Reflections on the campaign - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Reflections on the campaign

exile

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like we're not the only team to have a bit of a drop off in perfomance once we've qualified looking at the England and Denmark results. That worked to our advantage against Denmark in WC qualifying but definitely against us when Ireland beat Germany in Euro 2016 qualification.

I'd imagine clubs would be furious if their player were injured in an insignificant match.

1 hour ago, BryanBlessed said:

Looks like we're not the only team to have a bit of a drop off in perfomance once we've qualified looking at the England and Denmark results. That worked to our advantage against Denmark in WC qualifying but definitely against us when Ireland beat Germany in Euro 2016 qualification.

I'd imagine clubs would be furious if their player were injured in an insignificant match.

As what happened to young Gavi the other night, imagine Barca are not too pleased. 

I know it was ana accident and could have happened in training but,,,, meaningless match.

2 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Think just at the stage were there was very little to play for, as you basically had Ukraine v Italy and Slovenia v Kazakhstan that had any real spice about them, whereas everything else seemed very lackluster (I think Wales v Croatia tonight is the biggest game with any real meaning by some distance)

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

How come NI can beat Denmark in a dead rubber yet we usually mess these games up? We nearly lost the other night.

Jeez, I thought the old 'Why can't we be more like Northern Ireland?' was well and truly over, apparently not 🙄

4 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

How come NI can beat Denmark in a dead rubber yet we usually mess these games up? We nearly lost the other night.

I’m sorry but this is just utterly laughable. When you take all the things into consideration for the two outcomes that you have noted you conclude with that utter simpleton tripe? And you might want to check our last result against Denmark at home and the context of the game itself. We didn’t “mess that up” did we

42 minutes ago, JECK said:

I’m sorry but this is just utterly laughable. When you take all the things into consideration for the two outcomes that you have noted you conclude with that utter simpleton tripe? And you might want to check our last result against Denmark at home and the context of the game itself. We didn’t “mess that up” did we

Fully agree.

The old we 'mess it up' shite is tiresome at best. It is a cliche you could use for every game and in our last three campaigns we have played 22 matches winning 15 drawing 4 and losing 3. Not much chance of that cliche holding up. Try some new patter.

I am likely not bringing anything new to this discussion.  When we started the campaign with 2 wins and Norway starting with 1 point it was a massive swing in our favor.  Tierney's breaking run on the left against Spain is one of my favorite Scotland goals ever.  I have a massive grin watching that to this day.  At that point it felt good to me that we had some buffer, I was prepared for a draw against Norway, who were far better than us when we played them, but we snatched the win - again the feel-good factor was at 11. We were three for three, and I might regret this later but the 3 points away to Cyprus were almost a certainty.  We went into the summer on 12 points, Norway on 4 and Spain on 3 - it clearly was not an accurate reflection on Spain who played far less, but I took comfort that they looked at the league and when their fixtures came around, they would have been determined to take care of their business. I had a quiet thought that topping the group was a possibility.  September, another win for us and then it was getting the napkin out thinking what the minimum points was we needed to get qualification assured, also looking at Norway who needed MAXIMUM points in their last 3 we seemed destined to make it to Germany, it would have taken multiple "Iwelumos" for us to mess up this chance.  What was strange over the last three matches, rather than looking at other groups for playoff chances, my brain cycles were taken up looking at other groups thinking what the plausible outcomes were and the permutations for our pot. 

What made the difference?  I think the addition of Gunn was massive along with finding a trusted defender in Porteous - a pleasant surprise.  McTominay enjoying his football, clearly him and Clarke have a great relationship.  We had a few breaks go our way, Norway dropping early points and us going on a 5-game stream of wins.  Also being a pot 2 team, which may have taken us 20 years to get back to this position shows how important it is. 

Scotland bucket list for the next few years - make the 2nd round next Summer in Germany and.......qualify for the World Cup in my backyard in 2026. 

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

Think just at the stage were there was very little to play for, as you basically had Ukraine v Italy and Slovenia v Kazakhstan that had any real spice about them, whereas everything else seemed very lackluster (I think Wales v Croatia tonight is the biggest game with any real meaning by some distance)

Turkey. Although they do need Croatia to slip up as well, so I suppose it is kinda like Wales v Croatia.

