure what hurt most . The commentary, the performance mostly but also felt sorry for the home crowd enduring the vocal visitors. 
what a song list they had .. God Save the Queen (camilla?) / King. Rule Britannia ( whatever that has to do with micks ) and the favourite Unionist greeting of Scotland get batteries every where they go . 
such a charm school.

i can’t be the only one, though some will be proud, to be sad that a fair number didn’t need the ferry home after expressing their hate for Scotland and the Scottish. 
they can stick their fukin hating up their arses. You know they’ll enjoy it likely. 

8 hours ago, Hercules Rockefeller said:

Agree about Fraser - offers us pace and the ability to beat a man. Depressing as it is there were zero wingers with any speed in that squad.

Really scraping the barrel other than Fraser. Who else is there? Not particularly enamoured with the prospect of Burke, Wright, Morgan or Forrest being called up.

Good question. Burke has had his chance, Forrest is past it and Morgan and Wright probably aren't good enough.

Outwith Fraser there is Ben Doak, who, to my mind, isn't quite ready yet, based on his appearances for Liverpool in the Europa League.

There's also Danny Armstrong of Kilmarnock, who I've only ever watched on Sportscene highlights but who always seems to produce an assist or a goal. I suspect if he was the answer to our prayers he wouldn't still be at Kilmarnock though. 

11 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Unfortunately most of the passes made by those 3 players were to each other. That sort of tippy tappy shyte does ma nut in. It's OK to do that if we are a couple of goals up and just trying to play out time. Or, if you want to give the rest of the team a breather but most of our players last night barely got past walking pace. All it did last night was to slow our game down which was pedestrian to start with.

does ma nut in as well 👍

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I can categorically say I will never be back at another NI game. I thought the last one was maybe just a bad experience.
Was laughable right enough hearing them singing almost continuously about Scotland being  ‘ battered ‘ everywhere we go when they are up just 1-0 in a friendly yet we have qualified from the group for the Euros.

Kinda actually lends weight to the  ‘thick Irish’ title that is jokingly bestowed upon them 🙄

It would probably not have been so irritating if we had performed better but there is definitely a nasty side to their support. 

The funny thing is, most Northern Irish prods - who I suspect make up the overwhelming majority of their support - are basically Scots, or the descendants of Scots to be exact. Ne'er-do-well Scots; pain-in-the-arse Scots; Scots who couldn't fit in in Scotland and who everyone else hated so much they were paid to leave Scots, mibbe, but Scots nonetheless.

Their descendants, doubtless including some of the people at Hampden last night, still claim the Scots language as part of their culture and even occasionally fly the saltire (both of which are fair enough), so it is weird to see them cosplaying as a low-rent version of the England support, flags and anti-Scottish songs included. Maybe it's intergenerational resentment against the land who evicted their forebears.  🤔

I mind catching a train from Central to the friendly in 2008 and bunch of them got on, mainly guys in their twenties and thirties, clearly with a drink in them. They weren't as obnoxious as some of the arseholes from last night but almost every song they sang was an attempt to goad the rest of the train, which might have made sense and might even have made for good banter if had been full of bevvied-up TA guys of a similar vintage, but most of the carriage consisted of auld guys and families with weans on the way to the game, and the odd unfortunate commuter. It was just a bit odd. 

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

really?  These chants upset you?  I think we need only look to our own support for confrontational chants…. “Lizzys in a box”…. “Harry Kane licks the windows on the bus”… etc. booing their national anthem which I find very distasteful.

we all play by our own rules on this but my own personal view is that chants are sticks and stones stuff, but I do not like disrespect to another nations anthems.

But Lizzy is in a box - it's just a fact - whereas Scotland don't get battered everywhere we go (at least not in proper matches anyway).

I don't know if Harry Kane licks bus windows or not though, but he looks like he might.

