Nations League 2024-2025 - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nations League 2024-2025

Rich NATA

4 hours ago, DesiScotsman said:

This is what I seen online:

World Cup qualifying starts in 2025, and the 12 European group winners will automatically qualify. 

Twelve runners-up will then enter play-offs, but there will be four other spots, which will be taken by the four best-ranked Nations League group winners who have not finished first or second in regular qualifying.

This means teams who are unlikely to finish top or second when qualifying starts can still make the World Cup via a good Nations League campaign.

Ah 12 groups is it? They're completely desperate for an Italy or Holland not to miss yet another World cup!😂 Even though it's smaller groups, 3-4 extra places with the 48 team nonsense and also the nations league play offs to fall back on.

12 groups does mean 9-12 seeds won't be that strong so aim needs to be to have a decent nations group and get into the 2nd seeds spot which should be realistic given the huge progress in last three years.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, bookerman said:

Just to remember fokes,they changed the rules of the nation league again, the top 2 go into a qualter final phase. 3rd gose into a relgation playoff with a 2nd place team in Group B and bottum gose straight down. So still a lot to play for to not finish last.

When are those games supposed to be played if World cup qualifying is during all of 2025? Please don't tell me they'll be four games in June again as that was a nonsense last time having to play three nations league matches after the Ukraine defeat.

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

When are those games supposed to be played if World cup qualifying is during all of 2025? Please don't tell me they'll be four games in June again as that was a nonsense last time having to play three nations league matches after the Ukraine defeat.

March 2025 for the playoffs and quarterfinals

June 2025 if we advance to the semi finals 

So the competition has been expanded as if Scotland finish 1st or 2nd they qualify for the quarter-finals when it used to be just semi-finals. Even finishing third in the group will mean an extra fixture as we would then face a play-off match from a runner-up in League B with the winner playing in League A in the next iteration and the loser being relegated.

Fixtures are out:-

Thursday 5th September 2024: SCOTLAND V Poland 7.45 pm

Sunday 8th September 2024: Portugal V SCOTLAND 7.45 pm

Saturday 12th October 2024: Croatia V SCOTLAND 6.00 pm

Tuesday 15th October 2024: SCOTLAND V Portugal 7.45 pm

Friday 15th November 2024: SCOTLAND V Croatia 7.45 pm

Monday 18th November 2024: Poland V SCOTLAND 7.45 pm

Edited by Caledonian Craig

18 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

3 very nice potential away trips though guess we have to wait patiently for venues to be announced .

On another note, I was quite proud watching a draw & being a top seed yesterday but that was slightly dampened when I saw Israel & Bosnia where also top seeds. I haven't the patience anymore to investigate why myself but wtf have those 2 done to warrant being top seeds? 

Booked Portugal this morning. Saturday-Tuesday so doesn't really matter too much where it is as plenty of time to get there and back.

Croatia I'm holding off, they've not used Maksimir stadium as often as they used to after the damage a few years back. Poland being November means still a good number of budget airlines to go on sale yet so can take my time with that one.

Edited by Barry89

1 minute ago, theabsentee said:

On another note, I was quite proud watching a draw & being a top seed yesterday but that was slightly dampened when I saw Israel & Bosnia where also top seeds. I haven't the patience anymore to investigate why myself but wtf have those 2 done to warrant being top seeds? 

They won their Nations League Group B last time round just like we did.

6 minutes ago, Silversand said:

A quick glance on t'internet show the 3 countries move their home matches about ☹️

Yeah not ideal but Poland in Warsaw is a pretty safe bet, I’m sure they have a national stadium they use more often than not

36 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

That’s a very simplistic and somewhat disrespectful take you’ve displayed there. I’m sure fans of the other 15 teams would have thought the exact same about us.

For Portugal it's 2hr50mins on the train between Lisbon and Porto and 8 of their last 11 competitive matches have been in either of them with most being Lisbon. 2 of the remaining 3 were against Luxembourg where presumably they expected a smaller crowd.

They have spread their 4 friendlies across the country in March and June so I'd think they'll be back to Lisbon and Porto for the Nations League more than likely.

2 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

That’s a very simplistic and somewhat disrespectful take you’ve displayed there. I’m sure fans of the other 15 teams would have thought the exact same about us.

Then those fans of the other 15 teams are also being disrespectful 🤔

Edited by todd

47 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

That’s a load of rubbish tbh. Just like ourselves, they have got their on merit by winning their nations league group to get promoted.

Edited by DesiScotsman

12 hours ago, DesiScotsman said:

I hope we do the same but knowing how the SFA operate, money is going to be at the forefront of their minds so won't be surprised if the public sale after the SSC one is a free for all.

If Wales are willing to do it then why can't we. Especially if we have a decent euros. Would be no problem selling that game out(more so because it is the first game) to fans that bought tickets in the public sale for the euro qualfiers. Free for all would be a big mistake. Then again as you say it is the sfa we are talking about. 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Croatia is October school holidays here you absolute dancer!  

We won't get away tickets I doubt but tempted to go in the home end although probably need to double check they're not absolutely fucking mental before committing! 

Edit: They're fucking mental - will watch by the pool! 

Edited by ThistleWhistle

I wonder when the tickets for these games as well as the home friendlies against Northern Ireland & Finland will be going on sale to the SSC?

Ticketing site is currently under maintenance and I’ve been refreshing my mailbox a fair few times but no e-mail yet from the ticketing department.

5 minutes ago, DesiScotsman said:

I wonder when the tickets for these games as well as the home friendlies against Northern Ireland & Finland will be going on sale to the SSC?

Ticketing site is currently under maintenance and I’ve been refreshing my mailbox a fair few times but no e-mail yet from the ticketing department.

Try again now, details announced.👍

16 hours ago, DesiScotsman said:

Group winners in League C automatically go into the playoffs for the Euros and not at the expense of anyone else. Just like this years one, being the Path C winners who are in the playoffs (Greece, Georgia, Kazakhstan & Luxembourg).

The Nations League determining of who gets a play off spot for the Euros is different to how it operates for the World Cup edition as obviously lesser teams involved. We will need to wait and see closer to the time when the conclusion of those World Cup qualifying groups are concluded and what the picture is.

True, just means there will be some crappy teams in the WC playoff route rather than getting a straight two game shot into the Euros. 

Is it not Nations League playoff winners will play second in the groups? 

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Croatia is October school holidays here you absolute dancer!  

We won't get away tickets I doubt but tempted to go in the home end although probably need to double check they're not absolutely fucking mental before committing! 

Edit: They're fucking mental - will watch by the pool! 

😄