54 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Nice one. Thanks for that, cheered me up.

Remember that game well. Watched it in the long gone William Wallace pub in Marylebone, when the screen would freeze if anyone used their mobile (imagine that now?). There were only about 4 or 5 people there as it was a dead rubber. Not sure if I’ve seen us score 3 better goals in the same game. We were singing ‘it’s just like watching Brazil’!

12 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Made a pretty tricky group relatively straightforward, more of that please for the World cup qualies in 18 months.

Only disappointment is not being 1st as that would've been a real statement but ultimately Spain won the games they needed to home and away.

Part of me glad we didn't end on the same points as Spain. Imagine how galling that would be knowing that Hickeys slip had, essentially, cost us top spot.

Still seething about Mctominays disallowed goal mind 😡

21 minutes ago, GroundsKeeper said:

Haaland get a dodgy pen in Oslo ( UEFA wanted Haaland at euros and not scotland), 

And that is based on what evidence exactly?......

Norway picked up 1 point from their first 3 games (so they were on the back foot before we even played them in Oslo) and the penalty was not "dodgy", light at best yes (if Porteous had not been tugging on the Norwegian players shirt, he probably would have MAYBE got away with it any other time, but he was literally ripping it off him) 

Edited by wanderer

17 minutes ago, GroundsKeeper said:

Clarkes a lucky manager.

Spain defender slips we go one up and beat Sapin.

Haaland get a dodgy pen in Oslo ( UEFA wanted Haaland at euros and not scotland), 

Norway takes Haaland off and we get two late goals.

Job done.

Nothing wrong with being lucky

Clarke is far from lucky. If you look at it that way then everything a country or manager achieves could be attributed to luck. 

We played well for most of the campaign and defended well and our best players scored vital goals when needed. Most goals in football have a certain element of defensive error.

Overall we deserved our results imo, maybe the Norway away game was a bit of lucky one but every country gets these results from time to time.

Clarke has the team well drilled and we play some decent football at times. Any bits of luck we get are usually well deserved because we have played well and created chances.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

And that is based on what evidence exactly?......

Norway picked up 1 point from their first 3 games (so they were on the back foot before we even played them in Oslo) and the penalty was not "dodgy", light at best yes (if Porteous had not been tugging on the Norwegian players shirt, he probably would have MAYBE got away with it any other time, but he was literally ripping it off him) 

Was  a very soft penalty in Oslo. Not for me.

That was enough evidence.

Just my opinion

1 minute ago, GroundsKeeper said:

Was  a very soft penalty in Oslo. Not for me.

That was enough evidence.

Just my opinion

So not dodgy?....

Watch the highlights, Michael Stewart (who makes no secret how much he hates VAR and what its done for penalties) says its soft, but at no point does not say that it was not a penalty. 

Norway got cocky in a game they thought they had won, and we punished them for it, was as simple as that.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Clarke is far from lucky. If you look at it that way then everything a country or manager achieves could be attributed to luck. 

We played well for most of the campaign and defended well and our best players scored vital goals when needed. Most goals in football have a certain element of defensive error.

Overall we deserved our results imo, maybe the Norway away game was a bit of lucky one but every country gets these results from time to time.

Clarke has the team well drilled and we play some decent football at times. Any bits of luck we get are usually well deserved because we have played well and created chances.

Serbia play off.

Clarke takes Mcginn off and Serbia run over the top of us and equalise.

Penalties and Marshall saves his bacon.

I am a big Clarke fan and ofcourse he is tactically aware and deserves lot of credit.

But he's a lucky manger.

We got a dong in Dublin and were 1 down in Armenia.

Their best player gets sent off. Scotland win comfortably.

Another fortunate event. Again lucky is good and I hope the luck keeps running.

2 minutes ago, wanderer said:

So not dodgy?....

Watch the highlights, Michael Stewart (who makes no secret how much he hates VAR and what its done for penalties) says its soft, but at no point does not say that it was not a penalty. 

Norway got cocky in a game they thought they had won, and we punished them for it, was as simple as that.

Haaland was never scoring in open play. He was helped by the ref. 

Dodgy / Soft/ Cheating

Not as dodgy as Seville though but still a helping hand.