Patterson utterly shot of form and confidence. Ralston couldn’t do any worse. But in the absence of Hickey, I’d be tempted to try Max Johnston. Youngster playing regularly at a club in a title race (ok not in a standout league, but no worse than the Scottish Premiership). Looked good for the under 21s. Patterson a couple of years ago looked great. But right now he is abysmal and a weak link. Maybe he’ll turn it round. Maybe not. Worth giving a shot to another youngster on an upward curve in their career and presumably brimming with confidence.

3 hours ago, Shaundy said:

that game hurt. Well done first off to the N Ireland players , they certainly raised their game. 
not sure what hurt most . The commentary, the performance mostly but also felt sorry for the home crowd enduring the vocal visitors. 
what a song list they had .. God Save the Queen (camilla?) / King. Rule Britannia ( whatever that has to do with micks ) and the favourite Unionist greeting of Scotland get batteries every where they go
such a charm school.

i can’t be the only one, though some will be proud, to be sad that a fair number didn’t need the ferry home after expressing their hate for Scotland and the Scottish. 
they can stick their fukin hating up their arses. You know they’ll enjoy it likely. 

Might've helped if they'd got them recharged at half-time.

Edited by daviebee

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

The funny thing is, most Northern Irish prods - who I suspect make up the overwhelming majority of their support - are basically Scots, or the descendants of Scots to be exact. Ne'er-do-well Scots; pain-in-the-arse Scots; Scots who couldn't fit in in Scotland and who everyone else hated so much they were paid to leave Scots, mibbe, but Scots nonetheless.

Their descendants, doubtless including some of the people at Hampden last night, still claim the Scots language as part of their culture and even occasionally fly the saltire (both of which are fair enough), so it is weird to see them cosplaying as a low-rent version of the England support, flags and anti-Scottish songs included. Maybe it's intergenerational resentment against the land who evicted their forebears.  🤔

I mind catching a train from Central to the friendly in 2008 and bunch of them got on, mainly guys in their twenties and thirties, clearly with a drink in them. They weren't as obnoxious as some of the arseholes from last night but almost every song they sang was an attempt to goad the rest of the train, which might have made sense and might even have made for good banter if had been full of bevvied-up TA guys of a similar vintage, but most of the carriage consisted of auld guys and families with weans on the way to the game, and the odd unfortunate commuter. It was just a bit odd. 

But Lizzy is in a box - it's just a fact - whereas Scotland don't get battered everywhere we go (at least not in proper matches anyway).

I don't know if Harry Kane licks bus windows or not though, but he looks like he might.

😂 honestly chants at football don’t bother me - I really don’t care.  I do think it’s very ignorant to boo a national anthem.

44 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Patterson utterly shot of form and confidence. Ralston couldn’t do any worse. But in the absence of Hickey, I’d be tempted to try Max Johnston. Youngster playing regularly at a club in a title race (ok not in a standout league, but no worse than the Scottish Premiership). Looked good for the under 21s. Patterson a couple of years ago looked great. But right now he is abysmal and a weak link. Maybe he’ll turn it round. Maybe not. Worth giving a shot to another youngster on an upward curve in their career and presumably brimming with confidence.

Patterson needs a session with a sports psychologist to get his head back in the game. If he's performing like that in training at his club then it's no wonder he's not in the team. Where did the brash, confident player that's in there go? He looked great when he first broke into the team.

Funny how quickly things change.  Not that long ago we were wondering how we could fit any combo of Hickey, Patterson and Ramsay into the team as they'd all be too good to leave out.

3 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

😂 honestly chants at football don’t bother me - I really don’t care.  I do think it’s very ignorant to boo a national anthem.

It tends to only be one anthem in particular, TBF.

36 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Patterson needs a session with a sports psychologist to get his head back in the game. If he's performing like that in training at his club then it's no wonder he's not in the team. Where did the brash, confident player that's in there go? He looked great when he first broke into the team.

Funny how quickly things change.  Not that long ago we were wondering how we could fit any combo of Hickey, Patterson and Ramsay into the team as they'd all be too good to leave out.

Is the current version of Nathan Patterson - as witnessed last night - worth persisting with?

Barring catastrophic injuries to Coleman and Godfrey, he won't be seeing Everton's first team again this season. His inclusion in the Euro 24 squad is therefore tenuous at best. In the absence of first team action to improve his sharpness, how can his inclusion even be considered?

Edited by Barney Rubble

16 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Is the current version of Nathan Patterson - as witnessed last night - worth persisting with?

Barring catastrophic injuries to Coleman and Godfrey, he won't be seeing Everton's first team again this season. His inclusion in the Euro 24 squad is therefore tenuous at best. In the absence of first team action to improve his sharpness, how can his inclusion even be considered?

Which beggars the point,why didn’t we have a look at Ralston. 
Maybe a third right back instead of a 4th keeper would have been an idea. 

I actually thought the Northern Ireland fans supported their team well and sang pretty much throughout the match. 

75% of their singing was the 'Scotland get battered' song. Personally found it funny as we don't and it's just a bit of banter. Anyone offended by that really should give up football 🤣

The other songs? Not massively offensive tbh. Whatever floats their boat. I've heard worse chants from our fans, the 'Harry Kane' one being an example and before anyone says, it was sung by more than just a small minority. We've even got someone defending it above 🙈

23 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If those chants bother you I suggest you take up watching Lawn Bowls or something

8 hours ago, dezmondo said:

I actually thought the Northern Ireland fans supported their team well and sang pretty much throughout the match. 

75% of their singing was the 'Scotland get battered' song. Personally found it funny as we don't and it's just a bit of banter. Anyone offended by that really should give up football 🤣

The other songs? Not massively offensive tbh. Whatever floats their boat. I've heard worse chants from our fans, the 'Harry Kane' one being an example and before anyone says, it was sung by more than just a small minority. We've even got someone defending it above 🙈

Thats some interpretation of ‘support’. They were as hostile as hell and their ‘song sheet’ was 90% provocation . I suppose thats what happens when you are a wee extension of England. 
I personally wasn’t offended in any way, as I mentioned earlier, it just made them sound like fannies. I was more irritated, the constant ‘ Scotland getting battered’ song was like listening to those vuvuzelas  for 90 mins. Or Doh a Deer. 
But if I ever do get offended I will take your sound advice and join a wee sewing bee or something  equally suitable for women and those of an easily offended disposition 👍

19 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Thats some interpretation of ‘support’. They were as hostile as hell and their ‘song sheet’ was 90% provocation . I suppose thats what happens when you are a wee extension of England. 
I personally wasn’t offended in any way, as I mentioned earlier, it just made them sound like fannies. I was more irritated, the constant ‘ Scotland getting battered’ song was like listening to those vuvuzelas  for 90 mins. Or Doh a Deer. 
But if I ever do get offended I will take your sound advice and join a wee sewing bee or something  equally suitable for women and those of an easily offended disposition 👍

Mostly agree, the Dezmondo post must be a joke…… going into the ground we were subjected to a group of them singing ‘no surrender’ ‘up to their knees’ . The point is most of us are not offended or bothered by opposing fans chants, but the vile hate that they spout I do get bothered about as it has no place in our society present day….as i said previously anybody defending that shit probably has their leanings.

Some of the people commenting on this forum probably don’t go to matches at home let alone abroad- every single foreign national anthem is applauded by Scotland fans genuinely,except one.

I am nearly 66 & spent my whole life following Scotland everywhere & I am proud to be part of the TA, I behave with a welcoming cordial genial demeanour when in contact with opposing fans & so do the vast majority of the TA, I will make one exception where I have been attacked & spat on-on more than one occasion, (even once when I had my daughter & grandson with me) by the englunders for no apparent reason other than I had the kilt on. Not once have I have encountered such an issue elsewhere or with other opposition fans at Hampden.

i repeat anybody defending NI fans & for that matter engerlunders is for the ignorant